NEurope

Funnily enough I also had the Wii U setup yesterday for a bit of multiplayer fun with the family. :) 

Played some MK8 and Nintendo Land (which my 8 year old niece really enjoyed, especially the Animal Crossing sweet collecting game :hehe:) then a few rounds of Game & Wario’s Artwork. That one is always a winner. So funny! :laughing:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Funnily enough I also had the Wii U setup yesterday for a bit of multiplayer fun with the family. :) 

Played some MK8 and Nintendo Land (which my 8 year old niece really enjoyed, especially the Animal Crossing sweet collecting game :hehe:) then a few rounds of Game & Wario’s Artwork. That one is always a winner. So funny! :laughing:

Nintendo Land is another good shout. I may fire that up next time she's around and see how she gets on with it.

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sure, it could be seen as a crutch but seeing as she doesn't game at home I figure it's best to just let her enjoy her time with gaming while she can.

Trust me, auto-acceleration isn't a crutch. It's a game changer not having to hold A all the time.

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Seeing her play on it has certainly got me thinking about revisiting the console..

I'm already there :hehe:

I've just reached 120 Stars in Super Mario Galaxy 2 again and very much looking forward to the rest!

I've always put a little bit of time into Disaster: Day of Crisis as I've been wanting to revisit it again for quite some time :smile:

If No More Heroes hadn't just been released on Switch, I'd probably have been playing that on Wii too.. and part of me is wondering why I just didn't play it on Wii anyway and save some money :heh:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nekunando said:

I've always put a little bit of time into Disaster: Day of Crisis as I've been wanting to revisit it again for quite some time :smile:

I still need to play that game. I've owned it for years but every time I go to play it I find it hard to get over just how stupid it is and end up shelving it. I don't think I ever got further than the shooting section in the early area of the game.

I got the feeling that the game doesn't know whether it wants to be serious or completely bonkers and instead it seems to land somewhere in the middle. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I still need to play that game. I've owned it for years but every time I go to play it I find it hard to get over just how stupid it is and end up shelving it. I don't think I ever got further than the shooting section in the early area of the game.

I got the feeling that the game doesn't know whether it wants to be serious or completely bonkers and instead it seems to land somewhere in the middle. 

Hey, welcome back man! Had to double take when I saw it was you posting!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've still got a long way to go but I've been enjoying it for what it is so far :smile: It's by no means a great game but I like the way the gameplay is always changing. The resolution is awful, though! Things like that don't usually bother me too much but the visuals have been very noticeably blurry, unfortunately.

There are plenty of other Wii games I've been wanting to revisit for a while, including Metroid: Other M, Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies and Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure as well as resuming my Metroid Prime save from the trilogy.. or, at least, that's the plan right now :heh:

I keep trying to convince myself that I'm gonna get around to finally playing God of War, The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn and Resident Evil 2 on PS4 but I keep dancing around them, chipping away and clearing other games instead!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I've still got a long way to go but I've been enjoying it for what it is so far :smile: It's by no means a great game but I like the way the gameplay is always changing. The resolution is awful, though! Things like that don't usually bother me too much but the visuals have been very noticeably blurry, unfortunately.

There are plenty of other Wii games I've been wanting to revisit for a while, including Metroid: Other M, Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies and Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure as well as resuming my Metroid Prime save from the trilogy.. or, at least, that's the plan right now :heh:

I keep trying to convince myself that I'm gonna get around to finally playing God of War, The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn and Resident Evil 2 on PS4 but I keep dancing around them, chipping away and clearing other games instead!

Yeah, I also remember the game looking a little rough, even by Wii standards. 

I enjoyed playing through Wario Land: Shake Dimension earlier in the year and that also got me wanting to revisit a few other Wii games.

Good call on Metroid: Other M. That could but worth another play through. Heck of a game and it's been a couple of years since I last played it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually just played through NSMB Wii again a week back or so and 100%’d it again (Yes of course I got 5 shiny stars on my file; I ain’t no scrub :cool:).

Still the best 2D Mario game!

Just restarted Skyward Sword last week as well; though it has been put on hold for a bit since me & @Glen-i started a Wind Waker Randomiser run (In case you haven’t seen our exploits in the Logic Randomisers thread; TLDR: It’s bonkers fun! :D )

Just now, Dcubed said:

I actually just played through NSMB Wii again a week back or so and 100%’d it again (Yes of course I got 5 shiny stars on my file; I ain’t no scrub :cool:).

