NEurope
Edjamakated

The New World

I've been stirring this idea around in my head for sometime and as time goes by, it becomes more and more true.

Whenever you have a problem, where do you turn? It's almost always to someone or something wiser than yourself; a book, a friend, or a parent. Now that the internet is expanding and becoming more and more apart of our daily lives; how are you solving your daily problems? If you don't know the answer to a question, where do you turn? Where else but the internet?

Today is becoming more about how to find information than actually knowing the information. It's astonishing how easily and quickly we can become instant experts about very complex ideas. If I don't know something, you can be sure I can find out. That's what this new age is about. And this is just through text. Web 2.0 brought more complexity to the internet, but what about Web 3.0? Could they put an end to books and texts as we know it?

Now some historians have called this generation the "dumbest" but why? Because we don't know who the 24th President is? Or we don't know where a certain country is? Give me two seconds and I can find out for you. Do you see what is happening here? Do you see what will happen here?

Can you explain why when one man has discovered something, that ten people like him around the world also discover it immediately afterward? Is there already a collective consciousness?

But I digress. It seems like tech companies are racing towards one ultimate goal: communication; the faster, the easier, the better (but of course, under their system only). The race is becoming more and more competitive; with technologies becoming smaller and more precise. Everyone is wanting to be the "next"; the next iPod, the next Razor, the next iPhone. It's been 7 years since the iPod was released and now look at the technology we have access to. Can you imagine what we can't live without 7 years from now?

NOTE: I saw today a commercial for a new phone that allows webcam like chat over your cellphone. This has been in Japan for quite sometime, but it's astonishing how quickly our technology is moving. Soon enough it'll be the staple, I'm sure.

Companies who plan to become rich shouldn't be thinking about the next iPod or the next iPhone. No, no, they should be thinking about the next infrastructure, the next base for technology to climb to. Do you really think in 10 years that our cellphones and TV screens will be anything like they are today? There are already screens out now that can literally fold and wrap around itself and nanotechnologies and chemical sciences that have literally shrank the size of a computer chip to a speck of dust. Technology is coming. It's coming fast; really fast. And in the end, you will have two personas: yourself and your digital self. Both of whom are just as important and literally feed off each other in a symbiotic type of relationship.

Can you picture the technology of the future? Can you picture your lives in the future?

For instance, I have a lot of ideas of what will literally shatter the perceptions and the foundations of how we learn (especially in classes and universities around the world) that I am keeping tight lipped about; but I'd like to say one thing: interactivity is the key. There is nothing more engaging and more interesting than interaction. The act of change or the ability to change: it is why we do everything. Think about it.

Now, I don't know why I am writing this; perhaps because I plan to make my fortune with technology or maybe the intangible feeling of catching and writing down your thoughts; but what I do know is that science will rule the world. Hell, ever since we dropped the bomb it already has. Still, someday, when our collective thought can finally be tapped into and our goals and aspirations for our world can finally utilize the entire worlds energy, where we focus on problems with all our might; it is science that will prevail. The natural laws of this world will tumble and make way for a transition that literally scares the living hell out of me. It is then that we will find out what humans really are: innately good or innately evil.

My Nokia did that in 2005. Haven't seen much video calling going on in Japan, don't see the point really.

Well, the thing about video conferencing with your phone is that you need both phones to be capable of such a feature.

And you don't see the point? Really? Don't be naive. I guarantee you everyone and their mothers (especially their mothers) would use it. Hell, everyone already uses media messaging if they can.

Communication is a huge aspect of human life. Mobile video conferencing is really a no brainer.

That was a nice read, and an interesting subject. I've thought about it myself many times. It's astounding just how fast technology moves and we adjust automatically. It doesn't seem as if there is anything that could come about that would truly transform our world, but that's because we've yet to experience it, I suppose.

My Nokia did that in 2005. Haven't seen much video calling going on in Japan, don't see the point really.

Agreed. It'll just be simple calls and text messages for a while. Video Calls and Multimedia Messaging (or whatever it's called) have both been around for a while and virtually nobody uses either (based on people I know, anyway).

I think you're focusing on the video call aspect of the post too much, guys.

