NEurope
Dante

Reggie Thinks 3rd Parties Don't 'Get' The Wii

Its actually quite sad as a long time Nintendo fan, for what Nintendo have created in the past, I regarded them much more than simple game developers but something a little bit deeper - this is what kept me during the dryer N64 and GC spells. Its just disappointing to know that they don't share the same enthusiasm regarding their fans. I felt like the Wii was actually ruining gaming for me as a hobby and making me less interested because I was just so bored or the games were of the pick up and play nature.
Exactly. Even in those terrible dry spells you used to keep faith in Nintendo because you knew that as a developer they were on the cutting edge, and were always one step ahead of everyone else. By releasing such an underpowered console they've fallen behind. As much we say "gameplay over graphics" the fact remains that the extra processing power of real next-gen hardware gives developers a lot more scope for gameplay innovations and enhancements.

Why the offensive tone? Just say your piece and move on... You didn't even comment on what was actually wrong with what he said. :indeed:

For a start there's the fact that he said it's our "fault" that Nintendo are performing well. His opinion is not fact yet he presents it as fact in most threads; buying games that we enjoy, such as Animal Crossing and Wii Music, is not a crime, nor is the success of a company due to this something that we as Nintendo fans should have "blame" pinned on us for.

For a start there's the fact that he said it's our "fault" that Nintendo are performing well. His opinion is not fact yet he presents it as fact in most threads; buying games that we enjoy, such as Animal Crossing and Wii Music, is not a crime, nor is the success of a company due to this something that we as Nintendo fans should have "blame" pinned on us for.

...Now you put it like that, fair enough. :)

First of all dazzy made some great posts as far as examples go so I'll stay out of it.

Second, it's simply mind blowing to see that regardless of what Nintendo does, they get accused of doing whatever's the trend of accusation. Their core games have all been fantastic, Mario Galaxy reached levels few though possible and Wii Music proves exactly why they're "much more than simple game developers but something a little bit deeper". People might be close minded and want to shrug it off as crap but the ammount of creativity and originality behind Wii Music is amazing, no other dev would have the balls to do this, if they could even come up with it.

Most of their main franchises were out in less than two years, with new ones coming out not to mention some good 3rd party support, but it's like people go "nah nah I don't wanna hear it". Mario Kart has good online, but people still say online is impossible on Wii. Smash Bros has an incredible ammount of love and fan service put into it, yet people say they forgot about their gamers. They release an amazing 2D platformer on a home console and translated a cult shooter, but still, they aren't the Nintendo of old. WiiWare has been awesome, but people ignore the games like they're not even there.

You don't like their games, maybe you've moved on to another type of games, you now want online shooters and achievments or whatever, that's cool, I like those too. You can, no, you should speak your mind, that's cool, Nintendo has flaws, as does Wii, Sony, Microsoft and so on, but let's not distort reality here It's like I'd go here and say 360 catalog is poor. Now, to me, 360 catalog provides an alternative to Wii and I like it, but it's not the kind of software that pumps me up a lot most of times (Mirror's Edge is the first 360 game that I picked up in a store at launch and felt "Damn it I really wanna buy this now"), so I could just say "360 sucks, its ruining gaming for me", but the thing is, it's not. One thing is how I feel about the games or how my tastes have changed another thing is what's out there for people to like. That's of course, what one calls opinon :P but it doesn't change the reality that Nintendo still has high quality games, they still take time to make and yet, they're making them faster than before and that 3rd party support got much better since N64 days. The Nintendo of old is still here. They're still stubborn as hell, they still withold info, they still make our Zeldas, they still make those quirky innovative games and they still get fans crying at every little thing.

Indigo I've seen so little games that actually take real and I mean real advantage of "next gen" hardware, aside from pumping up that hideous UE3 engine, there's really not a lot of gameplay innovations and enhancements that came from horsepower.

And I'm not touching Grazza's post not even with a 10-foot pole.

mcj I'm sorry, please forgive me for buying games I enjoy and are so utterly soulless. Blessed those who buy Gears of War 2, a game that changed since the first one and brought so much to gaming, hallowed are those who buy CoD:WaW God knows there are so little WWII RPGs, we must inform gamers that Nazis were bad. And praised be those who buy Guitar Hero after Guitar Hero and find the goodness deep inside them to buy the expansions. May the pope canonize those who eagerly awaited Resistance 2, a sequel to a fantastic and original game. Surely these are the brave few who will save gaming from doom and the fires of Hell, fires which I know something about.

