NEurope

Having seemingly provoked a little discussion on Disaster, I've moved onto my next Wii game after clearing Day of Crisis this morning :hehe:

It's another one that I've been wanting to play again for a while and that is Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies!

I've been through Stages 0, 1 and 2 so far and wow.. what a ride :grin: Great fun!

• Thanks 2

S&P2 is SO FUCKING GOOD!

What an absolutely wild ride of a game! Love every moment of it! :D 

If I have any complaint to make about the game as a whole though? It's that it's too long for an arcade style rail shooter.  It's not really feasible to beat it in one sitting without feeling a bit burnt out & exhausted before the end; which does hurt its replayability.  I can't really replay it nearly as much as the first game, purely for that reason.

It's still a fantastic experience though and one of Treasure/Nintendo's very best! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

S&P2 is SO FUCKING GOOD!

If I have any complaint to make about the game as a whole though? It's that it's too long for an arcade style rail shooter.  It's not really feasible to beat it in one sitting without feeling a bit burnt out & exhausted before the end; which does hurt its replayability.  I can't really replay it nearly as much as the first game, purely for that reason.

It's still a fantastic experience though and one of Treasure/Nintendo's very best! :D 

I think I've played a big part of this game, but stopped because I started on too high a difficulty and couldn't get any further. You can't change difficulty on the fly and I wasn't in the mood to start over and do it all again up to the point where I stalled. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

S&P2 is SO FUCKING GOOD!

Yeh.. it almost seems wrong to complain that there's too much of a great game but you're definitely right!

The other problem is that there's a message when you save and quit that tells you your score will reset to zero when you resume. Even though I'm not playing it for the score, I don't like that!

I definitely wanna play the N64 game again, too. Downloaded it on Wii U earlier in the year for convenience but haven't properly played it yet!

• Thanks 1

On 26/06/2020 at 6:40 PM, Helmsly said:

So uh..

In the end I didn't go for that deal initially. However, they're now seeling some left over stock for their black friday sales. Apparently they have some "cosmetic damages". I finally got Shakedown Hawaii (didn't want them both, and this one seemed more fun), and I'll see for myself how bad these cosmetic damages are. Games are 15 dollars, but they don't offer standard shipping for these, and it's a rediculous 19 dollars. This includes pre-paid vat and customs..However I don't have to pay vat and customs for something that's priced 15 dollars, so that stings. But, while not going to be the lastt wii game for me, it's s safe bet this will be the most recently released one, and I'm looking forward to adding it to the collection. And even playing it some day, when I get my CRT TV fixed.

Edited by Sméagol

http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~arthiele/images/pictures/shakedown.png

And again, no idea why it won't embed.

If the "cosmetic damage" is what I think it is, it's so incredibly minor, they didn't have to bother mention it as far as I'm concerned. The paper with the cover art is slightly skewed, that's it. Pretty sure I've bought retail copies in the past with the same "problem".

I bought the Wii version of Retro City Ramage DX when VBlank first announced it in 2020 and was hoping for a PAL version of Shake Down Hawaii for the Wii U but they only released a North American version. I soft modded my Wii ages ago just so that I could play some Japanese games but haven't touched anything on the Wii U. I hesitated and then the Wii U versions were quickly sold out. In the end, I bought the PS4 version even though I don't have a PS4 yet and then months later they announce a Black Friday deal. From what I read on reddit the cosmetic damages were very minor.

• Thanks 1

So I just ran into this tweet:

Looking at the variety in options, I think they ultimately made the right choice.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

salkJYZ.jpg

Someone was having a right laugh when they presented this one to Nintendo I'm sure :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was distraught from the news at the recent Ubisoft event that the latest instalment of Just Dance will not be coming to the Wii but what's more surprising to me is that it didn't arrive on Wii last year either, my avid following of the series the past few years is to blame for me missing this!

It is a shame though - lasting a year longer than the WiiU, the final Wii version of Just Dance just squeezed in before the pandemic. But despite how dead the console is, the Just Dance games still sold a decent amount on the system each year, perhaps due to people hanging on to Just Dance as a yearly tradition to dust off the old Wii and because there's literally no other competition software-wise on the console.

The series hasn't really changed apart from the additional online streaming aspect (which was simply omitted from the last few Wii titles) so it got me to wondering if this was actually the fault of Ubisoft or if it simply wasn't possible any longer, otherwise it seems like an easy buck to keep slapping them on a Wii disc. 

Alas after the endless jokes year on year that Just Dance will be the final Wii game, it seems it was trumped by last years Shakedown Hawaii! Not only that, but a blog post by the developer of that game gave a great insight into likely why Just Dance ended at the arse end of 2019 on the Wii.

R37057bb6d42ea80575e8e054523cd5c4?rik=ca

It seems NOA had already stopped producing Wii discs and NOE finished their last batch in Summer 2020:

While it still feels like yesterday, it's been nearly 14 years since the Wii launched. Although we've still seen some Wii releases over the past few years, seeing one more wasn't a given. Indeed, despite my best efforts, it just wasn't in cards anymore, at least, not for North America. However, as luck would have it, the doors hadn't quite closed yet with Nintendo of Europe, so it was still able see a release! Words truly can't express how appreciative I am, and I can't thank them enough for all the heavy lifting they did on their end to make it a reality. It's meant the world to me, and these Wii discs specifically hold an immense place in my heart.

As incredibly as it all worked out, unfortunately, Wii discs aren't region-free, and I didn't want North American players to be left out. Although I continued talks with NOA, floating around a Plan B, Plan C... Plan Z, sadly, every idea hit a wall. The clock was ticking, and after exhausting all other options, I decided to pivot to the next best thing: the Wii U. After all, the Wii U still supported Wii Remotes, Wii Classic Controllers, and even 4:3! So, I rushed against time to port Shakedown: Hawaii to Wii U as well, and get it through certification before that door could close too!

I want to thank everyone at Nintendo for all the support, and everyone there who helped make these possible. To the lotcheck teams, thank you, thank you!

The whole post is worth a read so be sure to check it our here.

Well done on 14 great years, Revolution! 

• Like 3

I sat and watched this yesterday evening.

I got very nostalgic watching the video. The Wii still seems like it was a recent thing and yet it was 15 years ago now! It's crazy just how many of the games on that system are going to be lost to time. I can't see the likes of Zack & Wiki or Eledees ever getting ported to modern console due to the motion controls needed. Kinda like the DS library and how it used dual screens. :( 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This popped up on Youtube yesterday and I gave it a watch.

Man, Wii Sports Resort was such an amazing game and the setting of Wuhu Island deserves to be revisited by Nintendo. It felt like they were building towards something but then pulled the plug on that idea. It would have been great for it to have been used as a hub setting for some social type experience on Nintendo consoles. Kinda like PlayStation home only better. :p Oh, and I agree with the creator of the video, flying the plane in Wii Sports Resort was such a great experience and was my favourite part of the game.

• Thanks 2