That was a nice read, and an interesting subject. I've thought about it myself many times. It's astounding just how fast technology moves and we adjust automatically. It doesn't seem as if there is anything that could come about that would truly transform our world, but that's because we've yet to experience it, I suppose.

That's exactly what I was trying to get across. As technology converges upon itself over and over again, producing more and more precise technologies, we will undoubtedly adapt those technologies to our lives without ever thinking twice about it. It's the nature of man to have complicated things simplified. But in doing so, we may lose something about ourselves......or not. There is no way to know for sure.

well, it was an ok read, though the collective conciousness aspect, im fairly sure i can explain.

see, our knowlage is based on the knowlage of outhers, a new physicist learns older theories, rather then reinvets them. for this reason, all invention has a similar base, what has preceded it. techknowlogy seems to move in leaps and bounds, but in truth, its really just simple steps. couple this with a almost universal need for certain inventions, for example, eco friendly power. many scientists are working from the same base to meet the same goals, its no wounder so many arrive at the same conclusion at similar times.

perhaps we should view our new data storage medium, the internet, as this collective concious. as you say, we dont need to know as much as we can find out quickly. also, the same people who claim our generation are dumber are the first to call for help when they cant work the television.

my last point is where the future will take us. i think it is best summed up by chariots of fire as "there will come a point when techkology is indestinguisable from magic". with advances in universal constructors, this may well be right.

We've had video calling since 3 first appeared on the scene (they started as a company who was trying to say that video calling would become the norm, they eventually gave up and just became a regular service provider). The problem is not that many people feel comfortable, or there's an issue of cross compatibility (you have to be calling someone else who also has video mobile).

Whilst this may not be the focus of your post, it shows why some things take off and others don't. Video calls just simply didn't help make things easier, and they didn't look particularly cool or feel particularly comfortable either, I think new technology has to do one of these two things - boost convenience and/or style - in order to become mainstream.

I'm always amazed how much technology has moved on over the last 200, and even 10-20 years, but it never feels like the future because we don't have hovercars or FTL travel or ray guns. Imagine going back pre-phone and showing people our tiny mobiles that talk with people around the world, it would look like magic, the devil's work. And now we have huge flat televisions, cars powered by the sun and wireless connections from anywhere to a network of information that runs throughout the whole world.

By the way, slightly off topic, the thread title made me think of 新世界 - japanese phrase that I always hear on "One Piece", it means shin seikai, "the new world" - in that it means something else though :p

Mr.Edjamakated, you sure do make exceedingly good posts.

As for the subject at hand, isn't technology growing/advancing and an exponential rate or something? Improvements in technology lead to improvements in technology, it's all built upon itself!

I do find the information point quite interesting though, the idea that information is so readily available that when we don't know something we can look it up in about 10 minutes or so, an absolute fraction of what it would have taken say, 10-15 years ago? I find myself whiling away my time and days reading Wikipedia(let's leave reliability out of this shall we...unless the issue of fake or mistaken information is going to be brought up as a whole subject) and finding out about stuff I never would have normally. Is it just me though?

In the future, will we become more lazy, to the extent that we NEVER read about things, and ONLY find out information about something once we deem it neccessary to know? When you read a book for a specific piece of information, you tend to find out other things surrounding it(and arguably that DOES happen with wikipedia due to all the links :p) but in the future will it become quite tailored and specific to our requests on the internet, that we JUST find the answer to our question, and nothing else? Will that in turn mean that we're learning less?

I cannot picture the future btw, where technology will go, I tend not to think of things like that but rather just let them happen and go with the flow of it all.

My dad keeps going on about the next big thing invention wise. He only wants it so that his technology shares will go up though :P

The last big one was the mobile phone i would say but the nature of it is that we have no idea what the next one will be, it has to be something entirely new and unpredicted for it to be the next big thing

The mobile phone was something upper class and niche for businessmen that suddenly hit the mainstream, the next big thing will be the same. Whilst technology advances rapidly, gadgets and whatnot tend to be subtle shifts. If I'm not mistaken, technology is the fastest depreciating thing ever too due to the advancement of it all, things start off extremely pricey when first made so only the rich can afford, then slowly fall in price and become more available to the common man. Look at what's niche and expensive now, it'll become the 'next big thing'.