Seriously, what the hell. People buy what they want, when they want if they want, they aren't to be blamed for anything. Everyone with half a brain knows that Wii was never meant to get all the games and experiences the other 2 have, just as they don't get the ones Wii has. But anyone who also tries to use at least a bit of half that brain can figure out that a lot of games that some say are impossible on Wii are completely feasible to be on the system, but for various reasons, some legitimate some not, not every developer wants to do it.

A little inflamatory? Perhaps. You can deal with it, you know it's all love. You also know you'll take this as me being a fanboy and not accepting opinons or whatever flies these days, so no need to be PC.

Its not that hardcore games don't sell on the Wii. Its that bad hardcore games don't sell on the Wii. Hardcore gamers alone are not enough of an audience for a console, every console needs some of the masses. The HD Consoles right now have Chavs and Fadders as their Mass audience and Nintendo has casual gamers and non gamers. But all the consoles have their share of hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers do their homework and know what games are good, mass markets don't. Mass Markets are the people who end up buying the bad games because of this. So, bad hardcore looking games will sell well on the 360 and PS3 because Chavs and fadders will buy them without knowing the difference. Just like the Wii's mass audience will buy every single waggle fest you throw at them not knowing the difference between Ubicrap and Nintendo's casual offerings. This gives the illusion that hardcore games don't sell on Nintendo consoles. But thats wrong. Good hardcore games do sell well on Nintendo consoles, in-fact, a lot of the good hardcore games on the Wii, sell just as well as good hardcore games on other consoles.

The thing with the 360 atm: it's providing me with many 'wow' moments. Engrossing gameplay, cutting-edge technology, incredible storylines - these are all things I consider synonomous with the platform. The vision, the scope, the drive to innovate in terms of narratives, and gameplay; the connectivity and the sheer visual splendour that more and more games possess. This vision is just more in line with my gaming styles and perception of the industrie's direction. I see solid games on the Wii - but nothing that makes me go 'wow', and invokes any substantial reaction. From a selfish point of view, i'm not a fan of the change. I couldn't care less if Nintendo is the market leader, or has introduced new people to gaming; I'm not liking the direction Nintendo have chosen to take and I know quite a few others feel the same.

The thing with the 360 atm: it's providing me with many 'wow' moments. Engrossing gameplay, cutting-edge technology, incredible storylines - these are all things I consider synonomous with the platform. The vision, the scope, the drive to innovate in terms of narratives, and gameplay; the connectivity and the sheer visual splendour that more and more games possess. This vision is just more in line with my gaming styles and perception of the industrie's direction. I see solid games on the Wii - but nothing that makes me go 'wow', and invokes any substantial reaction. From a selfish point of view, i'm not a fan of the change. I couldn't care less if Nintendo is the market leader, or has introduced new people to gaming; I'm not liking the direction Nintendo have chosen to take and I know quite a few others feel the same.

This is a fair point well put. Problem is, a lot of people refuse to see the other side of it. Many people I know are confused when I tell them that I do not have a 360 or PS3 and I have no intention of buying either, simply because the line-ups really don't seem appealing to me.

At the end of the day, it's all about the games, and the same contradictory arguments pop up all the time: Nintendo aren't making enough games, 3rd parties aren't making enough games, Nintendo need to lay off and let 3rd parties make more games, etc. You have to expect that on an internet forum, I guess.

As for the "wow factor", I guess people have differing thresholds. For me, I was genuinely wowed the first time I used the Remote on Wii Sports. I was wowed at Twilight Princess' epicness, and Metroid Prime 3's beauty. I was wowed at almost every puzzle on Zack and Wiki they were so genius. As a contrast, I was not that wowed with Gears of War, and still fail to see the fuss over Call of Duty 4.

Not that relavent to the topic, but who is these days?

That's normal, each one has his own taste, but you can't deny the quality of Nintendo's games nor of the 3rd parties. Not to mention, Nintendo has ALWAYS followed this path. If anything, people chose another direction and wished for Nintendo to follow them turning into MS or Sony.

