NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Secret at Monster Games!

http://www.cubed3.com/news/11193

Monster Games, of Excite Truck fame, have been working on a top-secret Nintendo game for the last two years.

The Minnesota-based Monster Games produced Excite Truck for the Wii back in 2006, and according to a blog post on one of the game designers at Monster, the team are working on a highly-confidential game for Nintendo.

Right now, the 20 employees at Monster Games are working on a top-secret video game for Nintendo. They've worked on it for two years and are nearly finished. The process is so private the designers must darken their monitors when the bottled-water deliveryman enters the office.

With a lot keeping the project under wraps, it's likely to be a well-known Nintendo franchise. Their experience in producing racing titles and handling the Wii exceptionally well in Excite Truck suggests F-Zero, or a sequel to Excite Truck perhaps.

Like they say, smart money's on a racing game I guess, but what?... Excitetruck 2, Excitebike, 1080, Waverace, F-Zero...?

..I would take any (or all :heh:) from that list! I love all those games.. don't disappoint me, Monster :heh:

How about a completely new, realistic racer aimed at those gamers who would like one on the system. Could explain all the secrecy over it.

How about a completely new, realistic racer aimed at those gamers who would like one on the system. Could explain all the secrecy over it.
Personally not a fan of realistic racers unless they have arcadey elements, so would rather it was something else, but I don't deny the Wii could do with a Ridge Racer equivalent. It might be good for the console to get one, but would it sell particularly well given the current audience on Wii?

I'd say so. The number of people I've seen walk into Gamestation, see that Ferrari game on the Wii and buy it would certainly testify to it doing alright. I'd certainly like one. And I can see it may bring more people in with it if it is indeed a more realistic racer.

..I would take any (or all :heh:) from that list! I love all those games.. don't disappoint me, Monster :heh:

Yeah, I agree! Any of em would do- Excite Truck 2 would be immense. :hehe:

So its most likely a racer since Monster Games hasn't ever made anything else. But who knows? They're apparently working on this project for Nintendo so its most likely one of Nintendo's racing games or a new IP (possibly a realistic racer). But There's also a good chance its something more familiar because of the secrecy. F-Zero would be very likely I think because its about the point in the generation we would expect it. Why knows maybe its even Excite Truck 2 With online, or even Excite Bike Wii.

The process is so private the designers must darken their monitors when the bottled-water deliveryman enters the office.

LOL! I would really really like to believe this.

Perhaps they also talk about the weather until he leaves.

I'm almost sure this is a new F-Zero game. Let's hope to hear more about this project soon, if those rumors are to be believed the game is almost done...

^ personally, as much as I would love a new F Zero I'd want Sega to do it purely because of how well GX turned out. That's not to say that these guys would do a poor job of it. It's just why change a development team when you already had a winner.

I'm still sticking with a new realistic racer.

The window for a 1080 game has probably gone now because [like Shaun White] you'd expect it to capatalise on the Christmas [snowy] market.

ExciteTruck 2 would be good, as would Excitebike to put another franchise out there on Wii and it can draw from Excitetrucks level design.

Wasn't that keen on F-Zero GX, I prefered F-Zero X, though there's no denying Sega did on AWESOME job on its production.

A new racer would be great also!

I'd say so. The number of people I've seen walk into Gamestation, see that Ferrari game on the Wii and buy it would certainly testify to it doing alright.

You must have witnessed every sale of that one then, it's hardly set the charts on fire.

The window for a 1080 game has probably gone now because [like Shaun White] you'd expect it to capatalise on the Christmas [snowy] market.

ExciteTruck 2 would be good, as would Excitebike to put another franchise out there on Wii and it can draw from Excitetrucks level design.

Wasn't that keen on F-Zero GX, I prefered F-Zero X, though there's no denying Sega did on AWESOME job on its production.

A new racer would be great also!

Sega will have to round up the people that made F-Zero GX from different companies inside Sega that were from the old AV.

I agree that AV did an outstanding job with GX, but I'm not against a new entry in the series being developed elsewhere, or even internally by Nintendo again. I don't want F-Zero to stagnate, so having it made by different (though still high calibre) teams should in theory keep it fresh. Though admittedly, that sort of mentality hasn't worked wonders for StarFox has it. :hmm:

Like I said before, I wouldn't mind it at all if Monster are "churning" out a sequel to Excite Truck. There's still plenty of places they can take that series and flesh it out even more. As long as they manage to inject this new title with the same raw fun factor that we found in Excite Truck, then there's nothing to worry about! :yay:

Seriously Retro you could try a little harder this news was on the main page before you posted it and you link cubed3. It gets a little annoying.

