N-Europe

Another "I'm buying a new PC" thread!

The fish

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going AMD isn't worth it above the 6000+ so bare that in mind. The E7300 tares the 6400+ and 8750 to pieces and is slightly cheaper than both of them. I'd really recommend not going AMD really, no upgrade route (and that's coming from someone running all AMD parts, even my RAM is branded by the big Red :p)

It's about 10 inches long iirc so is the 9800/8800 give or take an inch or two.

@McPhee, your Gigabyte board is a P35 right? I believe those are old enough to require the update, as I heard it anything older than a P45 will need it.

Gigabyte have been shipping these for months now with the 45nm update pre-installed. Unless Mr Fish is very, very unlucky then there won't be an update needed.

Especially Leetpants, he seems to know more than is healthy. :hmm:

I'm...I'm not sure if that should be taken as an insult or not... :confused:

Actually though I just know other people that know alot and pick little things up. After this endeavor you'll have picked things up that you can pass on.

Gigabyte have been shipping these for months now with the 45nm update pre-installed. Unless Mr Fish is very, very unlucky then there won't be an update needed.

Good to know.

Bah you edited, now I have to.

AMD actually has a very good upgrade route, their upcoming Deneb (Phenom II, Socket AM3) will work in with the AM2 Socket. AM2 will not however work in AM3. This is a pretty nice backwards compatible strategy really. Plus, Deneb runs like high C2D and Core i7, but there aren't really any real world results yet.

Point is, if you have an AM2/AM2+ board you have a viable upgrade without dropping 300 on a new board.

Oh and the Phenom II's can apparently hit 4Ghz on Air cooling and reportedly can go much further (beyond 6) with Liquid Nitrogen.

I'm...I'm not sure if that should be taken as an insult or not... :confused:

Actually though I just know other people that know alot and pick little things up. After this endeavor you'll have picked things up that you can pass on.

It's kind of a joke insult - you know a lot about a subject that is regarded by most as being very nerdy, something some people think of as being a bad thing, because people are stupid like that.

Your advice is most handy, and I'll do my best to remember what you're all teaching me to pass on when called upon. :)

Yup I brought a p35 gigabyte board in July maybe and the box is covered in 45nm optimised propaganda

The boards I'm looking at on the site are all covered in such propaganda. However, closer inspection of their websites/forums says otherwise. What I really need is out of the box support.

It's kind of a joke insult - you know a lot about a subject that is regarded by most as being very nerdy, something some people think of as being a bad thing, because people are stupid like that.

Muahahaha I too was just joking, you fell right into my trap.

Muahahaha I too was just joking, you fell right into my trap.

I heard there was a trap about, though I'd never have imagined it would be like this - I was expecting something involving a hole in the ground covered with a net and leaves, and when I stand on it, I get hoisted up into the tree in the net. It sounds like it would have been fun. :(

The boards I'm looking at on the site are all covered in such propaganda. However, closer inspection of their websites/forums says otherwise. What I really need is out of the box support.

Its most likely down to what revision of that particular mobo it is. My mobo is revision 2.1, which when doing some research since I don't have a 45nm processor apparently does work out of the box. Even so I think the only problem you'd have is if you ended up with a rev 1.1 board that has been sitting around in a warehouse for a long time.

Board I have is the GA-P35-DS3

Going AMD is pretty stupid now. They are outclassed by any Core 2 Duo now, and AMD will release the Phenom II in January and February which will hopefully outperform the Core 2s, so basically you're immediately outdated.

Anyway Fish, you can save yourself a lot of hassle by getting a P45 motherboard. It's a little bit more expensive, but not that much more (or are the prices in the UK that bad?).

Going AMD is pretty stupid now. They are outclassed by any Core 2 Duo now, and AMD will release the Phenom II in January and February which will hopefully outperform the Core 2s, so basically you're immediately outdated.

Anyway Fish, you can save yourself a lot of hassle by getting a P45 motherboard. It's a little bit more expensive, but not that much more (or are the prices in the UK that bad?).

Except a Phenom II will drop right into any mobo with socket AM2

Trust me the prices are that bad. In terms of ebuyer just catalogue a few mobos and watch them until the price drops to something your willing to pay. Although the majority of my catalogued items have only gone one way in price and that's up.

Yeah, that's true, but it doesn't make any sense to go out spending a hundred pounds on a Phenom quad core, which'll be very outdated in a month :heh:

Anyway, how's this board? It seems pretty awesome, and it's only 17 pounds more expensive than the cheapest Gigabyte P35.

Could always stick a BE 2300 in there and then hope the Phenom II is more powerful than Core2...

...Oh wait, that's the mistake i made 15 months ago :(

Got high hopes for Phenom II though, mainly because it's my cheapest upgrade route :p I NEED something good by the time Empire: TW comes out!

Got high hopes for Phenom II though, mainly because it's my cheapest upgrade route :p I NEED something good by the time Empire: TW comes out!

That was, in part, behind my decision to buy a decent desktop now. That and the fact I've recently gotten back into M2TW, in which I can only play campaign and can't fight the battles myself...

Could always stick a BE 2300 in there and then hope the Phenom II is more powerful than Core2...

...Oh wait, that's the mistake i made 15 months ago :(

OUCH! Are you really still sticking with a BE 2300?

Well hopefully come January we'll all be able to see the results of Deneb.

Well probably not a sale as such but they to have a lot of price cuts and offers like most businesses do, so I would say its fair to wait until after Christmas, nothing to lose really.

Aye, if I were to order tomorrow I wouldn't get it before Christmas unless I paid through the nose for shipping. Apparently, eBuyer have a Christmas day sale. Slightly sad way to spend Christmas Day, but there's that gap between lunch finishing at about half 3 and the good TV starting at 7...

OUCH! Are you really still sticking with a BE 2300?

Well hopefully come January we'll all be able to see the results of Deneb.

Budget restraints, i decided to cheap out on the CPU and spend more on the bits that last (mainly case and PSU, i'm unlikely to upgrade these for a long, long time). Still, it's pretty good for £40. It'll run at just over 3GHz (up from 1.9Ghz) on air :)

Budget restraints, i decided to cheap out on the CPU and spend more on the bits that last (mainly case and PSU, i'm unlikely to upgrade these for a long, long time). Still, it's pretty good for £40. It'll run at just over 3GHz (up from 1.9Ghz) on air :)

For AMD that is quite the overclock. You should be proud.