Isn't this supposed to be about 3rd parties anyway? Because it's turning into another Wii general hate thread.

This is a fair point well put. Problem is, a lot of people refuse to see the other side of it. Many people I know are confused when I tell them that I do not have a 360 or PS3 and I have no intention of buying either, simply because the line-ups really don't seem appealing to me.

At the end of the day, it's all about the games, and the same contradictory arguments pop up all the time: Nintendo aren't making enough games, 3rd parties aren't making enough games, Nintendo need to lay off and let 3rd parties make more games, etc. You have to expect that on an internet forum, I guess.

As for the "wow factor", I guess people have differing thresholds. For me, I was genuinely wowed the first time I used the Remote on Wii Sports. I was wowed at Twilight Princess' epicness, and Metroid Prime 3's beauty. I was wowed at almost every puzzle on Zack and Wiki they were so genius. As a contrast, I was not that wowed with Gears of War, and still fail to see the fuss over Call of Duty 4.

Not that relavent to the topic, but who is these days?

The beauty is: there's something for everyone on the market atm (to me, this is the best period in gaming, since I began with Pokemon). I can apreciate how the wiimote is a revelation to alot of people, but it just didn't click with me from the word go. Like you said at the end of the day, it's about games and less about interface.

Thing is, XBL has completely enraptured me and I've kind lost touch with solo gaming. Even when i'm playing a single-player adventure such as Mass Effect, it feels good to be connected and able to chat to freinds easily, or duck in and out of games for a multiplayer sesh till late-night.

As a side note: I need to pick up some of the hidden-gems that are so often vaunted on these boards - hopefully in the process rediscovering the Wii in a new light. :heh:

Edit: sorry, way off topic - was just following the flow of the convo...

Indeed, there's something for everyone. Only problem is money to get everything :P I have a Wii and 360 and I'm perfectly happy with both, I can't even get all the games I want for either of them. With that said, being the consumist sucker that I am I also want a PS3 and a PSP. Sigh.

That's normal, each one has his own taste, but you can't deny the quality of Nintendo's games nor of the 3rd parties. Not to mention, Nintendo has ALWAYS followed this path. If anything, people chose another direction and wished for Nintendo to follow them turning into MS or Sony.

Isn't this supposed to be about 3rd parties anyway? Because it's turning into another Wii general hate thread.

This is a great point. And I do believe Nintendo have always been this way, its only just that this generation the quality of their flagship titles are rather low in comparison to previous generations. People were complaining about Nintendo's ways back then too, but owning the only console that could play gems like mario 64, OOT, pokemon Stadium etc were enough to justify the negatives... But now the picture is a little blurry.

Paper Mario/Paper Mario 2 > Super Paper Mario.

Pokemon Stadium > Pokemon Battle Revolution.

These are the major two for me that I know if they turned as great as their predecessors and harnessed their potentials, I definitely know I'll be playing at least PBR online to this day and justify me owning the console. To me its just the little things that Nintendo have let slide this generation - a little nerfing here, a little deficiency there - just just assembles into a big snowball.

The quality of Nintendo games are integral to the respect 3rd parties will have for a Nintendo console. If Nintendo are doing something bad, 3rd parties will only do it worst.

One more thing I want to add, for example. The must-have Wii launch title was a Gamecube port and marketed it as if it was original Wii software, I feel this is what started the trend for Capcom and others to get the idea of releasing old titles with simply adding wiimote support. Nintendo has to lead by example - its no good complaining that the 3rd parties aren't getting it right, when their not either.

Indeed, there's something for everyone. Only problem is money to get everything :P I have a Wii and 360 and I'm perfectly happy with both, I can't even get all the games I want for either of them. With that said, being the consumist sucker that I am I also want a PS3 and a PSP. Sigh.

I'm in the same predicament - I need a job! There's so much for the Wii that I've yet to experience.

As for the Thread topic...:heh:. Hmmm...seems a difficult balancing act: creating a console affordable enough from the outset to entice this 'mass audience', whilst pushing the tech far enough to create interest from Pubs/Devs who want their ip's to progess, in terms of base game mechanics: AI, graphics, blah blah.

People forgot the games coming out next year?

Half of them are from not well known 3rd parties but doing better job than the well known 3rd parties.