Random note, I want Roomba's to become the 'next big(but cheap!) thing'. I tend not to get most technology until it's well outdated and dirrrrrrt cheap.

as far as i know, the next big thing is going to be truly personal and portable computers.

basicly, what ive seen are like glasses, that act like a computer moniter. gps could guide you down the street, weather forcasts could warn you what to wear, information from shops could alert you to items on your shopping list in stock, or item from home that need replenishing (e.g, buy more milk), even just alert you of sales.

this was possible 5 years ago, battery, cpu size and price were the only things holding it back. expect it in the next 5 years.

outher then that, my money is on nano food, food altered by nano macines. imagine eating pie and chips, yet reciving the same nutritional intake as a grilled chicken sandwitch. imagine a trip to the pub after work, your a little tierd, so your pint contains an energy boost. you drink 5 pints, exerience the same lowered inhibitions, same buzz and general social facilitation, but you dont lose co ordination, your reactions are still just as fast. your perfectly safe to drive home.

both of these are possible, and provided support is given by the public, should become commonplace.

outher then that, my money is on nano food, food altered by nano macines. imagine eating pie and chips, yet reciving the same nutritional intake as a grilled chicken sandwitch. imagine a trip to the pub after work, your a little tierd, so your pint contains an energy boost. you drink 5 pints, exerience the same lowered inhibitions, same buzz and general social facilitation, but you dont lose co ordination, your reactions are still just as fast. your perfectly safe to drive home.

both of these are possible, and provided support is given by the public, should become commonplace.

There's your problem :heh: genetic modification didn't sit very well, do you really think tiny robots will?

There's your problem :heh: genetic modification didn't sit very well, do you really think tiny robots will?

perhaps, if people are willing to advance rather then fear the unknown.

nano tech is already used in some medicine, its my view that we should embrace advance

I've watched enough Stargate to know little machines inside your body are no good. They will end up controlling you... like Doc Oc!

Seriously though i think it would be bloody great, if not quite freaky.

I've watched enough Stargate to know little machines inside your body are no good. They will end up controlling you... like Doc Oc!

Seriously though i think it would be bloody great, if not quite freaky.

I'm fairly sure that the nanomachines would be programmed to alter the food and then bugger off out of the food so they can be re-used.

People have had video calling for ages. My phone has video calling. I've used the feature literally once and I was sat next to the other person.

It's just not that useful to have low quality, bad frame rate video of someone at the other end coupled with scratchy audio. May as well just have decent quality audio, get your point over with, and put the phone down.

I haven't used my webcam for ages. Fuck, I don't even have it plugged in

In regards to the future there's only one thing you can be sure of: whatever new form of communication technology is around the corner, it will play host to a crudely drawn penis within an hour of going public.

Mr.Edjamakated, you sure do make exceedingly good posts.

As for the subject at hand, isn't technology growing/advancing and an exponential rate or something? Improvements in technology lead to improvements in technology, it's all built upon itself!

I do find the information point quite interesting though, the idea that information is so readily available that when we don't know something we can look it up in about 10 minutes or so, an absolute fraction of what it would have taken say, 10-15 years ago? I find myself whiling away my time and days reading Wikipedia(let's leave reliability out of this shall we...unless the issue of fake or mistaken information is going to be brought up as a whole subject) and finding out about stuff I never would have normally. Is it just me though?

In the future, will we become more lazy, to the extent that we NEVER read about things, and ONLY find out information about something once we deem it neccessary to know? When you read a book for a specific piece of information, you tend to find out other things surrounding it(and arguably that DOES happen with wikipedia due to all the links :p) but in the future will it become quite tailored and specific to our requests on the internet, that we JUST find the answer to our question, and nothing else? Will that in turn mean that we're learning less?

I cannot picture the future btw, where technology will go, I tend not to think of things like that but rather just let them happen and go with the flow of it all.

