NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Wesley

Dirty in Photoshop

Hey there, I was looking for some help in getting a dirty effect in Photoshop. I've attached one of the frames.

So it's nice and clean, lovely stuff. I would, however, like some snazzy dirt effects going on. No random effects for the layers as a whole though, that's nasty. For instance, I was looking to create channels for one of the layers with effects and then blend them? I add a question mark because that's what my super-fancy-smarty-pants-lecturer told me to do. But I was wonding if I could get a lil' more help from you guys.

Cheers!

P.S. Dirty like this stuff: http://www.raoulsinier.com/artwork/index.html

I can't paint.

This needs to be computer based on account of time and ease.

its much faster and easyer my way (plus also better result)

print it, with low fill, trace the lines and fill in the colours, scan, adjust levels/curves/...

you can even ad your original layer to the foreground, and set transparancy

Thanks for the help, but, again; it's not easier or faster to buy a printer (or credits to print at Uni) and print 109 frames, then to trace the lines and fill in with colours, scan in 109 frames and adjust levels/curves of 109 image files.

Thank you though. If I were more skilled and had more time I would try that. In fact, I may try that next time. Sounds fun.

Dude, it is you. I've been meaning to ask if it's you, like when we speak on the bus, but there's a few Wes's in our group, I didn't want to embarass myself if you said no if I asked if you were the one on here.

Anyway you could try a clouds/difference clouds filter and mess around with the blending options? I dunno...

Open the effects window, go to the texture overlay tab, switch to the "artist surfaces" textures and select the one called granite. Bring the opacity down to 30 or so.

Open the effects window, go to the texture overlay tab, switch to the "artist surfaces" textures and select the one called granite. Bring the opacity down to 30 or so.

That, or you can google a texture image and paste it as a new layer, then play around with the transparency and fill effects. There are also brushes you can download but they're a lot more work.

Dude, it is you. I've been meaning to ask if it's you, like when we speak on the bus, but there's a few Wes's in our group, I didn't want to embarass myself if you said no if I asked if you were the one on here.

Anyway you could try a clouds/difference clouds filter and mess around with the blending options? I dunno...

I just saw the picture of you in the thread Letty made! Hello fellow forumite. Sorry for not saying hi yesterday, I had my glasses off so... I didn't actually no it was you. !

Cheers for the help guys I'll try this tonight.

That would of most likely been done with a dirt layer with it's blending changed to 'overlay' above the base texture. You would then lower the opacity or fill on that layer, and use the rubber tool with a splattered brush maybe to brush out parts of that layer while changing the opacity for the rubber tool to get the right result. The splattered brush is just an example, obviously choose a brush for the rubber that fits with what you're trying to achieve with the dirt.

It's the way I would tackle it personally, and I use if very often with textures for 3d objects, e.g. dirty brickwork. This method is used in both textures and when creating 2d concept art like you posted.

Your lecturer was probably telling you to use masks which affect the layer it's applied to. Apparently this is a slightly better way to deal with it, but I've become accustomed to adding the layer above and changing to 'overlay' like I said.

Give it ago and post the results up, although the contents of your image that you want to edit look kind of small pixel wise for the framing.....blah blah. Try and make the glasses a lot bigger or something for when you post the next image up.

Sign in to follow this