NEurope

Next year's still going to be an amazing year for the console though. Its hard to tell what happened for the last year and a half, but if Metroid Other M, Mario Galaxy 2, and Zelda Wii are all as good as most of us are expecting them to be, All is forgiven IMO.

The main reasons its less appealing to buy a Wii if you already own another console are probably these though:

-Lack of AAA games since early 2008

-Lack of multiplatform games

-Games don't look as good

-Very few extra features

-Lack of an online identity. Specially if you own a 360, which is akin to paying a gym subscription.

If you own another console you buy a wii for the nintendo games...

360 and ps3 have nothing like super mario galaxy or even new super mario bros wii. It's nintendo they're in a genre of their own.

-Lack of an online identity. Specially if you own a 360, which is akin to paying a gym subscription.

I knew I missed something. The only thing Nintendo Wifi Connection has going for it is the Virtual Console (Which is easily the best back catalog out of the 3).

If you own another console you buy a wii for the nintendo games...

360 and ps3 have nothing like super mario galaxy or even new super mario bros wii. It's nintendo they're in a genre of their own.

Basically. But there are a few other exclusives that are worth picking up no matter what console you own.

Next year's still going to be an amazing year for the console though. Its hard to tell what happened for the last year and a half, but if Metroid Other M, Mario Galaxy 2, and Zelda Wii are all as good as most of us are expecting them to be, All is forgiven IMO.

The main reasons its less appealing to buy a Wii if you already own another console are probably these though:

-Lack of AAA games since early 2008

-Lack of multiplatform games

-Games don't look as good

-Very few extra features

Huh? How would multiplatform games convince PS3/360 owners to buy a Wii? :wtf:

As for the AAA games remark... If people don't look at the console's library, they'll find nothing. I don't remember people raving about Timesplitters 2 and Tekken 5 being "AAA killer games", but they're my two favourite games on the PS2. The same could be said about Shadow of the Colossus and a number of RPGs on that system (and many others, in fact). And the same can be said about plenty of Wii games.

And the reason I'm comparing it to the PS2 it's because both consoles had/have the same amount of distracting shovelware on their shelves.

Its just one of the things that makes the console less appealing. It by itself doesn't really matter, as yes, you would just be able to buy the game for one of your other consoles. Overall, if all the games that the 360 and PS3 shared were on the Wii, it would look like a much better investment.

We're not exactly talking about people who can make full sense of things like game libraries here, you have to remember. A large percentage of gamers buy games because A) They were marketed well, B) Peer Pressure, C) They look "badass". They're not going to go looking through lists of games that were critically acclaimed. All they can go buy is what games that they've heard of are on the console. If games like Bad Company, and Fallout 3 were on the console, people who played those games, or heard they were good from their friends on another console, would look at the Wii and think, "hey, it has Bad Company and Fallout 3 on it, and tons of other games that the 360/PS3 have, it must be good". Most of them don't know anything about Zelda, or Mario, or Metroid. Most of them would look at a few screenshots, and use words that some may find offensive, to describe them. People who have owned Nintendo consoles in the past, and have played those games will consider those games in choosing to buy the console, but people who don't know anything about them probably aren't going to look at them as something that will sell them the console. The mainstream don't think like You, or I, things that make sense to us don't make sense to them, while their ways don't always make sense to us. Its just how the general public works. And its not going to change.

Hopefully that explains why I chose to include those two points in my list.

My "AAA" response was merely noting the fact that many gamers (including Wii owners) seem to think that the only worthwile games on the console are Super Mario Galaxy, SSBB, Metroid Prime and Twilight Princess. Which is not true at all.

If you meant that the goal is trying to win over the PS3/360 fanbase, then I'll say this:

Yes, the games that Nintendo releases don't sit too well with people who have grown accustomed with bloodier, so-called "mature" games. But I don't think any marketing from Nintendo's part is going to change that (unless they're in charge of distributing games like Madworld and Silent Hill). The gamers you mentioned wouldn't choose Metroid Prime over Halo, for example (as Halo is easier to play, and an actual FPS), unless MP radically changed.

My point is, the AAA games remark doesn't really apply to that audience, as they won't change their mind, regardless of the game's fame and marketing campaign.

LostOverThere is right, I think. Focusing on the side that will actually buy their games is a good move, as that audience has the potential to try other Nintendo games by, say, checking the Nintendo Channel or buying a classic game on the VC and ending up curious about recent releases. Or even simply buying one of these games by finding them in a shelf.

Trying to win over the other fanbase is pretty much a waste of time, even before the Wii came out. The "Nintendo is kiddy" mindset is already ingrained in their minds, and no marketing campaign is going to change that.

Just to reiterate my previous question.

I'm interested in recording video footage from my Wii to my computer. What cable would I need to be able to achieve such a thing? Thanks. :)

You need more than a cable; check google, its easy. Just tyope in record wii gameplay and you'll get loads of results. Here's the first one i found:

http://www.wiitube.com/view_question.php?post_id=549&post_type=2

Its for a 360 but it is the same for the wii. You need to plug your wii into your tv, your tv into a device called "dazzle" then that into your pc.

OR:

If you have a TV tuner card with composit input you can just plug it straight into your pc iirc.

Edited by jonno394

Just to reiterate my previous question.

