NEurope

colin+mcrae+dirt+2.jpg

Codemasters® today announced that Colin McRae: DiRT™2, the sequel to the acclaimed best-selling off-road racer of 2007, is now in development at Codemasters Studios for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft® and Games For Windows® LIVE with further editions for Wii™, Nintendo DS™ and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system due for simultaneous release in 2009.

GoNintendo

There are no games available like this for the Wii yet, so I'm very happy by the announcement :smile:

My brother has the original DiRT on PS3, so maybe I will have a go at it some day to see what it is like :heh: ..I'm sure it is very different now, but Colin McRae Rally on the Playstation was great :yay:

Edited by nekunando

I can't wait to see something of their Formula 1 '09 game!

The original DiRT looked awesome!

Hope the Wii version is its own game and isn't developed along with the PSP version!

DiRT was an interresting game. The Wii lacks good racers, so this is quite close to a godsent.

And of course, I'm happy that the term "multi format" finally is starting to include the Wii.

I'd rather have Grid on my wii....

Anywho, great to hear that a sequel is being made, and it will reach more consoles than the first. I loved the first, just preferred Grid.

Read more of the article, better physics and damage :D twice the detail in cars and tracks of what was seen in Grid:o

I'm hoping for some hot screens soon.

Well, they are doing it as a way to honor Colin McRae. After talking with the family they are using hte name as an honorific, which is nice seeing as how he was a consultant on plenty of their games.

Awesome news. If this is even in a similar vein to CMR 1+2 we're in for an amazing treat. Can't see Codemasters delivering anything other than a simulation with astounding graphics. I'd be really surprised if they went casual.

Can't wait.

I really want Codemasters to bring back Micro machines... Oh, the memories. :(

problem is micromachines v4 was a great little title that was slashes in reviews

Awesome news. If this is even in a similar vein to CMR 1+2 we're in for an amazing treat. Can't see Codemasters delivering anything other than a simulation with astounding graphics. I'd be really surprised if they went casual.

Can't wait.

Ever play the first DiRT? It's definitely not a sim, it's an arcade racer. It's one of my favourite racing games of all time! (i can't stand racing sims).

problem is micromachines v4 was a great little title that was slashes in reviews

The DS was MADE for Micromachines :o

I've still got it on the Game Gear! : peace:

Ever play the first DiRT? It's definitely not a sim, it's an arcade racer. It's one of my favourite racing games of all time! (i can't stand racing sims).

Yeah, sorry. I meant the term simulation in the vein that DiRT is a sim in comparison to something like Mario Kart ;)

The DS was MADE for Micromachines :o

I've still got it on the Game Gear! : peace:

I still have it on the Snes. Made by Ocean, remember them?!

WTF... Is April Fools still going or something! :nono:

This looks like Multi Racing Championship, one of the very first N64 games I owned!

That was great fun [at the time]... This is not!!

Doing exactly the same to this as F1 2009 on the Wii. Looks bloody awful yet they'll hope it plays well but very much doubt it if you look at the only other game in that category, MotoGP, which was really bad. I mean, Codemasters developed stuff for the Gamecube last generation so how in the hell can't they at least reproduce a similar quality to that instead of giving some pre-PS2 stuff.

Codemasters aren't developing the Wii games in-house though are they, they're passing them off... and man are they turning out aweful!

I don't know why, but I've never associated the Codemasters brand with quality.

I don't know why, but I've never associated the Codemasters brand with quality.

Except for the old Micro Machines.

Except for the old Micro Machines.

Oh man, Micro Machines was the shit back in the dude.

Anyone have Turbo Tournament '96? Where you had two extra controller ports on top of the cartridge? Genius. :)

Actually, I'd love a Micro Machines game for either the Wii or DS right now. I'd snap it up.

^ I know there is a Micro Machines game on the DS, called Micro Machines V4 I believe that's a bit meh but there's nothing on the Wii. I have one of the megadrive ones that came packed as a double hit cartridge with some pinball game. I remember spending ages on it. Very good game back in the day.

^ I know there is a Micro Machines game on the DS, called Micro Machines V4 I believe that's a bit meh but there's nothing on the Wii. I have one of the megadrive ones that came packed as a double hit cartridge with some pinball game. I remember spending ages on it. Very good game back in the day.

I remember hearing about V4, but it seemed to disappear off the radar. Bit disappointed that it seems to be meh.

A Micro Machines on the Wii would be awesome, though. Top down, so the same viewpoint as the old games, with the ability to create your own levels in excessive detail. Share the levels over WiiConnect24, Online Races, maybe up to 16 racers? That'd be fun. Also, that multiplayer mode where as soon as a player goes off screen, they are out of the race. That was the main multiplayer mode, if I remember right. 4 players, 1 screen. Players get elminated if they disappear off the screen. Such a brilliant mode.

Give eeet to me naaaw.

This looks like Multi Racing Championship, one of the very first N64 games I owned!

I actually had that game aswell, it wasn't bad but it only had 3 tracks IIRC (not counting the mirror tracks).

I already see how this is going to be:

******5 months after DiRT2 is released******

IGN: So, five months have passed since its release, how do you feel about DiRT2? In retrospective, what do you guys think that worked, and what could have been done better?

CM: Well he are actually pretty happy with the final product. The PS3/360 version sold within expectations, and the media response was generally positive. So we are really happy about that.

The Wii version, on the other hand, sold less than expected. When we decided that we would be doing it, we thought "Well, the Wii is the market leader so we probably should pay a good amount of attention to it". So we decided to take it on our hands, that's why we outsourced it to Sumo Digital. They really understand how to take as much as possible out of the Wii, as Virtua Tennis for PSP shows. They even were able to make it run without the Expansion Pack. But in the end, we feel that it didn't sold as much as we wanted to. Maybe we misjudged the audience, and the casual crowd doesn't want a more realistic driving simulator.

That's why we decided to make DiRT3 exclusive 360/PS3/PC. The Wii will be getting "Imagine: Colin Mcrae in your console", which will suit the audience better.

Edited by Meo

That just looks appalling doesn't it? Can we petition them to not release it? I'm all for some great driving action on the Wii, but this really doesn't look like what we're after at all.