NEurope
Kirkatronics

Technology In Ten Years Time

In the past 10 yeras technology has rocketed forwards, faster tha anyone ever would have thought.

Technology has got smaller, more powerful, more resiliant, and more useful.

What advances would you like to see, or think may happen within the next ten years?

Memory will certainly be cheaper, so that means huge amounts of disk space for us to use.

Internet speeds will most likely get quicker, and thus streaming become the norm for most online.(Its already possible, and now in HD.)

What else is there?

Digital Distribution will (sadly :() have taken off like a weed on miracle grow. Large populations will have excellent internet speeds, while rural areas will still het the short end of the stick and have to go with slower and restricted Satellite internet.

The common people will begin learning about the next big step in there HDTVs a resolution higher than True HD(Oh how I hate hearing True or Full HD....) it's called 2560x1600....or a PC monitor of at least 30". PC gamers will have moved onto yet even higher resolutions will continuing to strive to make that unoptimised PoS known as crysis run at full settings higher than 30 fps.

Digital Distribution will (sadly :() have taken off like a weed on miracle grow. Large populations will have excellent internet speeds, while rural areas will still het the short end of the stick and have to go with slower and restricted Satellite internet.

The common people will begin learning about the next big step in there HDTVs a resolution higher than True HD(Oh how I hate hearing True or Full HD....) it's called 2560x1600....or a PC monitor of at least 30". PC gamers will have moved onto yet even higher resolutions will continuing to strive to make that unoptimised PoS known as crysis run at full settings higher than 30 fps.

Dont our eyes only work at 25-27 frames per second anyway?

Internet may all be wireless within the next ten years, so anywhere would be able to recieve it at reasonable speeds.

Will we ever get a saturation of pixels?

Our eyes generally work slower, can't really say as everyone is different, but I've noticed in some games no difference between 20-60fps. While in others there is a considerable difference in play speed, similar to the Old PAL NTSC issues of the SNES/Genesis days.

Pixel saturation is unlikely due to increasing technology. Currently 2560x1600 is only on large monitors, once upon a time 1680x1050 was 22" and up, now with a bit of hard looking you can get 19" and possibly 17" at that resolution. It's something to do with the Dot Pitch, I think that's the space inbetween pixels, as tech progresses they're able to achieve smaller Dot Pitches.

Or I'm talking out of my ass.

Internet may all be wireless within the next ten years, so anywhere would be able to recieve it at reasonable speeds.

Will we ever get a saturation of pixels?

By wireless you mean what exactly? Data card? Home internet with wireless router?

With the first, it isn't all the same. It greatly depends on where you live, and how close you are to a mast for it. Go to anyone that provides a data card service and you will find a "check your coverage" page.

And the second is the same too, depends how far you are from your exchange, and whether it has dedicated support for your ISP or not. Also a lot of houses still have overhead phone cabling, which means their internet can only ever be between 3 and 3.5mb (I think that's the ballpark figure)

When speeds go higher in major cities, files will get higher in size (as we see with HD youtube) websites get mahoosive in size.

Us poor bastards in small country towns (I think Moogle has suffered this a lot too) will be stuck with comparatively slow internet, with files and website getting bigger and bigger.

Do your research before you make silly comments, mkay? ;)

True. I've only recently had broadband. This summer I think. And even now it's speed is only about 600k. Most people get 4 times that at least. And we had to have business broadband as normal wasn't fast enough. But it's vastly better than it was before.

I too only just got broadband this summer/fall. Before that it was dial-up, dial-up that's slower than other dial-up....

I have friend that's getting 100Mb internet... That's insane, I don't think we need faster than that.