Anyway, Excite Truck is amazing, so whatever it is, can't wait

Whatever it is, it's going to be big. People who go about not saying anything until 2 years into the project, and then say "It's a secret" aren't usually the type who go about releasing Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

I'm putting my money on an IP game. I'm going to guess F-Zero. Also, I heard that their new game was not a sequel to Excite Truck (Although I really would love to see Excite Truck with online).

Seriously Retro you could try a little harder this news was on the main page before you posted it and you link cubed3. It gets a little annoying.

Some people dont check the main site very often hence linking elsewhere. Besides, Dante posted this news a good 24 hours before the main site had it up, yet he doesnt get credited for it because like Retro Link you got the info elsewhere, such as Gaf.

As for Excite Truck 2 aslong as they add an online mode then I will be a happy chappy as for me it was the only thing that I could fault with the 1st game.

*drools at hectic N-E online races*

Some people dont check the main site very often

Do you want to stab our families while you're at it?

:weep:

ExciteTruck was an awesome game. Great controls, I thought it looked great visually (especially with the sense of speed) and it had that addictive factor.

Here is what I'd like to be included in a sequel. My fantastic five points:

1. More of a range of locations. They real hit the sweet spot with that final level (for those of you who have played it, you'll know what I mean. Now, how awesome would it be to have a bigger range of locations? I thought the tracks they had were sweet, and the length was spot on. So, I think it's just a case of varying the landscapes a bit more, to give an added challenge.

2. The points based method of progressing was an absolutely joy and gave an extra edge to this game. Maybe use the points you earn in the levels to unlock extras. If they really wanted to, they could steal some ideas from Brawl/Melee, and it would make this game even more addictive.

3. Online. Being able to play this with your mates was great, but I did think the multiplayer lacked something. It didn't really work as a splitscreen for some reason, and it kinda lagged slightly. The only difficult I could see was the fact that the pace of the game was frantic and the maps changed so rapidly, and this would probably affect the online. If they could find a way around this, then...wooo.

4. More multiplayer modes. Keep the race related element, but add in some fun extra modes, too. I want this to be a game you can enjoy with your mates.

5. I thought the aerial stunts were awesome, so why not expand on this? Give us more ways to grab points, and make it even more competitive.

So why didn't post it in the forum? No one chats about things on the main site.

I did however notice afterwards that Dante beat me to it in the Wii General Discussions thread, but I guess not everyone saw it in there because it's being talked about enough in this thread.

ExciteTruck was an awesome game. Great controls, I thought it looked great visually (especially with the sense of speed) and it had that addictive factor.

Here is what I'd like to be included in a sequel. My fantastic five points:

1. More of a range of locations. They real hit the sweet spot with that final level (for those of you who have played it, you'll know what I mean. Now, how awesome would it be to have a bigger range of locations? I thought the tracks they had were sweet, and the length was spot on. So, I think it's just a case of varying the landscapes a bit more, to give an added challenge.

2. The points based method of progressing was an absolutely joy and gave an extra edge to this game. Maybe use the points you earn in the levels to unlock extras. If they really wanted to, they could steal some ideas from Brawl/Melee, and it would make this game even more addictive.

3. Online. Being able to play this with your mates was great, but I did think the multiplayer lacked something. It didn't really work as a splitscreen for some reason, and it kinda lagged slightly. The only difficult I could see was the fact that the pace of the game was frantic and the maps changed so rapidly, and this would probably affect the online. If they could find a way around this, then...wooo.

4. More multiplayer modes. Keep the race related element, but add in some fun extra modes, too. I want this to be a game you can enjoy with your mates.

5. I thought the aerial stunts were awesome, so why not expand on this? Give us more ways to grab points, and make it even more competitive.

There's so much that's right with this post, it makes me feel all fuzzy inside. I ADORED the last level, it was absolute genius. Nothing more satifying than triggering a meteor to crash right on top of a rival racer :D

I agree about the tricks. I think time constraints may have stopped them from adding a bit more implementation into the game (optional MotionPlus would work well), same goes for multiplayer. I found it weird that you couldn't add any bots or anything, but as you say, it tended to feel laggy with just 2 racers.

I really hope someone gives a sequel a shot. I still feel like the game is one of the most underrated; not just on Wii, but perhaps in the whole generation. My copy still gets played from time to time :heh:

I only borrowed it briefly last year, I quite enjoyed it though. I'll have to pick it up at some point.

So why didn't post it in the forum? No one chats about things on the main site.

I did however notice afterwards that Dante beat me to it in the Wii General Discussions thread, but I guess not everyone saw it in there because it's being talked about enough in this thread.

Yeah, its cool to have made a thread for it. Maybe you should have sourced N-Europe but if you didn't see the article then you didn't see it. If you read something thats fairly big like this new secret title, then don't hesitate to make a new thread for it rather than bunging it straight in that general thread as I don't want it sucking up all the discussion! :)

Sign in to follow this