Still the best 2D Mario game!

Just restarted Skyward Sword last week as well; though it has been put on hold for a bit since me & @Glen-i started a Wind Waker Randomiser run (In case you haven’t seen our exploits in the Logic Randomisers thread; TLDR: It’s bonkers fun! :D )

Skyward Sword is a game I'm expecting to arrive on Switch at some point and so I've held off on going back to one of my absolute favourite Zelda games.. but I think I'm just gonna end up playing it on Wii because, as with No More Heroes, I feel like the Wii Remote will probably feel more natural.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 has almost felt like a new game since it's been so long since I played it so I'm hoping to have similar experiences with whatever else I play.

To be honest, I feel like I've reached saturation point with the amount of games I own. There's plenty of games I haven't even started yet but when you add that to the number of games I'd love to play again across multiple platforms, it rarely makes sense to spend money on yet another game unless I REALLY want it.. which is rare! My recent experiences with Wii have only reinforced this feeling..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Skyward Sword is a game I'm expecting to arrive on Switch at some point and so I've held off on going back to one of my absolute favourite Zelda games.. but I think I'm just gonna end up playing it on Wii because, as with No More Heroes, I feel like the Wii Remote will probably feel more natural.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 has almost felt like a new game since it's been so long since I played it so I'm hoping to have similar experiences with whatever else I play.

To be honest, I feel like I've reached saturation point with the amount of games I own. There's plenty of games I haven't even started yet but when you add that to the number of games I'd love to play again across multiple platforms, it rarely makes sense to spend money on yet another game unless I REALLY want it.. which is rare! My recent experiences with Wii have only reinforced this feeling..

Likewise.  I've basically stopped playing my Switch all together since the start of this year.  Outside of Monster Hunter Rise/Stories 2, there's nothing I'm really begging to play on Switch at all anymore.

I've been on a retro binge all year!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I've basically stopped playing my Switch all together since the start of this year.  Outside of Monster Hunter Rise/Stories 2, there's nothing I'm really begging to play on Switch at all anymore.

I've been on a retro binge all year!

My situation with the Switch is the same. Outside of the Animal Crossing release period mine has been sat doing nothing, as seen by my post in the Gaming Diary thread. Hyrule Warriors and Part Time UFO have got me recently firing it up again but I still maintain that this is the weakest Nintendo console I've owned, despite the worldwide sales it's doing.

Back to the Wii, Skyward Sword is a game I wouldn't mind replaying. It's just behind BOTW as my worst Zelda game and it would be interesting to revisit it to see if my opinion has changed after all these years

• Like 1

I've tried to fan the Switch flame several times this year but I just keep falling away. The amount of regurgitation has left a sour taste. If I hadn't owned a Wii U, I'd be happier with the Switch but I feel like I've played so many of the games so recently that I've just stopped purchasing the ports. I haven't even unsealed Super Mario 3D All-Stars because a large part of me doesn't even want it at all :hmm:

Since 2018, my feeling has always been that 'next year will be better' but despite a few genuinely great games along the way, the unfulfilled potential of the system has been such a disappointment :sad:

I'm not excited for anything at all on the horizon so I think I'll continue to dip back into my substantial well and wait for something to catch my eye.

Myrelatively recent PS4 revival has made me feel like I've entered the next generation after what I've been playing on Switch in 2020 so I will try not to get wrapped up in the PS5 hype this month and instead dip my toe into one of my many unplayed PS4 big-hitters when the mood strikes :smile:

I really miss Nintendo, though. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Outside of Monster Hunter Rise/Stories 2, there's nothing I'm really begging to play on Switch at all anymore.

Same here. Well, just MH Rise actually. :o Oh, and BotW 2 of course, but who knows when that’s going to show up.

Pretty much all my gaming time now is on PC, it’s been great catching up on games that I missed before (like Death Stranding and Monster Hunter World), discovering new gems via Game Pass (Sea of Thieves! :cool:) and also replaying some old faves (like Bayonetta and Binary Domain) to experience them at optimal quality. And of course next week is Yakuza Like a Dragon! :bouncy:

If it wasn’t for my daily check in on Animal Crossing and the N-E Smash Bros. sessions on Thursday, my Switch wouldn’t actually be getting used at all anymore! :eek:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nekunando said:

I really miss Nintendo, though. 

