NEurope
Dante

YouTube HD

YouTube Tests Out High Quality, Stereo Surround Videos

YouTube has quietly started testing out real HD quality videos on a smattering of its content, a development that is getting attention from viewers in message boards and blog forums this week. The new format could be a big move for YouTube, as the video size is over 80MB, which means that they are probably the same H.264 encoded mp4 files available in the iTunes store.

Getting premium quality video available on the site is integral for YouTube's success as the company struggles to turn a profit from its vast array of content available online.

The new formats have been available on a few videos for a few months now, and a small hack can upgrade any video taped at a high enough quality. YouTube confirms this is part of their efforts to test out different video formats.

The new format seems like real HD 720p video and looks clean and professional in the widescreen format. As we've noted in our Watch Higher Quality YouTube Videos wiki, it is possible to make YouTube's high quality video the default on the site, but formerly it was only possible to watch at a 480x360 resolution.

Formerly, viewers who wanted to watch 480x260 videos could do so by adding "&fmt=18" to the end of a YouTube video's url. To access the 720p format, the new appendage is "&fmt=22."

Japanese website Google Mania claims that there is also an option to download video as an MP4, which would be big news as YouTube users have long desired that option, but the download link does not seem to appear on any of the U.S. versions.

While these videos will result in slower loading and require powerful PCs for smooth playback, HD quality videos are a step in the right direction for YouTube. Now if they can just work on getting a larger inventory of high quality content people want to watch on there, their ad model will be in business.

If you'd like to see the difference for yourself.

THANK GOD

I can't stand the shitty quality videos on there, the better quality one looks amazing O.o

Yay for this :)

Yeah. It has better sound too. :)

I keep on having to change my first post quite alot.

Other people can get widescreen versions like on this site

I've been with "high quality" toggled on for ages. Didn't even noticed.

the high quality tab is the "&fmt=18" one, the HD 720p video is "&fmt=22" but i cant get to go into widescreen like this one.

ythd.jpg

You are right, being in "high quality" doesn't show us HD, which is a bit silly since we have no way to know if its HD or not, the window doesn't change to widescreen and there's nothing indicating it. The only way to distinguish one from the other is putting it in fullscreen.

good news youtube has now in widescreen

It's finally catching up to Google Video. It'll never be as good as Stage6 was, though.

Shiny.

Should come in handy during one lecture as our lecturer always uses youtube to illustrate stuff so now we should be able to see what its meant to be.

It's finally catching up to Google Video. It'll never be as good as Stage6 was, though.

Stage6 raped all, but exactly because of that, it wasn't economically viable. Thanks for trying though, DivX Networks

I just watched both those videos at the same (admittedly without sound) and could tell no difference at all.

THANK GOD

I can't stand the shitty quality videos on there, the better quality one looks amazing O.o

Yay for this :)

Surely the shitty quality is due do the original source, for example, mobile phone or something?

I just watched both those videos at the same time (admittedly without sound) and could tell no difference at all.

Gotta agree with this myself.

Go to the youtube link directly and put &fmt=22 in front of the URL. The difference is abysmal.

Wow, it looks great in HD!

I'm guessing the people who are seeing no difference must be watching the videos embedded in this page. You've got to clikc the links under the video to get the HD version.... I think.

Can't wait til this is the norm in internet video!

Wow, it looks great in HD!

I'm guessing the people who are seeing no difference must be watching the videos embedded in this page. You've got to clikc the links under the video to get the HD version.... I think.

Can't wait til this is the norm in internet video!

Oh I see, I'll do that then ^^