Wii's 2009 games

Mad World – Release Date: Q1 2009

Published by: SEGA, Developed by: Platinum Games, Genre: Action

Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Xseed Games, Developed by: Vanillaware, Genre: Action

Sin and Punishment 2 - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Nintendo, Developed by: Treasure, Genre: Action

Deadly Creatures - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: THQ, Developed by: Rainbow Studios, Genre: Action Thriller

Punch-Out! - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Nintendo, Developed by: Next Level Games, Genre: Fighter

Monster Hunter 3 - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Capcom, Developed by: Capcom, Genre: RPG adventure

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Namco , Developed by: Namco, Genre: Platformer

Cosmic Walker - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Nintendo , Developed by: Gaia

Another Code R / Trace Memory R - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Nintendo, Developed by: Cing Inc., Genre: P&C Adventure

Arc Rise Fantasia - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Marvelous Interactive, Developed by: Image Epoch, Genre: RPG

Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Bandai Nanco, Developed by: tri-Crescendo, Genre: RPG

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time - Release Date: January 29

Published by: Square-Enix, Developed by: Square-Enix, Genre: Adventure RPG

Rune Factory Frontier - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Marvelous Interactive, Developed by: Neverland, Genre: RPG

Little King's Story Release Date: January 6, 2009

Published by:Marvelous Interactive, Developed by:Cing Inc., Genre: Strategy RPG

Endless Ocean 2: Beautiful Ocean - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Nintendo, Developed by: Arika, Genre: Live simulator Adventure

Sonic and the Black Knight - Release Date: Q1 2009

Published by: SEGA, Developed by: SEGA, Genre: Adventure Platformer

Dynamic Slash - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: - , Developed by:Sadlot, Genre: Action adventure

Marble Saga: Kororinpa 2 - Release Date: Q2 2009

Published by: - , Developed by: Hudson Soft, Genre: Action Puzzle

Ougon no Kizuna - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Jaleco Entertainment, Developed by: Jaleco Entertainment, Genre: RPG

Tenchu 4: Art of the Ninja - Release Date: Q1 2009

Published by: Ubisoft, Developed by: Acquire, Genre:

Fatal Frame 4: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: -, Developed by: Tecmo, Genre: Survival Horror

The Calling - Release Date: TBA

Published by: Hudson, Developed by: Hudson, Genre: Survival Horror

Cursed Mountain - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Deep Silver, Developed by Deep Silver:, Genre: Survival Horror

The House of the Dead: Overkill - Release Date: Q1 2009

Published by: SEGA, Developed by: Headstrong Games, Genre: Shooter

Overlord: Dark Legend - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Codemasters, Developed by: Climax Studios, Genre: Adventure

The Conduit - Release Date: Q1 2009

Published by: SEGA, Developed by: High Voltage Software, Genre: FPS

The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces - Release Date: Q1 2009

Published by: BandaiNanco, Developed by: Project Aces, Genre: Flight Action

K.O.R.E Gang - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: - , Developed by: Snap Dragon Games , Genre: Adventure

Spawn Smasher - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Nintendo, Developed by: Artoon , Genre: Platformer

Let's Tap - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: SEGA, Developed by: Prope, Genre: Party

Taiko Drum Master - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Namco, Developed by: Namco, Genre: Music game

Bleach: Versus Crusade - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: SEGA, Developed by: Treasure, Genre: fighter

Lost Magic / Takt of Magic - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Nintendo, Developed by: Taito, Genre: RPG

Wii Sports Resort - Release Date: Q2 2009

Published by: Nintendo, Developed by: Nintendo, Genre: Sport

Tales of --- (a mothership Tales title )

Published by: Namco, Developed by: Namco, Genre: RPG

Red Steel 2 - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by:Ubisoft , Developed by: Ubisoft, Genre: FPS

EA Tennis - Release Date: TBA 2009

Published by: Eletronic Arts, Developed by: EA Sports, Genre: Sport

Hmm, I don't see how TP influenced anything in that regard. I mean, first of all it came out before the GC game, 2nd it was a way of making sure more people played the game so it wouldn't get forgotton in GC's end of life. In the end, the game massively won from Wiimote controls, so I'm not bothered.

