NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nicolasmasset

Plasma or LCD?

What's the difference? What I've noticed in the shops is that plasma seems a little bit softer for the eyes and way cheaper too!

Any tech-folks out there can give me the rundown on the technical differences and specs?

From the info i have gatherd:

Plasma: Better view angel, the colour black is deeper. Big Plasmas are cheaper than big LCD. But images burn quicker into the screen and the screen only stay optimal for 600.000Hours? not sure about the time.

LCD: Lasts longer. No screen burn.

I think i'm buying a HD LCD Next month :)

Screen burn is very rare in plasmas now, with any half decent models it just doesn't happen. The two traditional problems with the screens have been burn in with plasmas and response times with LCDs. Really they're pretty equal in their pros/cons, its all down to your own personal preference as to what you want to buy. Personally I like the picture of a plasma better, but they were just too expensive for me and I went down the LCD route.

The big advantage of a Plasma screen is the fact you don't see any large pixels when looking a bit to close to the screen. LCD does have that effect. plus Plasma's go way bigger sizes than an LCD.only con would be the power usage nowadays. Burn-in is a problem of the first screens. they fixed that problem allready. Also a new plasma screen has about 40.000 burn hours to go. after 25.000 you may start getting less brightness.

but 25.000 hours/ 12hours burn a day would add up to 2083 days at 365 days a year==>5.7 years before serious screen degreadation would occur

LCD has about 60.000 hours whic would go to about roughly 8 years before screen degradation.

Nowadays who has a tv screen fo that long? normal screens would be about 8 to 10 years.

Personally I like the picture of a plasma better' date=' but they were just too expensive for me and I went down the LCD route.[/quote']

Too expensive? A 106 cm plasma is already available for 1800€ over here! And it's huge! I don't want to think about the lcd price equivalent :red: Granted the plasma I'm talking about would probably be an entry level. But indeed, I hate that you see the pixels of an lcd so vividly, and the color does seem better on plasma. But I didn't notice a digital component (green blue purple) input on the plasma, hmm ...

People here are mixed up about the two. Both are good. LCD 32" or smaller and Plasma 42" and bigger.

Want to go big? Go plasma.

Want to go small? Go LCD.

Both are really good now as old flaws arent there.

All the plasmas I've ever seen looked pathetically bad, I'd take an LCD anyday. I also don't like the idea that some plasmas expire after 5000 hours which means only four years...

my brother has an LCD screen, I tested it, and couldn't notice any difference from different viewing angles, I even got close to the screen, 90 degrees I think I saw slight difference, but it was hard to tell. however, 480i/480p images on 720p disply = rubbish. so I won't be getting a HDTV for a while yet

Sign in to follow this