As for future technology, I'm not gonna talk about the obvious stuff like higher res and faster processor and internet etc. So:

• Centralised CPU/GPU (yay!)
  • Cheap batteries which charge really fast (Toshiba already has one that charges up in 10 mins) and have a LOT more autonomy
  • Transparent transistors so HUDs will be a common thing in cars, windows and anything that they think
  • Paper transistors, making them really cheap and recyclable, everything will have a chip.
  • Hopefully the end of cables, everything should have wireless connection.
  • And maybe, wireless electricity. Without giving us sentient tumours

Isn't there this concept that Internet is gonna work on....whatever that system is, a la mobile phone, where we'll be able to get it everywhere and anywhere and really fast. I know it exists now but I've no idea what the hell it's called - mobile broadband? I can see that replacing wifi quite easily.

Isn't there this concept that Internet is gonna work on....whatever that system is, a la mobile phone, where we'll be able to get it everywhere and anywhere and really fast. I know it exists now but I've no idea what the hell it's called - mobile broadband? I can see that replacing wifi quite easily.

It used to be known as a data card, that you could plug into a laptop. Now they are mostly usb based. Mobile web I think its generally called now.

This is my data card

mobileweb.jpg

Use it anytime anywhere. Speeds aren't fantastic in this country (talking a tad faster than dial up) but are really good over in the mainland cities and the like ^^;

Oh yeah awesome goldfish skin for my dongle:awesome:

ninja edit: my dongle is a bit bigger than most ones available now. They are flash drive sized these days. Carphonewarehouse is doing seemingly good deals - get a free (albeit not awesome) laptop when you take out a contract for one of the internet dongles with 3.

My contract is £15 a month for 3GB download limit ^^;

And they're starting to put it built in with laptops.

Really? just pop a sim card in or something? Jeez that almost sounds scary!

Next thing we'll have sim cards inserted in our head, and headsets soldered onto our ear! :heh:

By wireless you mean what exactly? Data card? Home internet with wireless router?

With the first, it isn't all the same. It greatly depends on where you live, and how close you are to a mast for it. Go to anyone that provides a data card service and you will find a "check your coverage" page.

And the second is the same too, depends how far you are from your exchange, and whether it has dedicated support for your ISP or not. Also a lot of houses still have overhead phone cabling, which means their internet can only ever be between 3 and 3.5mb (I think that's the ballpark figure)

When speeds go higher in major cities, files will get higher in size (as we see with HD youtube) websites get mahoosive in size.

Us poor bastards in small country towns (I think Moogle has suffered this a lot too) will be stuck with comparatively slow internet, with files and website getting bigger and bigger.

Do your research before you make silly comments, mkay? ;)

They aren't silly comments, "mobile broadband" probably will be the future in the UK. Our telecomms networks are old and in desperate need of upgrading, BT are doing it but it's a very slow and expensive process. The mobile networks on the other hand are rolling out mobile data at an alarming rate, every year coverage gets higher, speeds get faster and download limits are raised. Three and T-Mobile have already started to attack the home market, their websites now stock wireless routers that can take a sim card!

Most of the country can now get mobile broadband on Vodafone, T-Mobile or Three. Orange aren't far behind now either. The next obstacle the operators are concentrating on is building penetration, walls do too good a job of decreasing reception at the moment. The networks are looking to get 100% coverage in all towns and cities in the UK and along all major road and rail networks. This leaves something like 0.2% of the population uncovered, but that population is so spread out it's not financially viable to cover them. Even BT are dragging their heels on that one...

Really? just pop a sim card in or something? Jeez that almost sounds scary!

Next thing we'll have sim cards inserted in our head, and headsets soldered onto our ear!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/review/2008/11/02/Dell-Inspiron-Mini-9-Netbook-on-Vodafone/p1

I'm struggling to resist buying it! Voda's coverage is great around here, the town centre is full 7.2Mbps (or at least the Vodafone shop is...)

Frame rates are always averages though, that's why there's always so much fuss about getting games to run at high rates.