The ports are a fruit of the risk that Wii was in the beggining meaning 3rd parties put their betting money on the others and are now catching up. That and it's easier to port PS2/GC engines and assets than making a new engine, not to mention this way they can make 2 games for the price of one. I think TP had 0 and I really mean 0 influence on it.

Thing is asides from PBR, (SPM is great and I don't get how people compare it to PM since they're totally different, it's basically a spin off), Nintendo hasn't been slacking off and quality hasn't dropped. To me:

TP:best Zelda

MP3:best Prime, maybe tied with the 1st

Galaxy:best 3D Mario

Brawl:best Smash

MK Wii:best MK

WL5:best Wario Land

Also, no nerfing.

It couldn't be more further from truth that Nintendo aren't doing it right when all their titles (well maybe not Wii Chess and PBR) are high quality and most important of all and I can't stress this enough, as this is the main problem, their "casual" games were made seriously, respecting the consumer, putting serious brain power behind it and pushing the ideas, while the other 3rd parties just think "these guys don't know what's good or bad, we'll just pump out shit". While I'm a profound believer that most people are dumb, you should never, ever disrespect or underestimate your market.

Hmm, I don't see how TP influenced anything in that regard. I mean, first of all it came out before the GC game, 2nd it was a way of making sure more people played the game so it wouldn't get forgotton in GC's end of life. In the end, the game massively won from Wiimote controls, so I'm not bothered.

The ports are a fruit of the risk that Wii was in the beggining meaning 3rd parties put their betting money on the others and are now catching up. That and it's easier to port PS2/GC engines and assets than making a new engine, not to mention this way they can make 2 games for the price of one. I think TP had 0 and I really mean 0 influence on it.

Thing is asides from PBR, (SPM is great and I don't get how people compare it to PM since they're totally different, it's basically a spin off), Nintendo hasn't been slacking off and quality hasn't dropped. To me:

Also, no nerfing.

It couldn't be more further from truth that Nintendo aren't doing it right when all their titles (well maybe not Wii Chess and PBR) are high quality and most important of all and I can't stress this enough, as this is the main problem, their "casual" games were made seriously, respecting the consumer, putting serious brain power behind it and pushing the ideas, while the other 3rd parties just think "these guys don't know what's good or bad, we'll just pump out shit". While I'm a profound believer that most people are dumb, you should never, ever disrespect or underestimate your market.

Your opinion is strong and therefore I won't dispute it. But surely you can see that those games you've mentioned (all besides MP maybe and WL I haven't played) are way easier than previous iterations? Difficulty of a game can definitely add or subtract from a game.

*Big-ass list*

God, I need a job...

Your opinion is strong and therefore I won't dispute it. But surely you can see that those games you've mentioned (all besides MP maybe and WL I haven't played) are way easier than previous iterations? Difficulty of a game can definitely add or subtract from a game.

Brawl was easier than Melee? Must've missed the memo. Twilight Princess was not easier than Wind Waker, and a lot longer. Mario Kart is not easy online, obviously. Galaxy struck a balance quite well (as Smash does): it's easy for a new gamer to be introduced, but it takes a pro to master it. You're not telling me hunting down every single Star is an easy task.

Again, this whole "Nintendo's Wii games are dumbed down for casuals" really passes me by.

3rd parties could easily make a Wii dev team for better games, but they're making a profit from crap games since non-gamers are idiots and don't know what they want when it comes to games, so they pick up waggle games for some fun not knowing which ones are actually good, they don't know any better.

That mentality is what caused the '83 games industry crash.

Companies pumped out loads of crap in so many versions for different formats, a majority of the consumers just stopped buying games.

Brawl was easier than Melee? Must've missed the memo. Twilight Princess was not easier than Wind Waker, and a lot longer. Mario Kart is not easy online, obviously. Galaxy struck a balance quite well (as Smash does): it's easy for a new gamer to be introduced, but it takes a pro to master it. You're not telling me hunting down every single Star is an easy task.

Again, this whole "Nintendo's Wii games are dumbed down for casuals" really passes me by.

Well, of course this is subjective and so I'll end this trail here.

- Brawl: Has made it easier to spam, and characters are not as equal.

- TP: I would say TP's difficulty is on par with WW's once you take out that parry move. Yet enemies in WW still deliver greater damage than in TP.

