NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Daft

Crapping Internet

I'm on BT Broadband and the speed is fine, it's about 4Mb. I've done a couple speed tests. Everything is fine.

The download speed through torrents though is around 6kbits. Its driving me instane. It was working fine the other day. There are about 1000 peers. I have no idea what is going on.

Can anyone help?

Make sure the ports are open/forwarded through your router. If they are, and µtorrent thinks everything is rosy, then BT is probably packet shaping the utter crap out of torrents, try turning on encryption in µtorrent to start with

Make sure the ports are open/forwarded through your router. If they are, and µtorrent thinks everything is rosy, then BT is probably packet shaping the utter crap out of torrents, try turning on encryption in µtorrent to start with

I have BT and like Piro said I had to turn on my encryption, one thing to note about BT also is that between about 6pm and 11pm then throttle all net connections. Between those times I can't stream anything from youtube smoothly and my torrents all drop really low.

What is shit about BT is that at my parents house we have had it for about 10 years and it's been amazing, so I recommended it to my GF and another mate who both got it and for both of them its wank. The only difference between them and my parents house is that I swapped out the crap homehub for a proper ADSL wireless router. Not sure if that's really worth noting tho.

Your parents probably had it before they changed the terms and conditions to allow them to throttle the connection at peak times, if they change their package it will most likely go wank during those times.

Changing to a good router can make a small difference I believe if you're got a terrible one to start off with.

Sign in to follow this