NEurope
Esequiel

Blockbuster caused me trouble!

So i bought a 360 60GB premium with Dead Space and Fifa 09 for £169.99. I traded Fifa straight away for £20 and got Forza 2 and £7.52 store credit. I get home unpack the console and start playing, but oh dear the games are scratched to hell.

These should be new games, not scratched up ones. So today i take them back, they do swap them over for me but say its because they have to take the games out of the cases to stop people stealing them. Obviously they have never heard of display cases.

While there i notice they have a sign saying a wireless controller is only £10 when bought with any xbox. I ask if i can have one and get told its a misprint and it should be £10 off any controller. I decide to have a look about for a cheaper option but dont find anything so returned later with some games for trade.

One of these games is sealed, its new, its Little Big Planet. I get to the till and ask for trade in prices, the woman behind the till gets some scissors and OPENS the new LBP. I was furious.

She told me that they had to do it when trading games to check that the games in there, fair enough but i only asked how much it was worth!!!! To top it all off i was then told that i couldnt have a controller at £10 discount as it had to be bought with the console.

I lost my temper and have ended up taking back the entire package and getting my £££ back :( Its a shame as its a good deal, but on the plus side they messed up and gave me £20 extra back.

Anyone ever tried to get PC World or Currys to price match? Neither would pricematch any offer that i wanted :(

Could you not ask game or gamestation to price match chicken? Thats annoying! I've never had that with blockbuster, but then I don't buy from places like that.

File a formal complaint? Might as well, they've messed you about!

One of these games is sealed, its new, its Little Big Planet. I get to the till and ask for trade in prices, the woman behind the till gets some scissors and OPENS the new LBP. I was furious.

She told me that they had to do it when trading games to check that the games in there, fair enough but i only asked how much it was worth!!!!

As the game was sealed, it was unnecessary to open it. As such, it's destruction of property, so threaten the sue them, and you'll get a nice settlement. :smile:

Could you not ask game or gamestation to price match chicken?

I can tomorrow, but i was looking forward to getting a proper go on it tonight :P I work Wednsday to Sunday, and i work really long hours so monday night is the only night where i have not been up early or need to be up early the next day :D

As the game was sealed, it was unnecessary to open it. As such, it's destruction of property, so threaten the sue them, and you'll get a nice settlement.

Thats what i thought lol, i told them that gamestation didnt open it when i checked the price with them >.>

I can tomorrow, but i was looking forward to getting a proper go on it tonight :P I work Wednsday to Sunday, and i work really long hours so monday night is the only night where i have not been up early or need to be up early the next day :D

Thats what i thought lol, i told them that gamestation didnt open it when i checked the price with them >.>

It seems very strange to open it and completely stupid also, they don't need to check the disc if it's sealed. I'd definately go back and demand something!

Could you not ask game or gamestation to price match chicken? Thats annoying! I've never had that with blockbuster, but then I don't buy from places like that.

File a formal complaint? Might as well, they've messed you about!

Game don't price match anything, and considering they now own GS I doubt they do too (or at least, only games, not bundles)

It seems very strange to open it and completely stupid also, they don't need to check the disc if it's sealed. I'd definately go back and demand something!

Yeah. I would only open a sealed game once the price has been confirmed.

And they need to be checked if sealed because it is quite easy to reseal games.

Good to know not all people are crazy then! This paticluar woman who served me has always had an attitude problem with me, ever since i have been buying from blockbuster.

Opening the seal to check the disc was in there (when you were just making an enquiry) is a pretty daft thing to do.

I think you should maybe file a complaint, as was suggested. They might even give you a sweeter deal for your troubles?

I can understand her opening it up if for a definite agreed trade-in but I agree with Fierce, there's no need for it.

Lodge a complaint!

Game don't price match anything, and considering they now own GS I doubt they do too (or at least, only games, not bundles)

And they need to be checked if sealed because it is quite easy to reseal games.

The cheap nasty plastic places tend to reseal games in is pretty different from the factory wrap.. also, games these days also tend to have a strip along the edge that opens, which breaks when you first open the game. I agree you can reseal a game, but it isn't instant/trivial

As a point of note I once had an extra sealed copy of Trauma Centre: Under the knife. I wanted to trade it in but no shop would accept it because it was sealed (and may have been stolen) in the end I had to break the seal myself and unwrap the plastic before I could get it traded in.