Goodness no, I can easily tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, and even then, I can tell you if a CRT monitor is running at 60hz, 75hz or more

I figure persistence of vision truly cuts in at about 80fps or so, but that's only to say when you're blanking between each frame (such as in the case of a CRT refresh) whereas film runs at 24fps, but it's not so bad because the frames are persistent, so it doesn't look flickery

To contribute, I'm hoping I can get some really awesome fembot to do all my stuff for me AND suck my dick

I'm really interested in where CPU technology will go after quad core.

Will it be 8 cores and beyond or will they find a way to increase CPU speeds above say 4ghz ?

well, first programs really need to start utilizing quad-cores. After that however is most likely going to be threading. Intels new Core i7 has hyperthreading which even though it's only a quadcore it's recognized as 8 cores all going at a very highspeed.

there isn't much that uses it yet htough.

Goodness no, I can easily tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, and even then, I can tell you if a CRT monitor is running at 60hz, 75hz or more

I figure persistence of vision truly cuts in at about 80fps or so, but that's only to say when you're blanking between each frame (such as in the case of a CRT refresh) whereas film runs at 24fps, but it's not so bad because the frames are persistent, so it doesn't look flickery

To contribute, I'm hoping I can get some really awesome fembot to do all my stuff for me AND suck my dick

Actually I think there's no proven limit to how many fps our eyes can perceive :P Movies look good indeed because the image is all drawn at once, while in TVs it's drawn line by line. A 60 hz TV displaying in 480i displays 30 fps for example.

Anyway, tech in 10 years!

1195865569184.jpg

One things for sure, ten years from now silicon will be all but a memory.

And then maybe we can break the 4ghz home processor barrier (like Intel did with the Pentium 4 back in the day) again... As for faster internet? It'll most likely be WiMax (basically 4G). 75mpbs internet over a wireless dongle anyone?

In ten years time I'm guessing BT will have replaced their copper to the cabinet with fibre in all cities and big towns, and in all new builds the connections will be 100% fibre. 4G wireless technologies will be used a lot out in the country and by people who want to be able to work on their laptop or smartphone outside their house but don't want a bill from their wireless provider and from BT.

Virgin Media will announce it's not going continue building its own network and will instead become an LLU provider over BT lines, massively increasing it's potential customers

Sky will have mostly stopped using satellites for its TV service and will have moved most of its customers over to its IPTV service with every channel being available in HD. Actually pretty much every TV company will have moved to IPTV and everyone will have all major networks' programs on demand to their TV.

Every child in school will have their own laptop and all work will be done on computers with work being emailed back and forward between teachers and pupils.

Apple and Microsoft will have switched places in terms of how they are thought of by people. Apple will be seen as the big bad company and Microsoft will be seen as the cool company. Steve Jobs will be long gone from Apple and everyone will hate Phil Schiller because he has neither the charisma or the cool factor that Jobs had, and people will begin to like Steve Ballmer because he's just a pretty crazy guy... and he'll have had a makeover.

People will be fighting for freedom on the Internet after most countries start filtering web access. There will be numerous scandals over the filtering in some western countries which sparks outrage among the people because the Government blocks something they shouldn't have, like another party's website or information about illegal activites the current Government are taking part in.

Those are the ones I'm reasonably confident on. Some look good, some look pretty bad. I won't even try to guess on other areas like user interfaces or mobile devices because there's just so many different ways they could go :awesome:

EDIT: Oh and people wil have given up on DAB and DAB+ radios and just go to Internet Radios. This will have the advantage of being cheaper for radio stations as they won't have to run transmission towers. it will also be better for listeners as there won't be the capacity limits of current radio technologies so there will be thousands of stations available from all around the world and the sound quality will be superb.

EDIT: Also, all telecom will have moved over to IP, so all phone calls etc will be done over IP. We wont necessarily use our computers for calls, probably still use landline handsets, but everything will be VoIP. Some people will also start using a lot more video conferencing but it won't really take off hugely because people don't want to take calls if people can see them when they're looking rough or on the loo.