I'm interested in recording video footage from my Wii to my computer. What cable would I need to be able to achieve such a thing? Thanks. :)

Yeah a capture card like a dazzle or Easycap is one of your options here. As I understand it you need some splitters too so you can share the signal to go from your Wii to your TV and PC at the same time. The reason you have to do this is because there tends to be a bit of lag from whats happening on the Wii, to what you can see on the computer, which is no help when your playing. If you check on youtube their are a ton of videos showing you how to set up.

Another option would be to record your Wii with a DVD recorder.

Okay. I'm 100% going to be a black Wii this weekend. Just a had a browse and there are some amazing deals

Now, I have both of these games. But surely I could sell them for quite a bit of money?!?! http://www.gamestation.co.uk/Consoles/Wii/Black-Wii-Console-with-Wii-Sports-Resort-New-Super-Mario-Bros-and-Super-Smash-Bros/~r418238/

Similar deal, but I don't have Mario Power Tennis. But I don't want it either...what's worth more, smash or tennis? http://www.game.co.uk/Consoles/Wii/Wii-Black-Console-with-Wii-Sports-Resort-New-Super-Mario-Bros-and-Mario-Power-Tennis/~r345010/

Now this is the best deal out of them all. But I've put Mario and Sonic on my xmas list :( And I already have lots of controllers and Wii play...but it's a bargain!!http://www.game.co.uk/Consoles/Wii/Wii-Black-Console-with-Wii-Sports-Resort-Wii-Play-and-Mario-Sonic-at-the-Winter-Olympics/~r344718/

Does anyone know if these are instore as I have about £50 on my game card!!!

I'd say Smash is worth more than Tennis, you can get Tennis online in loads of places for around £12-£15, where as Smash always stays close to full price.

Good GT Bonus Round

Discussing how the Wii, 360, PS3 have done this year.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/311?ch=2&sd=1

Pachter talks some sense.

Yeah for a change. I quite liked that one though, though was annoyed by the usual idiots on gonintendo who comment on it going 'OMG they are 360 fanboys and hate the Wii'. Nintendo had a weak year this year but I think next year we're gonna see them really show of their strength with Mario, Metroid and Zelda, aswell as a decent 3rd party offering with Red Steel 2.

I didnt get that Shane guy being so dismissive of New Super Mario Bros Wii. If you ask me its just the sort of quality Nintendo game people have been asking for.

Pachter was awesome as always

I didnt get that Shane guy being so dismissive of New Super Mario Bros Wii. If you ask me its just the sort of quality Nintendo game people have been asking for.

Pachter was awesome as always

He was perhaps a bit overly dismissive, but it's true that Nintendo could have done SO much more. They have all these franchises that they just aren't using/producing sequel too, let alone ever coming up with new ones!

Pachter yes was awesome.

His Wii HD banter is great! and he even came out with an epic name for it, Wii RegGie!

Shit is that Garnet Lee the one from 1upyours? If so he's really different from what I imagined.

Edit: Certainly sounds like him. And yeah, that Shane dude is a douche.

Edited by Shino

Free Running:

Actually some ok visuals, and hopefully complete freedom to do what you want.

Looks like it has some achievement style missions.

This could have been made into so much more though and been the Wii's Mirror's Edge/Assassins Creed.

I don't see how its that much different from Mirrors edge, apart from the fact that its open world rather than completely linear.

I don't see how its that much different from Mirrors edge, apart from the fact that its open world rather than completely linear.
Well I'm assuming this doesn't have a story, and is more of just a sports game with challenges.

Plus Mirrors Edge had enemies and combat etc... though that wasn't necessarily a positive!

Cammie Dunaway has made a official statement regarding the poor sales of some games on wii and ds:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/12/09/nintendo-gta-chinatown-wars-frustrating-sales-due-to-marketing-or-lack-thereof/

In terms of GTA, the main problem was pirates, I don't think marketing had much to do with it.

Otherwise, Most of the mature games on the Wii haven't been AAA titles, A good number have been rail shooters (And a lot of people don't really like rail shooters), and the others just haven't been all that good compared to similar games on other consoles. If you own a PS3 or 360, there was very little reason to buy The Conduit for instance, because there are better, similar shooters on the other consoles.

Edited by Emasher

Well I'm assuming this doesn't have a story, and is more of just a sports game with challenges.

Plus Mirrors Edge had enemies and combat etc... though that wasn't necessarily a positive!

Well the shooting parts were... questionable... but Mirror's Edge had a decent story and a cracking atmosphere. The ambient music which would suddenly shoot up in tempo at the "chase" part of each level was excellent and the art style was a refreshing take on the urban environments seen in most of today's games.

It looked alright from the trailer, if a little soulless, but I can't see it coming close to ME.

In terms of GTA, the main problem was pirates, I don't think marketing had much to do with it.

Otherwise, Most of the mature games on the Wii haven't been AAA titles, A good number have been rail shooters (And a lot of people don't really like rail shooters), and the others just haven't been all that good compared to similar games on other consoles. If you own a PS3 or 360, there was very little reason to buy The Conduit for instance, because there are better, similar shooters on the other consoles.

I'm not sure if it was down to pirating though. I have to be honest I have only ever seen ads for the psp version of chinatown wars. As much as I hate to say it's just not a game ds audiences generally like.

People who have ds's generally are little kids, mums or annoying teenagers that watch too much anime. Oh ya there are exceptions. I don't see many 360 and ps3 fans with them. NIntendo consoles aren't the right place for gta.