My takeaway from the Switch era is that Nintendo have slowly become more corporate and in line with the rest of the industry. You could argue that it was Iwata that kept the old Nintendo spirit alive. I get that they are a business and that the money has to keep coming in but in the past they've been able to get the balance just right.

The Switch has been a massive sales success for them and now would be a great time to take a few risks and bring back some dormant IPs but instead they played it safe.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My takeaway from the Switch era is that Nintendo have slowly become more corporate and in line with the rest of the industry. You could argue that it was Iwata that kept the old Nintendo spirit alive. I get that they are a business and that the money has to keep coming in but in the past they've been able to get the balance just right.

I guess I have the advantage over most people here of never owning a non-Nintendo console in my life. (No, the Mega Drive Mini doesn't count)

Because of this and the mostly good third party showing, I've been playing a lot more third party games than I have with previous consoles. A lot of games that came out on the competition a while back are experiences I've never had before. I think I'm near the end of Final Fantasy XII and after that, I've got Ni No Kuni to tide me over until "Hyrule Warriors: BotW, but actually fun" comes out. Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory is something I'm looking forward to and I've not really touched the Pokémon DLC (Outside of the pretty fun Dynamax Adventures mode) as well. So I'm still playing my Switch way too much.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

behind BOTW as my worst Zelda game

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Hyrule Warriors: BotW, but actually fun

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I guess I have the advantage over most people here of never owning a non-Nintendo console in my life. (No, the Mega Drive Mini doesn't count)

Because of this and the mostly good third party showing, I've been playing a lot more third party games than I have with previous consoles. A lot of games that came out on the competition a while back are experiences I've never had before. I think I'm near the end of Final Fantasy XII and after that, I've got No No Kuni to tide me over until "Hyrule Warriors: BotW, but actually fun" comes out. Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory is something I'm looking forward to and I've not really touched the Pokémon DLC (Outside of the pretty fun Dynamax Adventures mode) as well. So I'm still playing my Switch way too much.

I think that's a fair point and one you can see elsewhere. If you do have other consoles or owned the Wii U then things can be a little rough.

Its weird, there are games I could play on the Switch. I've got a few on the shelf that I could start or finish and the Pokemon DLC does look interesting enough to buy but I just can't bring myself to play on the Switch for long periods of time. I'd much rather crack open the 3DS if I want some Nintendo gaming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I booted up my Wii last week for the first time in a while. Had a pretty frustrating couple of days at work and by the end I was fed up so much I needed to let off some steam, so I booted up Wii Sports and played a couple of boxing matches. Worked pretty well actually. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Reading this topic recently has made me remember just how many Wii games I’ve got & am to complete (or even play in some cases!).  Disaster: Day of Crisis and Metroid: Other M are two I’m yet to actually start.  I really enjoyed Pandora’s Tower, but never completed it. It’s been so long now that I think I’d have to start again and I’m not sure I want to replay all those hours.

7 hours ago, WackerJr said:

Disaster: Day of Crisis and Metroid: Other M are two I’m yet to actually start.

It's the best Monolith Soft game that no-one played. It's unbelievable in the most hilarious of ways. A little janky, but totally worth it for the B-Movie style cheese

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

EmFkq88XUAMIhWB?format=jpg&name=large

Greg, you do realise this is all your fault, right? 

Embrace the B-movie cheese! You’ll love it :D 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Embrace the B-movie cheese! You’ll love it :D 

I've cleared the first 5 or 6 chapters for the first time since I originally beat it all those years ago and I'm not entirely sure that he will love it :grin:

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

EmFkq88XUAMIhWB?format=jpg&name=large

Greg, you do realise this is all your fault, right? 

You're gonna have one hell of a day!

The first level of Disaster involves storming an abandoned building to rescue "her" (Actual name, you can't convince me otherwise) from a terrorist organisation, but OH NO! An Earthquake! So you have to escape a rapidly collapsing building that seems to collapse precisely where Ray is at all times. Oh, and the terrorist organisation are still trying to shoot you to death.

And despite all this, you can still get sidetracked from rescuing random injured civilians.

That's probably the third calmest level in the game.

• Haha 1