NEurope
stuwii

Game aspects that really annoy you

Is there one thing about any game that just ruins it- in FIFA 09 you cannot see player growth- a major design flaw

Sparce save points...thats the one reason that stops me playing Metroid Prime too much. You do so much and dont see a save point for like an hour, then you get killed and have to repeat the hour...its stopped me playing them

It's extremely annoying when your character can't seem to climb a simple step and has to go around it for the ramp... Or jumping over low fences, etc.

I'll go with Serebii's point, I played Metroid Prime 2 for ages and didn't even have the option to save when I got stuck, so if ever I go back to it I'll have to restart the game.

Stats do not change on Fifa Wii at all

Yeah, so I hear.

Sparce save points...thats the one reason that stops me playing Metroid Prime too much. You do so much and dont see a save point for like an hour, then you get killed and have to repeat the hour...its stopped me playing them

The only place where there's a problem with save points in the whole MP saga is in MP2 when you fight the Alpha Blogg in the lower levels of Torvus Bog because it's a long way to get to him and if he kills you, it's a fucking bitch to get back to him. Fortunately, he only killed me once. If I had died the second time around I would have torn all my hair out!

It's the only flaw in the otherwise great save station positioning in all 3 games.

Slowdown or framerate issues in console games, annoys me no end. At least on a PC game I can leave the game until I upgrade no such luck on a console game.

Little content.

When you wait for so long for a game, and then barge out 500 krona, you expect more than 5 hours.

Also when you have to use strange methods to solve simple puzzles. I don't need a damn key to open that gate, the fence next to it is knee high!

Is there one thing about any game that just ruins it- in FIFA 09 you cannot see player growth- a major design flaw

I've missed your EPIC posts/threads! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :indeed:

FIFA 09...Look out for our upcoming review. : peace:

Things which grate on me:

Lack of environmental sound effects (I know).

Linear design in 3D worlds.

Epic-long sections which must be re-tread if you die.

Time Limits.

i really hate time limits.

+1. They have their place, but they're always abused.

And also, stealth missions in non stealth games. Sure, stealth is fine in MGS, but Phantom Hourglass had way too much of it.

Mario Kart Wii - You can't see your best lap time for each course on the records screen, you have to complete a 3 lap run to be able to see it. Terrible for a racing game.

Games that promise lots of features and actually have few.

(I thought the save stations in Prime were fine - I hope there will be another game that mesmorises me as much as the original, yet I doubt it *sob*)

Mario Kart Wii - You can't see your best lap time for each course on the records screen, you have to complete a 3 lap run to be able to see it. Terrible for a racing game.

Plus the whole, get hit by something every 5 seconds thing.

A thing i hate in games is they like to fill themselves, so that they can look like a 4029204912024914 hour RPG

Example: Okami

"So, YOU HAVE NOW TO DEFEAT OROCHI"

"Okay, buddy, defeated him"

"Ahahah, just messing with you, the real boss is Ninetails"

"... Okay..."

"TIME TO DEFEAT HIM!!!"

"Okay, defeated him"

"Ahahaahahah, you fell for it again, the real boss is Orochi again"

"WTF?"

Seriously, it annoys me.

Another annoying Example:

"Okay, so i'm building my character nice and slowly, awesomeeeee"

"A NEW BOSS"

"Yayyyyyy"

"Wait, you are 50 levels below him, you have to go back to the same area over and over again fighting with the same monsters over and over again until you are in the same level as him"

"WTF?"

I wouldn't mind if the gameplay was fun, but in most cases, when they do fill, the game gets boring as hell

Why can't they just do like Disaster: Day of Crisis? Few hours of Gamplay, but damn FUN!!!

That's all i want when i spend my 50 euros in a game, FUN... not one million hours of boring gameplay

Its not really an aspect as such... but... predictably I'm gonna have to highlight the METROID SERIES. :nono: What a load of old tosh.

over slow death scenes.. (yes yes I have seen it a trillion times already, no need to rub it in) Worst case scenario is that the game loads some scene or menu instead of just letting you start at the last checkpoint/ save RIGHT AWAY

Cutscenes that you can't skip..

Really hard fights where you die a lot.. but then have to start over and run though a whole lot of "level" just to get to the fight again..ARGH.. have dropped more than a few games on that ground

Freindly AI that does not die even though you have hit them in the face with a crowbar 20 times

GtaIV: Niko answering his phone (scripted) even though there are 20 cops shooting at him

Its not really an aspect as such... but... predictably I'm gonna have to highlight the METROID SERIES. :nono: What a load of old tosh.

Kinda off topic but...

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I adored Super Metroid and thought it was one of the best pieces of software to ever really nail the feeling of isolation. Since then I've heavily invested time in Prime 1 and Hunters...and I just didn't like the first person viewpoint. They are fabulous titles with some astonishing graphics and atmospheres for their respective systems, but they just don't "do it" for me like Super Metroid did.

I really hate the following:

1) The mother of all design flaws - a bad frame rate! I hate games that are ruined by this, and I hate to see a game chugging along, it's just makes it unplayable.

2) Excess waggle and too many nunchuck movements OR bizarre wii-mote movements. Too much waggle is annoying, but worse still with the nunchuck as it's less responsive than the Wii-mote. Also, zooming in on an FPS, yeah a button press will do thanks, how on earth will my cursor stay on an enemy when I have to thrust my arm forward! Twatty to say the least!

3) Excessive difficultly through game design flaws. There's nothing worse then playing a game where something in the design makes it hard to play it, for example when a recovery animation is so long that your character spends so long getting up off the floor you've been hit five more times before you're on your feet.

4) Treasure hunts! Yep, just when you think you've got to the final boss there' a door barring your path, to get the key you need to go back to every area you've previous visited and uncover part of the final key! This may extend the game by a few hours - but is it worth it?

5) Cheating computer opponents - well we've all seen this one, Mario Kart 64 was the classic example. How many times have you wanted to put your foot through the TV when you'e had a perfect race/level only to be defeated by an opponent that defies all the games laws and rules?

What annoys me:

1. Stupid design decisions i.e. Having to finish Smooth Moves before you can play multiplayer. That if you have the same time/score as someone in an event on M&S Olympics, player 1 will get the better score (and the fact the first event is double the points - fucking stupid). No multiplayer function in Wii Fit. There's hundreds of very small, unimportant bits like these that really bug me. WAY more than dodgy graphics, framerate etc.

2. Games which THINK they're intelligent and have great stories/scripts when they're fucking awful - GTA4 is the biggest example. Not slagging the game, but I laugh when ever ANYONE thinks it actually has a good story and script. For this games are still lightyears behind films!

3. When you die you have to go back fucking ages! I hate replaying bits I've already done!

4. A lack of modes, options and online in Nintendo games!

Bad voice acting, not bad as in hilariously RE 1 bad voicing just plain old bad voice acting.

Parts where you have to keep balance while walking *glares at God Of War*

Oh and

Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen Hey listen

4) Treasure hunts! Yep, just when you think you've got to the final boss there' a door barring your path, to get the key you need to go back to every area you've previous visited and uncover part of the final key! This may extend the game by a few hours - but is it worth it?

Reminds me of Metroid! Funnily enough I don't look back on the treasure hunt section of Wind Waker and despise it, because I think to an extent in WW it gave me a chance to further explore some areas I hadn't already visited.

I was gonna say rubberbanding as well. I can't think of much else off the top of my head... Hmm well, games with really bad music is a killer. If the music in a game isn't good, it can still work if it manages to fit the atmosphere the game is trying to portray... however outright bad music that doesn't come close to complimenting the game world is a total no no.