N-Europe

The State of Play on Wii

Zechs Merquise

We're coming up to Christmas, the time when usually a release schedule will be packed with AAA titles all battling for space under the tree. Yet us Wii owners are in a funny position, we're part of the largest group of gamers as the Wii holds over 50% of the current market (Wii sales: 40m, XBOX360: 25m PS3: 14m) yet at the same time we're in for the leanest festive season.

What's more Nintendo, a company that seems to have the best ideas and definetely the most innovative titles on the market seems to be cutting vital modes from their products so they fall short of what they could really achieve.

Whilst 360 and PS3 owners will be enjoying well developed and much hyped games such as Farcry 2, Deadspace, Resistance 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2 and numerous others this Christmas we'll be left with Animal Crossing - essentially a graphically enhanced version of a Gamecube game (which in turn was an enhanced version of an N64 game) with an online mode (which will no doubt be behind the times).

But it's not all bad news... Nintendo has just announced the Play on Wii series of Gamecube games. In my eyes these have great potential, and in fact I have just written a length post over on the Play on Wii thread:

My Top Five GC to Wii games and how I'd revamp them... (these are all first party or second party developed first party titles). In reverse order as a countdown...

5) Pikmin, sadly I never played this, I don't know why I just never got around to it. Strange as I love RTS games. But imagine this with proper RTS controls that can be perfectly donw with the Wii-mote! Wow. This is a must buy.

4) Battalion Wars, I love this game. Totally loved it. Infact I played it so much and got S ranks on eery single level. How about an online mode, coupled with the improved point and click controls of it's Wii brother. A sure fire hit!

3) Mario Kart Double Dash, a superb and greatly underappreciated racer. Probably the black sheep of the Mario Kart home console family and certainly the one I played the least out of the four... However this was because I no longer was at school or Uni and had limited chance to play multi-player. However imagine this, with the two in the Kart system if it had been online? Superb is what it would have been. I say re-release with a full online mode, keep the option of the pad in there there though - I'm not a fan of the wheel!

2) F-ZERO GX. I don't really need to say much more. It's actually so hard it's one of the few games I struggled to complete and I don't think I actually got everything on it. But it was beautiful and so fast. Just imagine it with online... as I never once played this with a friend :( This would give a pure racing game to balance out the blue shell based irriatations of Mario Kart. A real must have for the 'hardcore gamer' and a massive pull for everyone who loves the time trial and the pure thrill of speed! Give us pad controls on this one too though!

1) Metroid Prime. For me the game of the last generation. Beautiful, deep and enagaging single player, and with the perfect FPS controls of Prime 3 and MOHH2 a sure fire winner. But why not throw in an online mode too... Metroid Prime Hunters Wii edition? This would be an answer to Halo and a sure fire winner. With the Wii having the best next gen control schemesfor FPS games why not give us a landmark game to go online with, full of leaderboards and stats like Mario Kart and built on a franchise we all love. I would KILL to play this!

Anyway, that's my run down, however in all likelihood we'll be getting a bunch of GC games with Wii controls and that's that. But if Nintendo actually put a bit of effort into these titles and made them online so we could all experience them with our friends too, I think it would be a dream for the fans and new gamers alike.

But as I have concluded - it's unlikely to be anymore than new controls. Sad, especially when there is so much potential in these gems (which were left undiscovered last generation to many gamers who are now reconnecting with Nintendo).

But I find it strange, especially for company that pioneered connectivity, firstly with the NES modem and then more famously with the SNES satellaview system. Later the DS came and we saw the excellent Metroid Prime Hunters which had a great online mode that was equiped with voice chat and stat tracking. But Metroid Prime 3 was solely single player - what a waste of a gorgeous and engaging game that had a killer engine and played like a dream!

Worse still Nintendo have showed how right they can get online on the Wii - Mario Kart Wii is a success, with a brilliant online system of relative scoring and great challenges and stats.

Now I know most people arem expecting this to turn into a thread where graphics will be discussesd, but as we all know after playing Mario Galaxy and many other Wii titles - the Wii can pull off some great great graphics.

I know this thread will recieve some frosty comebacks from others who will list games that they feel will easily compete with anything on the other systems. But I feel Nintendo have actually started (with the Wii not the DS) to back away from the innovative new world of gaming and started to just sit back and count the money.

What a world of potential, both for Nintendo and for the gamers - yet instead a lean Christmas followed by some Gamecube re-hashes. Sad from a company we all know could do a lot better...

