NEurope
Dante

Windows 7

Here's how I got Windows 7 on my Advent 4211 if anyone finds it useful.

- Used GParted Live USB to boot into an OS designed for partitioning.

- Shrunk down my main partition by 16GB and put a new NTFS partition in the free space.

- Downloaded Windows 7 beta iso

- Made a new fat 32 partition (10GB) on a USB drive

- Mounted the Windows 7 beta iso and dragged and dropped all the files out of it onto the USB partition.

(if it wasn't the advent 4211, I could've just run the installation within xp after mounting the iso and installed it on the partition, but because the advent comes with a recovery partition, it was having trouble modifying the boot and failing to install)

- booted into usb, installed windows 7, it failed to modify the boot (because of the 'techguys' partition) and exited the installation

- booted into usb again, chose "repair windows", it fixed the boot then installed windows 7. The techguys partition is no longer available from the boot screen, but that's ok because I backed it up onto a usb drive first :D

...just felt like sharing

I'm in love with it just for this simple thing - the shut down is defaulted so you don't have to click the arrow! <3

windows7shutdown.jpg

I'm in love with it just for this simple thing - the shut down is defaulted so you don't have to click the arrow! <3

windows7shutdown.jpg

You... can change that on Vista. And trying it on VirtualPC you're missing part of the appeal as it doesn't have hardware acceleration.

I'm deleting my Vista partition today on account of Vista being a lot slower and actually doing nothing i need over 7.

Ok, word of warning for everyone; don't try doing this.

It's taken me all afternoon to remove Vista from my system, repair the MBR and get Win 7 working again. Next time i'll just buy another HDD so i don't run out of space :blank: However i'm happy now, got plenty of spare HDD space and don't have to faff about choosing which OS i want to boot at start-up :yay:

Made a pointless demo, aero snaps, shake, and the option to make the taskbar not suck (I hate the textless, double height task bar).

One thing I REALLY hate though, is the right click menu (jump lists) I hate where they appear, so right click close is now a GODDAMN CHORE. I hope Microsoft do something about that otherwise it'll soon be an annoyance I wouldn't live with.

Ok, word of warning for everyone; don't try doing this.

It's taken me all afternoon to remove Vista from my system, repair the MBR and get Win 7 working again. Next time i'll just buy another HDD so i don't run out of space :blank: However i'm happy now, got plenty of spare HDD space and don't have to faff about choosing which OS i want to boot at start-up :yay:

Would've been easier to delete the windows 7 partition then update your vista partition, would've kept your files too. But I don't reccomend replacing vista with a beta. You'll find a lot of unsupported programs, I've already found I can't get daemon tools or ultramon working on win 7

Would've been easier to delete the windows 7 partition then update your vista partition, would've kept your files too. But I don't reccomend replacing vista with a beta. You'll find a lot of unsupported programs, I've already found I can't get daemon tools or ultramon working on win 7

PowerISO works fine to mount ISO files. :)

Football Manager 2009 is slow as hell for some reason and is totally unplayable though, considering using Vista just for that.

PowerISO works fine to mount ISO files. :)

Football Manager 2009 is slow as hell for some reason and is totally unplayable though, considering using Vista just for that.

It's like that anyway on my current system. lol!

Anyway please everyone ignore all my how do I partition on Linux bollocks I am getting a brand spanking new Samsung NC10 today! Should I put Windows 7 on it? worth the effort?

It's like that anyway on my current system. lol!

Anyway please everyone ignore all my how do I partition on Linux bollocks I am getting a brand spanking new Samsung NC10 today! Should I put Windows 7 on it? worth the effort?

Yes you should, it runs fine on it :)

EDIT: One problem I have found, when it goes to sleep, and you wake it back up, the sound doesn't seem to work after that :/

So you have to restart it if you want the sound back.

I didn't think upgrading 32-bit Vista to 64-bit 7 was possible?

If i have issues it's easy enough to reinstall Vista, better than it taking up 100GB on my drive and not being used. So far everything has been as normal, only faster and cleaner.

Windows 7 is magically incapable of connecting to my uni's WLAN while Vista could do it perfectly. I don't want to change back to Vista :sad:

It's somehow not working in Linux either anymore.

Really weird, you'd think it's hardware, but it connects to other WLANs fine. It can't connect to the special security which I thought was only a different software implementation.

