NEurope
Jackster

PS3 or Xbox for Christmas? Help!

Hey people, a while ago I told my parents I was after a PS3 for Christmas but recently I've had a rethink and now I think I might be better off with a 360. I told my mum last night and she just looked at me and said '....you can't change your mind! go speak to your dad' so I'm guessing some sorta purchase has already been made >.<

She told me just there this morning that if I want to change my mind I've got to phone her by lunch time today to let her know. So, what do you guys suggest?

I already have a broken Xbox 360, so I have quite a few 360 games. I also really love the movie rental feature of the 360, and I like the 360's release list for the next few months. Also, NXE looks really awesome! On the other hand the PS3 has the blu ray player and Playstation Home looks cool and my friend assures me the PS3 will be getting movie rental in the UK next year.

Anyone got any opinions? :(

Get a PS3, get your Xbox fixed.

This is the best course of action

If you already have a 360, why make your parents waste money when you can get it fixed for free

Did it go wrong recently? phone up M$ customer support, tell em it's RROD (Red Ring of Death) and get it fixed fro free, then you can still get your PS3 for Christmas (assuming they have got you one and enjoy the best of both worlds. : peace:

Free, wifi is such a turn on though. And I have yet to experience the Dual Shock 3. Little Big Planet and MGS4 look orgasmic too.

dont get a ps3 fix the 360 :)

Just think about the mass amount of games you can get if you do this.

to follow on from my first post - if you just get the 360 fixed you can get your folks to buy you a ton of games instead.

The ps3 for the money just doesnt have all that many good games on it at the mo its worth waiting really.

Get the PS3 if that is what you really feel like. Sometimes a fresh start is what you need.

Your media experience will be much nicer all round. From open media streaming to using the web browser with updated flash to Blu Ray to upscaling DVD. Bonuses for PSP users with streaming and remote play. There is nothing on the market like it.

Another bonus is the abundance of new ideas and technology e.g LBP/ youtube type sharing levels and features only possible via mandatory harddisk. PS store is generally regarded as the best compared to arcade and Wii.

Plus you will save more money by not paying for Live if you want. There's loads of benefits to going PS3 and Sony have been on the ball in regards to cooking up new ideas and features. :smile:

Don't listen to the Xbots who keep banging on about there being no games for the PS3, there are loads.

Get the Eggbox fixed, for games like Gears and Halo.

Buy a PS3, for the reasons Choze mentioned.

Don't listen to the Xbots who keep banging on about there being no games for the PS3, there are loads.
Can you give some examples? You said for Choze's reasons, but Choze didn't mention any games. LBP and MGS are obvious ones, anything else?

Can you give some examples? You said for Choze's reasons, but Choze didn't mention any games. LBP and MGS are obvious ones, anything else?

Do you actually want me to list PS3 games?

MGS4 and LBP.

The only reasons I'm tempted to go anywhere near a PS3. The other games can shove it, not to mention Live has superiority over the PSN.

• Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Resistance 2
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Unreal Tournament 3
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • Heavenly Sword
  • MotorStorm
  • MotorStorm 2
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
  • Everybody's Golf: World Tour
  • Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice

MGS4 and LBP.

The only reasons I'm tempted to go anywhere near a PS3. The other games can shove it,

That is subjective and depends on your personal taste. PS3 is excellent at many genres and i would always argue its the better system if you care for variety. Plus you get games like LBP which currently are not possible on other systems. It certainly feels more cutting edge when you play exclusives or games from PSN like Wipeout or GT5P. :smile:

to mention Live has superiority over the PSN.

This was true at launch but its no longer clear cut. Infact the improvements since launch are what lead to MS resorting to NXE. Sony may have been slower but when they do an equivalent feature they implement it nicer maybe due to more powerful hardware and time. Expect Home to be out soon in beta, something which Wii and 360 cant really do. Dont worry about the video store because the store and an extra free service is also coming next year.

• Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Resistance 2
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Unreal Tournament 3
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • Heavenly Sword
  • MotorStorm
  • MotorStorm 2
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
  • Everybody's Golf: World Tour
  • Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice

Quick note, UT3 is on the 360 as well ;)

It's not a bad list, a few i'd like to play and with Blu-Ray as well i'm considering a PS3 myself. For games only i couldn't justify £300 for it, there's only Little Big Planet, Uncharted, the 2 Resistance games, Warhawk and possibly Ratchet that i'd definitely buy. The controllers are horrible as well, it's always been a turn off for me where the Playstaton is concerned...

Xbox Live is a better service than PSN, but not much.

Also, lets look at the cost involved.....

Playstation

PS3 80Gig = £299.99

Total = £299.99

Equivelent Xbox

Elite Console = £219.99

Wireless Adapter = £54.99

HD-DVD Drive = £49.89

12 Months Subscription to Live = £34.99

Total = £359.86

Wireless Adapter = £54.99

HD-DVD Drive = £49.89

12 Months Subscription to Live = £34.99

Total = £359.86

Not gone down in price yet? :hmm:

Why buy a HD-DVD drive? Its a dead format...

Why indeed...

But thats not the point, the point I was trying to make was it would actually cost more to buy an Xbox that is equivelent to the PS3.

I use the word equivelent loosely.

That would be the point if you were trying to match your Xbox with your PS3 but the point of buying one console over the other is because they have different merits.

You have to pay for live every year. I've spent £120 on Live subscription.

That's expensive.

Get a PS3.

Had the console not been sold to me by Uncharted, LBP and MGS4 I'd definitely be sold by KillZone 2 and Heavy Rain.

ps3 has free online, which is a plus.

id get a 360 if i could afford it, but the ps3 is a better allround console, the blu ray player is great, real deal breaker for me.

ontop of that, its got some decent exclusives, lbp, valkaria, mgs4, the resistence serise plus a few more. uncharted, drakes fortune gets my own personal "buy it or i'll fucking stab you!" award. x box has its own exclusives mind, some are ment to be good.

all comes down to what you want, i love the ps3, im very happy with my choice of it mover a 360, but the 360 is a fine console, though online is expensive, but a bit more chatty (if you dont mind the odd wanker being racist or 10 or angry that you win) while ps3 online is pretty much a no talking afair.