Remember how bent out of shape everyone used to get when a PS2 port was released on the Wii? Nintendo is effectively doing the same thing here. There is something fundamentally wrong with releasing the previous generation titles on the current generation platform at retail. Ive always thought this was a bad idea and still do. In my admittedly unprofessional opinion, the Wii is already oversaturated with games from the last generation.

Also, i fully agree with your last statement. Nintendo can do ALOT better. I cant stress the word ALOT enough really.

Remember how bent out of shape everyone used to get when a PS2 port was released on the Wii? Nintendo is effectively doing the same thing here. There is something fundamentally wrong with releasing the previous generation titles on the current generation platform at retail. Ive always thought this was a bad idea and still do. In my admittedly unprofessional opinion, the Wii is already oversaturated with games from the last generation.
Nobody really moaned when a bad PS2 title was ported. You can't say these titles are bad games. And we're getting widescreen and waggle to boot, while the games don't cost full retail price. You're right to some extent, but this stuff is gold. Some games were simply meant to have this, just look at Pikmin.
Also, i fully agree with your last statement. Nintendo can do ALOT better. I cant stress the word ALOT enough really.
Nintendo gave us Zelda, Metroid, Mario and SSB over the last two years, all four arguably contenders for best game in the series (although TP is highly debatable). There's only so much Nintendo can do, really.

Nintendo can do ALOT better. I cant stress the word ALOT enough really.

I think 3rd parties need to.

The big Japanese developers have made vast amounts of cash from Wii and yet they aren't offering their traditional updates for Wii gamers. The crux of this seems to be that they are willing to take a gamble developing a new franchise for Wii or releasing a port/remake (and seeing 'solid' returns) and then wont release their traditional titles on the console. (Usually saying their titles never performed well enough or Wii won't house them as it skews to x or y age groups.)

Konami - Eledees/Dewy's Adventure/Deca Sports (albeit publisher for Deca)

Yet all we've seen is PES09 and DDR. Heck, even their Castlevania title is a slight cop out.

NAMCO We Ski/final furlong/Namco Museum Remix. Remakes such as Kolonoa ongoing. And (phew!) new Tales titles and Fragile coming.

SquareEnix - 1 Wiiware title. The promise of FF:CC - Which is a joke.

Capcom - Resi Spin offs/remakes ala Okami/Dead Rising/Original Content: Zack&Wiki. Where's the NEW! Exciting Capcom projects ala SF4/Bionic Commando? (Which would suit Wii brilliantly!) Only Monster Hunter brings a glimmer of hope.

SEGA - Sonic spin offs and remakes. SEGA seem to be a perfect fit as Wii developers and do offer a lot of content yet why can't we see something like Yakuza on Wii? Heck, the PS2 gets it!

It's bizarre really. Anyone think I have a valid point? That's obvioulsy just a handful of Japanese devs but I think Nintendo have done a lot of work on Wii. Easily more than on the N64 and GC. It's just that the output from 3rd parties and (arguably) 2nd parties has somewhat hit a stalling point.

Maybe they are all hard at work on Motion Plus?

I couldn't agree more!

It's bizarre really. Anyone think I have a valid point? That's obvioulsy just a handful of Japanese devs but I think Nintendo have done a lot of work on Wii. Easily more than on the N64 and GC. It's just that the output from 3rd parties and (arguably) 2nd parties has somewhat hit a stalling point.

Maybe they are all hard at work on Motion Plus?

Well I disagree!

I remember back in the day, on the N64 it seemed every Nintendo game was jam packed with a great single player quest, a great set of S ranks or achievements to keep you trying after you'd finisihed the main quest, then a 4 player split screen multiplayer option which was state of the art at the time.

However, since Online had become the standard they seem to have become lost. You still get the single player games, but the multiplayer and the added features are lacking by today's standard.

The Whole GC games on Wii saga could be a golden new dawn for those games, but it's likely to just be cheap ports. How disappointing.

With franchises like Metroid Prime there's no excuse for a lack of online. It's even games like Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow training, both great games - very polished single player, but where's the option to send your high scores to your friends or online leaderboards?

We've moved into a different era, and Nintendo don't seem to want to polish their games and give the complete package they were once so well known for.

However, since Online had become the standard they seem to have become lost. You still get the single player games, but the multiplayer and the added features are lacking by today's standard.

The multiplayer modes are stillas astounding as ever. Wii Sports multiplayer is unbeatable. Links crossbow training is great with friends too. Mario Kart is brilliant. Smash Bros is great. Wii Play has moments of fun with family members. Wii Fit is even fun with friends. So is Galaxy...

