NEurope

check the club nintendo site

game and watch gallery ds is out for 5000 points :)

Thanks Yesteryeargames!! :santa:

Seeing that out of my 5100 stars, I have almost 2500 expiring at the end of this month (and you can't really buy anything decent for 2500 stars and it'll take a while to buid them up again), I decided to get the DS game!

I now have a grand total of... 100 stars! :grin:

Edited by Retro_Link

Right, so...seeing as it's Christmas - I'm going to properly enjoy my games.

I've made myself a hot cuppa tea. I've put the fire on. Ine has buggered off to bed, and now I'm going to sit down, with my tea, with the fire and play some Super Mario Galaxy.

During the week, I'm going to play through Twilight Princess again. It's my Christmas game. :)

Enjoy it FLiNk :)

I've just got me a job, so i've lost alot of time i could spend playing the Wii :( However now that i'm working i reckon i won't feel so guilty spending my free time on it :yay:i might end up actually playing more now.

I've got this weekend off, so i'm hoping to get a decent sesh in on Sunday. I'm thinking a bit of Galaxy, Little King's Story, Punchout and maybe a do with the challenges on The Shake Dimension. I'm also part way through Majora's Mask, but i like to play through Zelda games hours at a time so i think i'll save that for Tuesday (which i've also got off) :D

I just need to resist the urge to play Smash Bros and give the other games some attention :grin:

Enjoy it FLiNk :)

I've just got me a job, so i've lost alot of time i could spend playing the Wii :( However now that i'm working i reckon i won't feel so guilty spending my free time on it :yay:i might end up actually playing more now.

I've got this weekend off, so i'm hoping to get a decent sesh in on Sunday. I'm thinking a bit of Galaxy, Little King's Story, Punchout and maybe a do with the challenges on The Shake Dimension. I'm also part way through Majora's Mask, but i like to play through Zelda games hours at a time so i think i'll save that for Tuesday (which i've also got off) :D

I just need to resist the urge to play Smash Bros and give the other games some attention :grin:

Thank you, Mon Frere.

Work or Uni does mean that time is lost with games. The thing is, when I have spare time, I feel guilty about playing games because I probably should be doing something else, heh. So, I've not played anywhere near as much as I should be playing. I also feel bad when I buy games now, because of my current job situation, too. I've got money coming in, but it's in drips and drabs, so I'm just saving it all up.

If somebody gave me 300+ quid, and asked me to go buy some games, my Wii collection would be doubled probably. Punchout!!, Grand Slam Tennis, Little King's Story, Muramasa and New Super Mario Bros are all so high on my list.

I've got a £1100 overdraft to be getting rid off :( but i've got a job for 6 months now (covering someones maternity leave) that should see me through to joining the RAF around May/June, so i've decided i'm going to get the games on my wish list seeing as i won't be able to do much gaming in the RAF :(

I've gotta start upping my exercise again after Christmas, so i'll lose a fair bit of Wii time to that. Though i reckon i'll feel even less guilty about gaming in what little free time i have then. I'm currently only doing cardio 3 times a week-ish, but i've got the equipment to do P90x in the new year.. which i'm actually looking forward to starting :p

Yeah, I read. I admit he's kind of got a point, but is there even any point to the article? It just seems another "me too" for the "Nintendo is dead to me" club. :\

Yes He's right about just about everything. new super mario bros is fun but the graphics are smeh but I said that before and I got flamed here. I compared it to rayman for the ps1/jaguar. It's a fun game but it's a goddamn lazy game and I wouln't have given it 10/10 and 9/10 like many sites did

Edited by mcj metroid

I think he's right in the statements he's making about Nintendo, for the most part. But saying the hardcore Nintendo fans don't even care is just incorrect.

I still love Nintendo and their games, but its more in the same way you would still love a family member when they've done something wrong. I do think they might be able to redeem themselves with the 2010 line up though.

I think he's right in the statements he's making about Nintendo, for the most part. But saying the hardcore Nintendo fans don't even care is just incorrect.

I still love Nintendo and their games, but its more in the same way you would still love a family member when they've done something wrong. I do think they might be able to redeem themselves with the 2010 line up though.

We do care but a lot of us make excuses for the company which can kinda get annoying at times.

And these games sell like madness regardless. New super mario bros wii will sell way more than super mario galaxy. Doesn't that kinda show you that people don't care?

New super mario bros wii will sell way more than super mario galaxy. Doesn't that kinda show you that people don't care?

Maybe but I would argue that it also shows a few other things:

Nostalgia sells.

2D is infinitely more accessible than 3D.