And the WLAN hasn't changed either because my phone can still connect to it with similar settings (and all my flatmates still connect fine) :confused:

Windows 7 Sku

Windows 7 Starter

* Available worldwide to OEMs on new PCs

* Missing Aero UI tweaks

* Limited to 3 simultaneous applications

Windows 7 Home Basic (Vista equivalent: $200)

* Only available in emerging markets

* Missing Aero UI tweaks

Windows 7 Home Premium (Vista equivalent: $260)

* Available worldwide, to OEMs and in retail

* Includes Aero UI tweaks

* Features multi-touch capabilities

* Adds "premium" games

* Adds media capabilities (Media Center, DVD playback, DVD creation, etc.)

* Can create home network groups

Windows 7 Professional (Vista equivalent: $300)

* Includes all features of Premium

* Adds enhanced networking capabilities (Remote Desktop host, domain support, offline folders, etc.)

* Adds Mobility Center

* Adds Presentation Mode

Windows 7 Enterprise

* Available only in volume licenses

* Includes all features of Professional

* Adds Branch Cache

* Adds Direct Access

* Adds BitLocker

Windows 7 Ultimate (Vista equivalent: $320)

* Limited OEM and retail availability

* Includes all features of Enterprise

Windows 7 Sku

Windows 7 Starter

* Available worldwide to OEMs on new PCs

* Missing Aero UI tweaks

* Limited to 3 simultaneous applications

Windows 7 Home Basic (Vista equivalent: $200)

* Only available in emerging markets

* Missing Aero UI tweaks

Windows 7 Home Premium (Vista equivalent: $260)

* Includes Aero UI tweaks

* Features multi-touch capabilities

* Adds "premium" games

* Adds media capabilities (Media Center, DVD playback, DVD creation, etc.)

* Can create home network groups

Windows 7 Professional (Vista equivalent: $300)

* Includes all features of Premium

* Adds enhanced networking capabilities (Remote Desktop host, domain support, offline folders, etc.)

* Adds Mobility Center

* Adds Presentation Mode

Windows 7 Enterprise

* Available only in volume licenses

* Includes all features of Professional

* Adds Branch Cache

* Adds Direct Access

* Adds BitLocker

Windows 7 Ultimate (Vista equivalent: $320)

* Limited OEM and retail availability

* Includes all features of Enterprise

I hate how Microsoft must release loads of versions of the same product, its just confusing. If they needed multiple versions they could just have two a Home / Ultimate otherwise just do what apple do and release one version with everything on!

I hate how Microsoft must release loads of versions of the same product, its just confusing. If they needed multiple versions they could just have two a Home / Ultimate otherwise just do what apple do and release one version with everything on!

There only are a few versions you can actually get...

Windows 7 Starter

Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 7 Professional

Not too sure what's happening with Ultimate.

It says it'll be "available in limited retail stores". To create a feeling of exclusivity for an animated wallpaper I guess...

Also, I think Windows 7 Starter is really disrepectful to the consumer, crippling your OS to three open applications, and still have them pay for it...

I'll probably be happy with Home Premium or Business.

Blame the EU. They made MS have a version of its OS that dosn't come with Windows Media Player as it was unfair. Thats why you got Vista Home Basic, this is just the next step and its gonna be even better if the IE thing is passed.

Not true.

We have separate versions in the EU. We got things like "Home Premium N" which didn't have WMP installed. Home Basic didn't have domains, a lot of network and sharing controls or any aero graphics.

This is the thing MANY people don't understand. We're only getting two versions. 7 Home Premium and 7 Professional and a very limited supply of Ultimate. Not sure if it was mentioned above, but Windows 7 has "stacked" versions just like XP. So Professional has all of Home Premium's features with advanced networking controls. It'll probably be the version I pick up. Vista Ultimate was just a waste of time, unless they finally add dual taskbars.

Starter is meant for people with extremely low spec machines in 3rd world countries. They're never going to be running more than 3 apps at once in the first place. Home Basic is for developing markets like China and Africa and it'll never reach here like Vista Home Basic did.

If anything, this is only good news. Two SKU's!

Finally, good news with a choice of 2 OS's in Europe. With Vista giving too many choices in Basic, Premium, Business and Ultimate just to name a few, it will be a nice change.

I'm currently deciding on Premium or Professional for Windows 7 when it gets released in retail form. (not downloading the Beta).

I should use this time to purchase a new HDD twice the current size i think.