And the polish is great in those titles. Sure they aren't 1080p and the Wii is incapable of graphics ala PS3/360 but to say 1st party Nintendo titles lack polish is, in my opinion untrue. The menu design is always slick, there are no graphical errors (like tearing or pop up) and the controls are always pitched perfectly.

I DO think that titles like Big Brain Academy, Wii Fit, Wii Sports and Wii Play are a lot shallower than previous titles we're acustomed to. However these titles are aiming for a new audience. An audience with less time to sink into a 4hr gaming session. The menus are purpously bare-bones (or easy to navigate or spelled out) and I do agree that this gives off an air of lack of a lack of polish. I just think it's the fact that Nintendo are aiming for a broader market and some of their titles are reflecting this.

I personally found Smash Bros and Mario Kart to be harder than previous editions (and even Galaxy!) and although you argue that online play is a standard now. I think that, certainly with traditional gamers this could be the case. But with new gamers coming into the fold being connected online as you play is quite a daunting prospect. Furthermore, I like the fact that I can compare my scores/times etc with players online but there are times when I just want to game alone all of the time and let my game be wholly original and not infected by my friends competitive scores.

I guess it's all about gaming preference.

We've moved into a different era, and Nintendo don't seem to want to polish their games and give the complete package they were once so well known for.

I think this speaks volumes about what you want. Yes I think we have moved into a different era. Gaming is more mainstream and new gamers are coming to this generation thanks to Wii. Perhaps it is you who has moved into a different era. One in which you always want to be connected online and deem all titles to have the highest level of polish. (Which has historically been mainly judged by graphics alone.)

One console cannot ever offer us everything we want. It's too much of a business world.

They still make awesome games no? The Wii simply isn't a 360. I don't miss it.
The Whole GC games on Wii saga could be a golden new dawn for those games, but it's likely to just be cheap ports. How disappointing.
Now there's an unfounded assumption if there ever was one.

well, i'll say from the start, the wii has had some great games. as far as nintendo go, they really have realeased alot of good games.

the big 3 that is zelda, mario and metroid have all had updates for the wii, and the secondry titles like amrio kart and smash bros have also been updated. you cant really say nintendo isn't looking after the core gamers.

what does make me sad is that there are no really appealing games for the wii this xmas. im going for disaster day of crisis, i hope it's as good as it looks but having an on rails shooter be the main hope for nintendo at such a time is sad. thank god i have a ps3, as a christmas without good games is no christmas at all.

nintendo will hopefully show off a few more games next year, but please myamoto, not anouther wii music!

I'm actually glad there isn't much coming out this holiday. I don't think I could afford 10 AAA games this year. Though, I will be able to next year.

As for Play on Wii. Most of the titles were ones that I never got around to buying last gen. And there are a lot of people who didn't own a cube but now own a Wii, why not give them a chance now to play some of these titles.

Lets look at all the stuff coming out for Wii in the next few quarters:

Animal Crossing

Disaster (Its not out in north america yet)

The Conduit

Mad World

Mushroom Men

Dawn of the New World

Sin And Punishment 2

Punch Out

Wii Sports Resort

And we know the following are in development:

Zelda Wii

Some game from the Mario Team

Pikmen 3

I think what happened is all Nintendo's AAA teams finished their projects around the same time and so all the AAA games came out last year or early this year, and so we're not getting any AAA games this holiday. But we are getting what looks like they will be AAA games next year. And since different games take different amounts of time to develop, we're probably going to see the next set of AAA games come out at different times.

This xmas is disappointing I'll agree; Animal Crossing infuriates me every time I see the two words right next to each other (individually I'm fine with the words); Disaster looks great but not spectacular and Wii Music, actually, as an interesting product, it's overtaken LittleBigPlanet for me, but will it be an amazing piece of software for me (and us?)? Probably not.....so, there's no biggie; just a batch of really good titles - and although the other machines have (supposedly) better software, I'm getting so fucking jaded by it all. I KNOW Gears 2 will be amazing, Fallout 3 will have amazing depth, FarCry is technically stunning, but they couldn't make me feel less empty if someone carved me out like a pumpkin; I'll get them, I'll love them; but I KNOW for a fact that Wii Music, Mirrors Edge, LittleBigPlanet, even Disaster will have a stronger impression on me.....all these photorealistic games, they just look so fucking boring and just like each other; I've lost so much interest in that stuff!

