NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Portlett

student debt

Yeah? I'm going to be lazy and ask you for more info :P I should have a job of sorts, but will have to borrow to pay up-front regardless I guess.

University offers scholarships. Certain courses have their own specific ones (although mostly science courses and the like) and then there are general ones. There are also general governing body scholarships (so, for example, The Arts Council have one). Competition is high but best apply, as a scholarship doesn't need ot be repayed.

Banks offer further learning (or some name like that) loans. Ask your bank.

Its a tricky one, obviously in an ideal world it would be great if we didn't have to pay it; but it's better than the old system, where it was means tested as to people getting it all paid for them; and if you didn't then you had to pay it all yourself, there was no loan system. When I left college that was the last year of the old system and I couldn't go to Uni because my family earnt too much to get the loan, but not enough to pay me 3 years through Uni; they were just on the line. My sister didn't go to Uni for the same reason. The new system is fair to everyone, everyone can now go to University and all put in the same boat. So, obviously I prefer the new system. And also, the loan has no bearing whatsoever on your credit rating, it's not classed as 'debt', you only pay it back when you earn a decent wage; the amount you pay back is nominal and if you don't earn a good wage after 10 or 15 years it gets wiped away :)

Its a tricky one, obviously in an ideal world it would be great if we didn't have to pay it; but it's better than the old system, where it was means tested as to people getting it all paid for them; and if you didn't then you had to pay it all yourself, there was no loan system. When I left college that was the last year of the old system and I couldn't go to Uni because my family earnt too much to get the loan, but not enough to pay me 3 years through Uni; they were just on the line. My sister didn't go to Uni for the same reason. The new system is fair to everyone, everyone can now go to University and all put in the same boat. So, obviously I prefer the new system. And also, the loan has no bearing whatsoever on your credit rating, it's not classed as 'debt', you only pay it back when you earn a decent wage; the amount you pay back is nominal and if you don't earn a good wage after 10 or 15 years it gets wiped away :)

The old old system was better, it was free :p

The old old system was better, it was free :p

But only free to people who qualified. It was free, but it wasn't fair :)

that's what no interest means, in real world ness.

basically, if you buy £100 of food during uni, then pay the money back + inflation say 3 years later, whatever you pay back would buy you the same items of food £100 did in the first place.

This is why Dan Dare is King.

Meh.. I'm walking out of uni with £35k worth of debt, £42k if I take an intercalated Bsc. At the end of the day I'll be walking out with two (possibly three!) great degrees.

The Government kinda' shot themselves in the foot with regards to universities. They wanted more people to go, but at the cost of introducing tuition fees as they could no longer afford it!

to be fair, I think I borrowed that example off you. I'm pretty sure you've posted something similar.

I actually don't have any student loans, I've been very lucky and I have been able to find enough grants and scholarships to pay it all.

I do work during the school year though to pay for food and the such but that's an extremely small price to pay. I'm thankful for my life. :)

Sign in to follow this