Super Mario Galaxy was set in bizarre, space situations - Mario in 2D is more down to earth (literally) and thus appears instantly understandable.

In comparison to SMG, NSMB has a simpler control scheme.

Born again gamers may want a game that they can pick up and instantly understand.

Just because a 2D Mario outing sells more than Mario in 3D it doesn't mean people don't care - it just means that Wii offers multiple options for many different gamers. Arguably, both titles are for the long-standing (perhaps hardcore) Nintendo audience.

Another viewpoint could be that the PS3 and 360 would have a healthier library if it could offer a new 2D platformer with as much character and nostalgia as NSMB offers.

Edited by tapedeck

Maybe but I would argue that it also shows a few other things:

Nostalgia sells.

2D is infinitely more accessible than 3D.

Super Mario Galaxy was set in bizarre, space situations - Mario in 2D is more down to earth (literally) and thus appears instantly understandable.

In comparison to SMG, NSMB has a simpler control scheme.

Born again gamers may want a game that they can pick up and instantly understand.

Just because a 2D Mario outing sells more than Mario in 3D it doesn't mean people don't care - it just means that Wii offers multiple options for many different gamers. Arguably, both titles are for the long-standing (perhaps hardcore) Nintendo audience.

Another viewpoint could be that the PS3 and 360 would have a healthier library if it could offer a new 2D platformer with as much character and nostalgia as NSMB offers.

That's pretty much it. It's a 2D Mario on a home console. Who in their right minds wouldn't want that? To be honest, we're blessed. 2 Mario games, one 2D, one 3D, both rated very highly by critics and gamers alike.

Yeah, Nintendo probably could have replaced the second duplicate character with another character. I don't know the "plot" of New Super Mario Bros Wii because I haven't got it yet, but isn't Mario once again rescuing Peach from the castle? If that's the case...I don't think it would have made much sense for Nintendo to include Peach as the fourth playable character. She's the one being saved, not the one saving the one who needs to be saved. But, it's not even an important aspect. It's a desireable. In that respect, I think Nintendo should be paying more attention to these finer aspects of their games, but that is down to the insanely high pedestal that we all place them on. We expect very highly for them. They're not always going to get it right. There are a million different times or occassions where I've played a Nintendo game and thought "aww wow, that's sweet" when looking at one particular detail or aspect.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I just think it's an odd time to post this article, really. If it was after E3 2008 I could easily understand, but 2010 is looking to undoubtedly Wii's best year yet. To say Nintendo are lazy in the days leading up to the year where we'll get SMG2, Metroid: Other M (which does not look cheap by any means), and potentially a new Zelda, just to name a few seems weird.

Personally speaking, I would have put the blame more on third parties. Although the situation is getting better, it's still not good. Which ironically means Nintendo can be to blamed for this too. I'm sure a little help with marketing would go a long way in assisting 3rd party efforts on Wii.

Personally speaking, I would have put the blame more on third parties. Although the situation is getting better, it's still not good. Which ironically means Nintendo can be to blamed for this too. I'm sure a little help with marketing would go a long way in assisting 3rd party efforts on Wii.

Most companies are to blame(Including Nintendo), Nintendo did nothing expecting the 3rd parties to start making awesome games like they did for the PS2 and PS1, didn't happen...they gave them a huge gap to fill in with games (You know how most 3rd parties always complained about how they have to keep competing with Nintendo) and this time they did nothing.

I think Nintendo have now said 'fuck it' and now are just making the games that everyone knows and loves now. I am sure some 3rd party games will go onto Wii, seems like Iwata really wants to try push some of them as popular games other then japan thinking of it (Namely Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter)

But thats what I think anyway, bring on 2010 :D

Most companies are to blame(Including Nintendo), Nintendo did nothing expecting the 3rd parties to start making awesome games like they did for the PS2 and PS1, didn't happen...they gave them a huge gap to fill in with games (You know how most 3rd parties always complained about how they have to keep competing with Nintendo) and this time they did nothing.

I think Nintendo have now said 'fuck it' and now are just making the games that everyone knows and loves now. I am sure some 3rd party games will go onto Wii, seems like Iwata really wants to try push some of them as popular games other then japan thinking of it (Namely Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter)

Good Point. I'd say Nintendo is still learning though - they're beginning to help other third parties (They assisted HVS a bit with The Conduit). Just like Iwata said, software is to blame for low system sales - he acknowledges that there is a problem with a lack of games. How Nintendo address the issue, however, is what really matters.