Fact is, I am still buying more Wii games than I am the other 2 consoles put together; will they be "better" games, probably not, but they'll still be great, Shaun White Wii appeals to me more than Shaun White next gen, Skate It appeals to me more than Skate 2, Guitar Hero WT will be great whatever console you buy it for. The Wii is short of an explosion this xmas but it's got some great stuff.

And let me end on saying 4 number - 2009

I think it's been a strange year with the really big titles such as Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit and Smash Brawl being released in spring/summer. So although the Nintendo fall line-up is a bit lacklustre (especially compared to MS and Sony) 2008 ha been quite good. Third party support on the other hand...

It's funny really, being a big Nintendo fan, I bought a 360 to tide me over until the Wii came out as the Gamecube was practically dead and now I barely touch the Wii. Not been on it for 2 months and that was only to finish collecting all stars on Mario Galaxy.

Don't get me wrong, there's been some cracking games on Wii like Mario and Zelda (which is essentially a cube game) but that's always the case for any Nintendo console.

Games I have really enjoyed on Wii:

Mario Galaxy

Red Steel

Zelda (made for cube)

Super Paper Mario (made for cube)

Okami (PS2 port)

Zack and Wiki (one of maybe one or two really innovative games)

The rest are just shitty party games (yes, I include Wii Sports in that) and games I've played before with a control upgrade (like Metroid Prime 3)

The Wii has been a huge disappointment for me. I much prefer my 360. Maybe that will change when Motionplus comes out, but who knows?

But I'll be keeping my little white box - there's bound to be something good coming out eventually.

The rest are just shitty party games (yes, I include Wii Sports in that) and games I've played before with a control upgrade (like Metroid Prime 3)

So much shit you speak! Can you please tell me when you have played Mwetroid Prime 3 before please.... And if you say it's just like Metroid Prime, firstly, you are COMPLETELY wrong, and secondly, the 360's biggest gripe is the fact it's the same old bullshit in HD! Truly, truly baffling statement from yourself.

The rest is fine, prefer the 360? Awesome. But to say that is just.....

So are you saying all these games are crap - Smash, Mario Kart, De Blob, Boom Blox, Wario Land, Pro Evo, Tigr Woods, Olympics etc.?

So much shit you speak! Can you please tell me when you have played Mwetroid Prime 3 before please.... And if you say it's just like Metroid Prime, firstly, you are COMPLETELY wrong, and secondly, the 360's biggest gripe is the fact it's the same old bullshit in HD! Truly, truly baffling statement from yourself.
Excellent observation. MP3 really did something new, but you can hardly say anything like that about Halo 3. Not to say that the power of the new consoles doesn't do anything to improve gameplay, but it's all rather marginal.

Don't you dare speak like that about MP3 anyway.

I think the prospect of a £99 x360 is the most interesting thing and . The 360back catelogue is more interesting than nintendos frontcatelogue right now.

nintendosmendo

For once, you might have a point. A £99 360 - feasible for next Xmas - could be an incredibly powerful force. I agree that it also has a better back catalogue but Microsoft are crap at getting this point across whereas Nintendo are mastering the art of selling games for the long term.

Considering the internal hardware revisions MS is planning to make, I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole 360 redesign next year.

But back on-topic:

I have a feeling MP1 and MP2 might get quite a big revamp. The control mechanics of MP3 can't just be ported over.

I'm pleased my feelings on this have generated a little debate! I didn't write this post to start a flaming session or as a troll. As most people know (who have read my thrads anyway) I've been playing Nintendo games for 20 years and I love Nintendo.

I never mentioned the graphics issue because it's something that has been and gone. It's not an issue because it can't be changed. What's more we've seen some lovely looking games on the Wii.

However to see Nintendo still refusing to go into online gaming with their titles when it is now the standard for multiplayer, and what's more to see them doing with the Play on Wii titles just what we've all been so mad with so many other developers for is sad.

Although the play on Wii titles haven't been finalised and we don't know what is in them it is probably too early to start being annoyed, but if they are cheap cash ins with exactly the same features we saw when they were released last generation just with added motion controls then it will be a sad state of affairs.

I also agree partially agree with people who say the 360 is just last gen's gams in HD. But I do think the increase horsepower has given some improvements in gameplay. However many 360 games offer a great single plyer game and a great online mode to keep the game fresh - which is innovative and adds to the package.

I agree with DCK about MP3 - I loved that game and it was a joy to play, but just imagine it with online death matches, capture the flag and team games. What makes it even worse is the DS had Hunters.