I really do believe that in the future we will have a base understanding taught to use, but only to allow us to make sense of the then, far more valuable information source; the internet. It is impossible for us to learn less, but maybe we will forget or won't learn what we deem as unnecessary.

as far as i know, the next big thing is going to be truly personal and portable computers.

basicly, what ive seen are like glasses, that act like a computer moniter. gps could guide you down the street, weather forcasts could warn you what to wear, information from shops could alert you to items on your shopping list in stock, or item from home that need replenishing (e.g, buy more milk), even just alert you of sales.

this was possible 5 years ago, battery, cpu size and price were the only things holding it back. expect it in the next 5 years.

That's interesting. In all my fascination with nanotechnology, I've yet to here of it's ability to change the chemical aspects of our food. Could you provide a link?

As for your prediction about the truly personal and portable computer, I wholly agree with you. I really think that we might carry around nothing about a DS sized contraption that handles everything. I won't go into much detail, but the only constraints (as you mentioned early) is energy, and processing energy.

We've had video calling since 3 first appeared on the scene (they started as a company who was trying to say that video calling would become the norm, they eventually gave up and just became a regular service provider). The problem is not that many people feel comfortable, or there's an issue of cross compatibility (you have to be calling someone else who also has video mobile).

Whilst this may not be the focus of your post, it shows why some things take off and others don't. Video calls just simply didn't help make things easier, and they didn't look particularly cool or feel particularly comfortable either, I think new technology has to do one of these two things - boost convenience and/or style - in order to become mainstream.

I'm always amazed how much technology has moved on over the last 200, and even 10-20 years, but it never feels like the future because we don't have hovercars or FTL travel or ray guns. Imagine going back pre-phone and showing people our tiny mobiles that talk with people around the world, it would look like magic, the devil's work. And now we have huge flat televisions, cars powered by the sun and wireless connections from anywhere to a network of information that runs throughout the whole world.

By the way, slightly off topic, the thread title made me think of 新世界 - japanese phrase that I always hear on "One Piece", it means shin seikai, "the new world" - in that it means something else though :p

The video calling was an example, but I give you my word you will be using it later in your life. Why? Well first off, you listed a reason why it has failed: compatibility issues. That was then, this is now. Smartphones are dominating the market now, when they use to seem overly ambitious. With them come the foundation for a network that can support video. Give it two, maybe three years tops; we're just about there.

NOTE: This really is starting to sound like those who denied the relevancy of the motion picture. Why use moving pictures when the radio is far more reliable?

well, it was an ok read, though the collective conciousness aspect, im fairly sure i can explain.

see, our knowlage is based on the knowlage of outhers, a new physicist learns older theories, rather then reinvets them. for this reason, all invention has a similar base, what has preceded it. techknowlogy seems to move in leaps and bounds, but in truth, its really just simple steps. couple this with a almost universal need for certain inventions, for example, eco friendly power. many scientists are working from the same base to meet the same goals, its no wounder so many arrive at the same conclusion at similar times.

perhaps we should view our new data storage medium, the internet, as this collective concious. as you say, we dont need to know as much as we can find out quickly. also, the same people who claim our generation are dumber are the first to call for help when they cant work the television.

my last point is where the future will take us. i think it is best summed up by chariots of fire as "there will come a point when techkology is indestinguisable from magic". with advances in universal constructors, this may well be right.

That's very true, but I was more eluding to your second point. How our new data storage medium, the internet, could become our collective consciousness. All we need is a truly large and viable means of transferring ideas and data from one another to stop the phenomenon of scientists arriving at the same goals in tandem, but instead use the back and forth nature of communication to arrive at the goal together (and ultimately much, much faster).

i havnt got a link to the nano food, i'd find it, but my comp is screwed so im posting from my ps3 and wii. id surgest that you look fot it online, i origionaly read about it well over a year ago in focus, the bbc science magazine.

i doubt we could ever truly have a back and forth between all scientists as they work for seperate companies, and are rivals.

Not true. The LHC has already proven that scientists and companies around the world are willing to work together in order to further our knowledge.

Not true. The LHC has already proven that scientists and companies around the world are willing to work together in order to further our knowledge.

yes, but when money is at steak, things change. just look at car companies competing for alternative fule.