NEurope
Dante

Windows 7

It'll drag everything over, but this is a beta and should not be used as your primary OS.

Apparently Windows 7 is pretty damn snappy on Atom netbooks such as the Vaio P and MSI Wind. Awesome. As in, faster than XP.

I have a Samsung NC10 which is an Atom netbook, think I should try this beta?

If anyone can show me how to do a partition, could I install the beta on another partition just so I can switch between XP and 7?

Guess which muppet printed his key code as an XPS file and now can't figure out how to open the bloody thing?...

None of the software i can find seems to install properly so it looks like i'll be needing a new key

beta is still open so you could just get another key?

One aesthetic feature of Windows 7 I really like is setting my wallpaper to be a whole folder of wallpapers and having it swap them around on shuffle every x minutes :)

Guess which muppet printed his key code as an XPS file and now can't figure out how to open the bloody thing?...

None of the software i can find seems to install properly so it looks like i'll be needing a new key :hmm:

Have you tried... IE?

Yeah, it didn't work. All it did was download the file from my computer to... my computer!

Nice to see W7 has an XPS Viewer buils in :)

So far i'm not a fan of the new UI and i'm actually finding the OS a little sluggish. I find the new task bar too big and distracting. Seems a bit odd given everyone else is loving it.

Has anyone else had the problem of the gadgets not showing up?

I restarted the computer and they didn't load and they wont appear if I right click on the desktop and then select gadgets? Also how do I get rid of the recycle bin on the desktop? In Vista I could just select it and press 'delete'. I know I can deselect 'show desktop items' but if I ever get the gadgets back that would remove them as well!

I have a Samsung NC10 which is an Atom netbook, think I should try this beta?

If anyone can show me how to do a partition, could I install the beta on another partition just so I can switch between XP and 7?

Yeah, Jordan was referring to any Atom netbook. Try this guide for installing it on a partition (follow the instructions for XP) http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-with-xp-or-vista
So far i'm not a fan of the new UI and i'm actually finding the OS a little sluggish. I find the new task bar too big and distracting. Seems a bit odd given everyone else is loving it.
I find the taskbar takes some getting used to, like avatars here, everyone's scared of bigger, but eventually it becomes cool :heh: on the other hand I can see where you're coming from with sluggish, certain things are much faster - boot times and viewing and connecting to networks stand out - but some things are very clunky. Firefox for example really chugs, and cursor focus is a bit iffy. It's a beta though so hopefully it'll be ironed out. Had some strange bugs too, like if you try and ctrl+click a bunch of files, after about 10-20 seconds, all the ones you've highlighted will just randomly unhighlight, a bit irritating if you've just been through a big list clicking on some specific files!
Has anyone else had the problem of the gadgets not showing up?

I restarted the computer and they didn't load and they wont appear if I right click on the desktop and then select gadgets? Also how do I get rid of the recycle bin on the desktop? In Vista I could just select it and press 'delete'. I know I can deselect 'show desktop items' but if I ever get the gadgets back that would remove them as well!

Haven't tried it, but maybe right click desktop -> personalize -> change desktop icons? you could do it like that in vista

One aesthetic feature of Windows 7 I really like is setting my wallpaper to be a whole folder of wallpapers and having it swap them around on shuffle every x minutes :)

I've been waiting for this feature to jump over to Windows very cool, but well over 4 years too late.

Just another little dig!

Haven't tried it, but maybe right click desktop -> personalize -> change desktop icons? you could do it like that in vista

Ah, that worked great, thanks!

Any ideas on the gadget problem anyone?

Installed on my NC10, loved it so much, I now have it on my desktop :D

I'm surprised it's faster than Vista, lovely new features, took to the new task bar right away, love the fact theres just one icon for the program, and just highlight it to select which window you want to open. Alot cleaner.

Windows 7 ftw!

EDIT: Thankyou to Shorty for the help.

Nice to hear it works well on a netbook :) my advent doesn't have a CD drive and I don't have a big enough USB device so I haven't tried it powered by atom yet...

Nice to hear it works well on a netbook :) my advent doesn't have a CD drive and I don't have a big enough USB device so I haven't tried it powered by atom yet...

I stole my sisters external cd drive :P

But yeah, runs smooth on it, would say a little bit slower than xp, just a tiny bit though, but to be fair I haven't had a long enough session on it to really compare :/

Anyone know any good dedicated Windows 7 communities or forums? I feel like I'm missing a load of things, and also can't work some things out.

Just wondering....if I got a Windows 7 key now, and downloaded it (their site or torrent) sometime next month, should it still work (I'm guessing it would as some people may need to re-install it)?

I am thinking of getting acer aspire one with linux on it, can anyone point in the direction of somewhere to find out how to partition the hard drive I can't find anything....also is it relatively simple to boot Windows 7 off a usb drive?

Here you go Flameboy.

Partitioning hard drive

Re. the second question; I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to do that.

Windows 7 is proving pretty stable. I'm deleting my Vista partition today on account of Vista being a lot slower and actually doing nothing i need over 7. I'm not really finding any of the new features particularly useful though, it's basically a smoother, easier to use version of Vista with an alternative GUI slapped on.

Here you go Flameboy.

Windows 7 is proving pretty stable. I'm deleting my Vista partition today on account of Vista being a lot slower and actually doing nothing i need over 7. I'm not really finding any of the new features particularly useful though, it's basically a smoother, easier to use version of Vista with an alternative GUI slapped on.

Its stable because its the same OS, I bet it even uses the same drivers. But they did a good job in making it more light, I guess that's what people wanted.

can anyone confirm that they have itunes running on windows 7

Yeah, working fine for me. :)

cool cheers...having trouble with the download now...wont access usb drive saying its not accessible or doesn't have enough space when it does...any ideas? can't find a way to change the location so can download straight to hard drive.

Done a clean install with this, and it's great.

This has got to be the best looking OS ever. And it's definetely faster than Vista (although that might be because of fresh install).

Currently installing this via Virtual PC... Think the given resources need tweaked a bit! Its taking a while to install.

Its worth the wait for the simple fact - I can give it a go and see what its like without anything having to be installed on my computer :smile:

cool cheers...having trouble with the download now...wont access usb drive saying its not accessible or doesn't have enough space when it does...any ideas? can't find a way to change the location so can download straight to hard drive.

You're trying to download straight to the USB?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/3/3/633118BD-6C3D-45A4-B985-F0FDFFE1B021/EN/7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULXFRE_EN_DVD.ISO

Try that link :) Getting it through the W7 site is a pain in the arse, you have to use IE and a special download manager plug-in.