Is it possible that the lady at Blockbuster misheard you? Would the Trade in value drop if the seal was unbroken given that most places never used to accept sealed games?

Is it possible that the lady at Blockbuster misheard you? Would the Trade in value drop if the seal was unbroken given that most places never used to accept sealed games?

Technically she should have treated it as a new game, I'm pretty sure breaking the seal makes it a pre-owned and sealed means new, so if thats the case she shouldn't have opened it.

It's silly because either way there was no need to open it just asking the price of it.

The cheap nasty plastic places tend to reseal games in is pretty different from the factory wrap.. also, games these days also tend to have a strip along the edge that opens, which breaks when you first open the game. I agree you can reseal a game, but it isn't instant/trivial

Doesn't mean there aren't simple minded christmas temps out there :p

I have a funny feeling that Gamestation staff are slowly moving to Blockbuster, because this sounds like something that the Gamestation staff in Newport do.

Seriously, this is just stupid. Sign was mis-labelled. They have to sell you the item that is on the sign at the price said or thats false advertising and that can bring in complaints and Trading Standards. Disks shouldn't be scratched, Blockbuster should either use security sealed boxes like Tesco do or display cases like GAME do.

Technically she should have treated it as a new game, I'm pretty sure breaking the seal makes it a pre-owned and sealed means new, so if thats the case she shouldn't have opened it.

It's silly because either way there was no need to open it just asking the price of it.

It's pre-owned as soon as soon as a member of the general public has owned it, thats what i always thought anyway.

I don't see all the fuss, the only way it would have lowered its value is if he wanted to sell it on ebay bu im assuming most wont mind.

Seriously, this is just stupid. Sign was mis-labelled. They have to sell you the item that is on the sign at the price said or thats false advertising and that can bring in complaints and Trading Standards. .

Wrong. Under the "Offer To Treat" rules, they can offer it at a certain price, but are allowed to change the price at the till. Plus, this stops thieves changing the prices on the sticker and then insisting that new game x should be sold to them at the 49p price sticker they stole from the lolipop.

Wouldn't you feel great if something was labelled 37.99 and at the till it came up at 24.99? I know I would, but the shops certainly wouldn't. It works both ways.

You wouldn't complain if that was the situation, and that's still false advertising. Would you insist on paying the sticker price then?

I'm pretty sure it's the case that the shop CAN offer it/sell it to you at the mislabelled price if they wish, or they can refuse to but in that circumstance all stock must be pulled for 24 hours or something, that's what I used to hear when I was working in Game.

Its not false advertisement, its a mislabeled promotion. Granted it would have been nice to honour it but they have no need to. Chances are on the poster advertising the deal the small print at the bottom somewhere would have said "offer can be removed without any notice" (or along those lines).

Its not false advertisement, its a mislabeled promotion

You could work in PR. :heh:

"It's not dilapidated...it's rustic!"

It wasnt the fact the sign was mislabeled that bothered me. It was that they wouldnt let me have the deal 20 hours after i bought the xbox (and had my reciept) then opened my sealed LBP!

Its not false advertisement, its a mislabeled promotion. Granted it would have been nice to honour it but they have no need to. Chances are on the poster advertising the deal the small print at the bottom somewhere would have said "offer can be removed without any notice" (or along those lines).

You could work in PR. :heh:

"It's not dilapidated...it's rustic!"

I agree with Sheikah, but ashley is right, there's always a loophole in offers these days.

Hello

I was very interested to read all the Blockbuster threads.

I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with a recent pre order from them for Guitar hero 6.

My workmate noticed a "GOOD DEAL" on a pre order for Warriors or rock guitar hero 6, The deal was.

NEW GUITAR

GUITAR HERO 6 GAME

DRUMS

All this for a special pre order price of £39.99.

So i obviously told a friend who wanted the game for her son, she went down on the day of release and tried to collect it. Only to find that it was a mistake in the advertisement and she would have to pay another £90, when the pre order was placed her and myself asked if it was the whole bundle for £39.99 and was told yes.

I have not yet been to try and pick mine up yet as i wanted to see if anyone else had actually got the bundle or had the same issue, i cant find anything of the offer at all on the internet.

Thanks in advance

Mark