NEurope
Happenstance

Left Brain Vs Right Brain Test

Dude, considering I myself pretty much shouted out loud that I was wrong, that's pretty necessary. :heh:
Sorry, thread growth and open browsers, you know :heh:

Well at first she was going right and then after awhile of looking at her legs she turns anti-clockwise.

So I use my right-side the most but if I concentrate long enough my left brain takes over.

Ok this must be a trick because it took me 2 minutes until she starts turning anti-clockwise and then after awhile she turns back to clockwise?!?

I think most of you have sussed that this is an optical illusion and how it works - your brain interprets the 2D animation as 3D, but there are two possible (equally valid) ways to interpret it. It's like a more complex version of a Necker cube:

400px-Necker_cube.svg.png

You've probably seen this one before, but there are two ways of interpreting the image, both of which are cubes from different perspectives. In the case of the dancer, the movement makes things more complicated, but you can interpret (say) the leg moving left to right as either in the foreground or background, with the opposite interpretation for the leg moving right to left. For instance, if we take this latter leg to be in the foreground, we see the dancer rotating clockwise, but if you take it to be in the background the rotation appears anti-clockwise. It can be difficult to switch from one interpretation to the other or even believe that the other interpretation exists; this is because your brain does the analysis automatically, and sticks with the first interpretation unless you can convince it to change. Personally I saw the movement as clockwise initially, but managed to see it the other way with a fair bit of squinting and so on. Anyway, it's definitely not a trick gif - it's just a very good illusion.

But as for the left brain/right brain thing, this is total bollocks. The dichotomy is a false one, but nevertheless has somehow managed to infect pop psychology so people keep spouting nonsense about it. The brain is by no means symmetrical, and the two hemispheres have slightly different function, but processing isn't nearly as isolated as people would lead you to believe - indeed, the hemispheres are linked by tissue known as the corpus callosum, and lots of interaction goes on. For instance, a lot of language processing (like grammatical analysis) goes on in the left side of the brain, whereas some other parts occur in the right side, like intonation, but these are generalisations (mostly) resulting from studies of brain damaged people, and it's not as simple as a division of labour - indeed, some things are controlled by both sides at once. (Incidentally, a minority of people, mostly left handed, are the other way round. And another somewhat unrelated point - it has been shown that in very young individuals with damage to a particular hemisphere, the functions can develop in the other hemisphere just as well.) There's not really such a thing as being "left brained" or "right brained" - people use both hemispheres all the time, and if you couldn't, you'd have serious problems. Sure, you might be better at some things than other things, but we aren't yet able to explain this in terms of brain usage, and trying to do so is just pseudoscience. (however, all evidence so far suggests such an explanation would be extremely complex)

Let's look at the proposed characters that they ascribe to the left and right sides of the brain:

Left: Uses logic, detail oriented, facts rule, words and language, present and past, maths and science, can comprehend, knowing, acknowledges, order/pattern perception, knows object name, reality based, forms, strategies, practical, safe.

Right: Uses feeling, "big picture" oriented, imagination rules, symbols and images, present and future, philosophy & religion, can "get it" (i.e. meaning), believes, appreciates, spatial perception, knows object function, fantasy based, presents possibilities, impetuous, risk taking.

There's no way this hypothesis is even broadly true, and to show how absurd it is, I've had a guess bolded all the properties I think apply to me - hmm, doesn't look like there's any kind of pattern there. :heh: Additionally, I can't see any reason why the dancer test should bear any relation to all this.

(I'm aware that in some cases I've bolded both, when you're supposed to have one or t'other. That's because I think these dichotomies are silly too.)

tl;dr: The gif isn't a joke, it's an optical illusion. It has nothing to do with left/right brain though - indeed, this whole concept is rubbish.

Edit: There are probably some errors in the above as I'm exhausted, but meh. The general point holds.

Clockwise only for me....

And is that a nipple I spy on the figure...

Right. Hurray!

She goes both ways damnit!

I like them like that.

Right. Hurray!

I like them like that.

Haha, don't we all! Unless it's your girlfriend, for some reason it then becomes weird. But i digress.

I see it going right.

But to the fools who don't believe she's going both ways, here, have this:

1199071453267ro6.gif

Believe it now?

I got her to go anti clockwise for a couple of seconds but its clockwise for me.

Ha looking at shinos pics I can see both, i couldnt see anti-clockwise for ages

when i look at the blue one both go anti when i look at the red both go clockwise.

I see it going right.

1199071453267ro6.gif

Believe it now?

Wow, could only see clockwise before, now I can see both and easily switch between, so weird.... what does that mean?

She's pretty hot for a silhouette :blank:

I see it going right.

1199071453267ro6.gif

Believe it now?

I can see here going different ways with those (only the directions listed) but on the original I still can't switch.

If I look at only one of them, the other one will follow the same direction though.

My God, that is freaking me out! When focusing on one of them, the other one goes the same way, but if I focus equally on both of them (or focus less, I'm not so sure ...), I can make them go opposite ways.

Don't worry guys, the harder it is to switch, the more developed your brain is

Needless to say i took few time to switch them

I got her to go anti clockwise for a couple of seconds but its clockwise for me.

Ha looking at shinos pics I can see both, i couldnt see anti-clockwise for ages

when i look at the blue one both go anti when i look at the red both go clockwise.

Chuck!! What the hell man. Just because me and Shino are both portuguese doesn't mean we're the same person!!

Don't worry guys, the harder it is to switch, the more developed your brain is

Needless to say i took few time to switch them

That's more made up pseudoscience.

Chuck!! What the hell man. Just because me and Shino are both portuguese doesn't mean we're the same person!!

Quiet Shino. [noparse]:p[/noparse]

Or are we? Someone check our IPs, its the only way to be sure.

I did mention that gif first.

Quiet Shino. [noparse]:p[/noparse]

Now you've done it... You're going down. Today, after school, in front of the school gate.

5 lives!

No items!

Fox only!

Final destination!

Now you've done it... You're going down. Today, after school, in front of the school gate.

5 lives!

No items!

Fox only!

Final destination!

I'll hold you to that when I'm back in my parents' house over Christmas, where my Wii resides. :wink:

I kept seeing it clockwise on the original with the now and again occurrence of anti-clockwise. Even looking at the above it is hard to see it going in different directions, but not as hard as before.

Clockwise only for me....

And is that a nipple I spy on the figure...

Mate, I spied them since the first page, so glad someone else finally mentioned them! I didn't want to seem like some sort of silohette pervert...

I see it going right.

1199071453267ro6.gif

Believe it now?

Ahh, genius post Shino(jokes), but that gif's perfect for people who refuse to believe either. I can't quite bring myself to imagine each of those seperately though, can anyone else do it? Like, if I look at the clockwise one I see BOTH go clockwise, then when it shifts cos I look at the anti, BOTH shift. I love the brain, it's so silly sometimes.

Me and Eeenoo were looking at the skater in the first post and really couldn't see how it could go anti-clockwise, too. Then, suddenly, it just seemed to work. Then, it got stuck at anti-clockwise for me, until a few moments later when it went back. Now, I can control it at will.

Tru Factz!

I don't think the left side my brain works, I can still only see clockwise even with the coloured leg pics.