EDIT: Or perhaps friendly aliens will make contact with humans and, like in Star Trek, it will bring about world peace ^.^ . I'm hoping for that one.

One things for sure, ten years from now silicon will be all but a memory.

And then maybe we can break the 4ghz home processor barrier (like Intel did with the Pentium 4 back in the day) again... As for faster internet? It'll most likely be WiMax (basically 4G). 75mpbs internet over a wireless dongle anyone?

iirc CPU fabs are already approaching being to small for silicon. I think 2 more die shrinks are possible.

As for 4ghz, there is no need. Going that high causes power/heat efficiency to go to pot. That's what Intel found out, I did a paper on this Intel themselves said that higher clock speeds are not the direction to head, more cores and more threads are the way to go.

Dual-cores are already on their way out, Intel has released Core i7, which I think is only quads, all with hyperthreading allowing for 2 threads per-core, essentially acting like 8 cores. AMD is working on Phenom II, which will be sets of Tri, Quad, and Sext(I think....it's a 6 core cpu)-cores. They are now introducing Phenom Dual-cores which are really just Phenom quads with two redundant cores, this is possibly to help curb losses.

Most users only need 2.5-3Ghz per core, Core i7 low-end is 2.66 I think and goes up to 2.99 or 3.2 for high end. Phenom IIs will start at 3 and 3.2 iirc. Enthusiasts that want to can and will OC to 4Ghz and beyond though. Apparently Phenom II can goto 4Ghz on air cooling(AMD numbers....) Core i7 can but has high temps.

In ten years time I'm guessing BT will have replaced their copper to the cabinet with fibre in all cities and big towns, and in all new builds the connections will be 100% fibre. 4G wireless technologies will be used a lot out in the country and by people who want to be able to work on their laptop or smartphone outside their house but don't want a bill from their wireless provider and from BT.

Virgin Media will announce it's not going continue building its own network and will instead become an LLU provider over BT lines, massively increasing it's potential customers

Sky will have mostly stopped using satellites for its TV service and will have moved most of its customers over to its IPTV service with every channel being available in HD. Actually pretty much every TV company will have moved to IPTV and everyone will have all major networks' programs on demand to their TV.

Every child in school will have their own laptop and all work will be done on computers with work being emailed back and forward between teachers and pupils.

Apple and Microsoft will have switched places in terms of how they are thought of by people. Apple will be seen as the big bad company and Microsoft will be seen as the cool company. Steve Jobs will be long gone from Apple and everyone will hate Phil Schiller because he has neither the charisma or the cool factor that Jobs had, and people will begin to like Steve Ballmer because he's just a pretty crazy guy... and he'll have had a makeover.

People will be fighting for freedom on the Internet after most countries start filtering web access. There will be numerous scandals over the filtering in some western countries which sparks outrage among the people because the Government blocks something they shouldn't have, like another party's website or information about illegal activites the current Government are taking part in.

Those are the ones I'm reasonably confident on. Some look good, some look pretty bad. I won't even try to guess on other areas like user interfaces or mobile devices because there's just so many different ways they could go :awesome:

EDIT: Oh and people wil have given up on DAB and DAB+ radios and just go to Internet Radios. This will have the advantage of being cheaper for radio stations as they won't have to run transmission towers. it will also be better for listeners as there won't be the capacity limits of current radio technologies so there will be thousands of stations available from all around the world and the sound quality will be superb.

EDIT: Also, all telecom will have moved over to IP, so all phone calls etc will be done over IP. We wont necessarily use our computers for calls, probably still use landline handsets, but everything will be VoIP. Some people will also start using a lot more video conferencing but it won't really take off hugely because people don't want to take calls if people can see them when they're looking rough or on the loo.

EDIT: Or perhaps friendly aliens will make contact with humans and, like in Star Trek, it will bring about world peace ^.^ . I'm hoping for that one.

A lot stuff in 10 years looks like the present.

The CPU stuff is ridiculous, we don't need anything more than Dual Core.