That's a hilarious and brilliant way of putting it, Emasher! It's not a bad article and I don't disagree with it, but the time to complain was three years ago. I was furious about Twilight Princess, disappointed at the processing power and sceptical of the controls, but the Wii is what it is, and we might as well just enjoy it.

Also, how's this for arrogance from Matt (from this Zelda preview: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/744/744044p2.html):

Twilight Princess may have started as a GameCube title, but it finished a Wii one. There remains this faction of gamers that refuses to accept the possibility. You know who you are. You continue to argue that because the controls were originally designed for the GameCube pad there is no hope for the Wii build. You say that your arms will get tired using the Wii remote. You speak of mirrored worlds and right-handed Link. And you know what? It's all crap. If you have the means to buy Twilight Princess for Wii and you still get it for GameCube, you are a fool. And I state that without meaning to suggest that the GCN iteration is flawed - it isn't. It's an amazing swan song for Nintendo's older system, so if you've got no other option you're still golden. But that said, it's not as good as the Wii incarnation. In fact, were it up to me and not Nintendo (and in my dreams, it is), I'd have scrapped the GCN build altogether, forcing everyone to exclusively buy the Wii version. Honestly, Nintendo gave you five good years with GameCube; it's time to move on.

Sounds like he was making excuses for them just like he accuses people of doing now!

What game/s would you like to give the NSMB Wii treatment?

Here's seven ideas- number five is clearly the winner. :hehe:

5.) Donkey Kong Country

Why It Belongs: The whole Donkey Kong Country series has always been rather straightforward platforming, and needs a new hook if it were to be reintroduced to today's new crop of gamers. And a 4 player mode would do wonders. Each player can pick a different Kong, whether Diddy, Donkey, Dopey, and Dildo (I forget all their names...) Each player could ride different animals, or race through levels jumping from barrel blast to barrel blast. Collecting bananas could also be done in a fresh way, as the player who collects the most each level can play a mini game of Donkey Kong Konga, and the drums onscreen are replaced with the heads of the other Kongs who lost. It's sort of like Teabagging, but Nintendo style.

Here's seven ideas- number five is clearly the winner. :hehe:

In dk3 at least the graphics look almost better anyway

*hides for cover* :D

DKC would only be wrecked.

Clearly though, the original trilogy characters will return in a platformer one day. By then I'll be claiming a pension and doing my best Cranky Kong impression:

"We only had a pallet of 1million colours, motion control and Friend Codes to keep us safe!...ramble ramble..." (Wait...that's what some wii gamers sound like now!)

DKC would only be wrecked.

Clearly though, the original trilogy characters will return in a platformer one day. By then I'll be claiming a pension and doing my best Cranky Kong impression:

"We only had a pallet of 1million colours, motion control and Friend Codes to keep us safe!...ramble ramble..." (Wait...that's what some wii gamers sound like now!)

Haha, reminds me of the AVGN video where he did his own take on A Christmas Carol!

:santa:

Wonder Boy - No game in particular, just based on Wonder Boy III: the Dragon's Trap and Wonder Boy in Monster World, which are like Zelda II, but better, as the overworld and dungeons are seamlessly integrated. It's like Metroid, but with towns and villages too.

Kid Icarus - I was going to say Metroid, but then I remembered Metroid: Other M, so let's see what that's like. I haven't played Kid Icarus on the NES and I'm not saying it's a good game, but that it could be made into one.

(But yes, here's hoping for a 2D Metroid on Nintendo's next handheld.)

Zelda - I love 3D Zelda and I like the DS games, but one thing they've lost from the SNES/Game Boy days is the feel of the dungeons (and overworld), specifically that feeling that the room takes up one screen and has four doors. For example, maybe you entered via the bottom door, the door on the left is accessible, the top door needs a key and the door to the right is the type that only opens when you have solved a puzzle. You don't get that feel any more.

It's not that I don't like current Zelda, but it'd be nice to have Link to the Past graphics given the turbo treatment, and the overworld could be made to feel the same too, made compact like the old days, with simple things like rocks stopping you from exploring until you get the Power Bracelets. (By the way, I did own Four Swords Adventure and it was great.)

I was looking at the US relaese list for Q1 ( http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=13744 ) and noticed that Sin & Punishment 2 wasn't there. I was hoping we would get that just after Christmas. :(

Monster Hunter 3 looks to be arriving later than I had expected as well but thats a good thing given the amount of games coming out on all the systems in Q1. No other game will get a look in with me once that beauty arrives! :D

Overall its a very good looking list and I hope the EU one is pretty much the same. Oh and shame on Tom for not highlighting Tatsunoko vs. Capcom! :o