- MK: Obviously wouldn't be easy online for...eh...obvious reasons. But the driving mechanics and the difference you feel with drivers is not as accurate as previously.

- Galaxy: was easy, the stars was just paced in incredibly rediculous places.

Bah, but as I type this I feel like I'm squeezing out reasons, but this is what i actually feel, but to each his own.

Well, of course this is subjective and so I'll end this trail here.

- Brawl: Has made it easier to spam, and characters are not as equal.

- TP: I would say TP's difficulty is on par with WW's once you take out that parry move. Yet enemies in WW still deliver greater damage than in TP.

- MK: Obviously wouldn't be easy online for...eh...obvious reasons. But the driving mechanics and the difference you feel with drivers is not as accurate as previously.

Bah, but as I type this I feel like I'm squeezing out reasons, but this is what i actually feel, but to each his own.

What?

What?

What?

What?

What?

What?

Just leave it as my opinion now, because this is what usually starts the fire. I'll back away... slowly.

I only agree with:

Everything else is bullshit.

Damn right

Damn... didn't played the other 2.

Damn no

DAMN RIGHT

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN RIGHT!!!

FUCKING DAMN RIGHT

Yes, now that i look at that perspective, Nintendo has been working so much, and yet its the most hated console on the net.

But if we look well, PS1 was the most hated while N64 was the most loved, then PS2 was the most hated while Dreamcast, Gamecube and XBOX were the most loved.

This is a funny pattern, the most sucessful is the most hated, the less sucessful(s) are the most loved.

And as you can see, to end the theory:

Nintendo Wii is the most hated, while XBOX360 and PS3 are the most loved.

I only agree with:

Everything else is bullshit.

Damn right

Damn... didn't played the other 2.

Damn no

DAMN RIGHT

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN RIGHT!!!

FUCKING DAMN RIGHT

Yes, now that i look at that perspective, Nintendo has been working so much, and yet its the most hated console on the net.

But if we look well, PS1 was the most hated while N64 was the most loved, then PS2 was the most hated while Dreamcast, Gamecube and XBOX were the most loved.

This is a funny pattern, the most sucessful is the most hated, the less sucessful(s) are the most loved.

And as you can see, to end the theory:

Nintendo Wii is the most hated, while XBOX360 and PS3 are the most loved.

But really, what do you know? :p

Okay King V.

the best zelda will always be Majora's Mask to me.

Agreed. And the hardest.

People forgot the games coming out next year?

Half of them are from not well known 3rd parties but doing better job than the well known 3rd parties.

Dude, you made the thread... why didn't you put this kinda info in your opening post rather than letting things spiral into despair before reminding us all of what we can expect once we make it through December! :heh:

Anyway, this thread has gone even further off topic than I thought it would. I think we need to get it back around to talking about whether third parties get the Wii or not, rather than harping on about whether Smash Bros has been nerfed or whatever. We've been there done that... :zzz: Its déjà-vu!

-------------------------

I can see both sides of the debate of whether third parties actually get the Wii or not. On the one hand you have the likes of Zack and Wiki, Boom Blox, the Rabbids, Bully, etc that show that yes, third parties do get the what the Wii is about. I've watched reviews for both Shaun White and Skate It this evening, and those two games sound like really good balance board efforts from third parties- and there's a peripheral that definitely needs to see some use!

On the other hand, we know all about the Petz games, the Brothers in Arms bollocks, the cash ins that line store shelves. To a certain degree though, it was always like this for us as Nintendo gamers. We've always had to sift through and find the gems (which normally were exclusively provided by Nintendo themselves, bar a few rare occassions when third parties gave us something like Beetle Adventure Racing). For me, the Wii is definitely the Nintendo home console which I own the most third party titles for... so you could say this points towards the fact that third parties do actually get the Wii.

Reggie is right.

Right now 3rd parties are enjoying the bubble about to burst by focusing just on PS3 and 360. Once Sony and Ms focus on earning a profit (Sony already are changing focus somewhat) several publishers and developers will go out of business or be taken over.

Right now with PS3 and 360 there is too much money going around through free advertising, paid exclusives that sell poorly, exclusive content, free royalties etc courtesy of hardware makers. It simply is not sustainable and offers virtually no long term gains.

Nintendo have the right approach. 3rd parties should flounder or succeed based on their own merit.