NEurope

I've just bought Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth so I'm trying to figure out good combinations of things to buy so that I don't have any leftover points on the system.

I wasn't planning to spend so much but maybe I'll add another 3000 points (£21.00) to get 3 Mega Drive/SNES games and something else for 600 points like Gradius Rebirth ::shrug:

When you've just bought 4000 Wii Shop points and then realise that you're going to need at least 4000 more to afford the titles you want, even after discounting a load of titles which you convince yourself you can live without... probably. :p

I'm making the Konami Rebirth titles a priority, certain VC titles which you can't get anywhere else bar expensive cartridges and anything else which I spot on the shop and think to myself "I was sure that I had that..." only to find that I don't. :rolleyes:

This is going to be an interesting week in the leadup to the cut-off date. :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

Is it really worth getting those Bomberman games when R is on the Switch?

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Pokemon Rumble, there's a 3DS and Wii U version, or WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase because isn't the service dead when they killed the servers for the Wii/DS.?

The WiiWare Bomberman game is on that list purely because it will be gone forever when the Shopping Channel shuts down.  Bomberman Hero is there because it's a bit different to the other Bombermans (no multi) and it's ~£15 to buy the cart.

Pokemon Rumble is another WiiWare which will be gone forever.  Would be nice to see where the series started.

WarioWare DIY Showcase is pretty much on the list as a maybe.  I think it might still enhance the offline play of the game but not really sold on it yet.

Edited by V. Amoleo

5 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

When you've just bought 4000 Wii Shop points and then realise that you're going to need at least 4000 more to afford the titles you want, even after discounting a load of titles which you convince yourself you can live without... probably. :p

I'm making the Konami Rebirth titles a priority, certain VC titles which you can't get anywhere else bar expensive cartridges and anything else which I spot on the shop and think to myself "I was sure that I had that..." only to find that I don't. :rolleyes:

This is going to be an interesting week in the leadup to the cut-off date. :D

I may leave it where I'm at as I've been surviving perfectly well without all of those other games in my life for all these years.. but it's also so nice to have them. It's such a dilemma :eek:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I may leave it where I'm at as I've been surviving perfectly well without all of those other games in my life for all these years.. but it's also so nice to have them. It's such a dilemma :eek:

Yes, I mean obviously life will go on without them ultimately, it's just the thought... of not being able to play them ever potentially. :hmm:

When it boils down to it, I really will just go for those Konami Rebirth titles and a couple of VC games which I know I would really miss and know that I wouldn't buy them in physical form, especially rare NES titles, I like to collect some rare stuff but Nintendo Entertainment System cartridges are something I won't tend to buy unless there's a special circumstance surrounding their release or if I can get them cheap... which doesn't happen these days. :p

1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

Yes, I mean obviously life will go on without them ultimately, it's just the thought... of not being able to play them ever potentially. :hmm:

When it boils down to it, I really will just go for those Konami Rebirth titles and a couple of VC games which I know I would really miss and know that I wouldn't buy them in physical form, especially rare NES titles, I like to collect some rare stuff but Nintendo Entertainment System cartridges are something I won't tend to buy unless there's a special circumstance surrounding their release or if I can get them cheap... which doesn't happen these days. :p

I haven't even looked at the NES list as I'm not that keen on the console.. but maybe there's something there I need :indeed:

Is Strider worth getting on Mega Drive?

3 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I haven't even looked at the NES list as I'm not that keen on the console.. but maybe there's something there I need :indeed:

Is Strider worth getting on Mega Drive?

You might want to get Ufouria: The Saga on the NES even if you don't pick up anything else.

Yes, Strider on the Mega Drive is worth getting. :)

Also, everyone should get Alien Soldier on the Mega Drive if they don't own it digitally anywhere else, the original MD cart is very expensive.

Edited by S.C.G

I second the recommendation for Strider. It's one of my fav Mega Drive games. It's also available via Strider 2 on the PSOne but that goes for a hefty price these days. I picked it up a year or two back and it's already doubled in price.

I'm doing a little Wii Fit right now.. and the snowboarding is so much fun. I wish Nintendo had made a full game out of it as other games don't seem to get the feel quite right!

Wii is awesome :grin:

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I second the recommendation for Strider. It's one of my fav Mega Drive games. It's also available via Strider 2 on the PSOne but that goes for a hefty price these days. I picked it up a year or two back and it's already doubled in price.

It’s actually available on PSN now in all regions (includes the PS1 port of the arcade version too); at a MUCH more reasonable price than the physical copy!

It was a very very late PS3 release.

BTW guys, don’t sleep on the Art Style games! They’re brilliant, brilliant games!

You, Me & The Cubes is also a good time, as is the Rebirth series (which I’m sure everyone is downloading like mad right now...).  Tomena Sanner and Muscle March are your resident WTF Japan laughs of course and Maboshi’s Arcade is another really neat game I’d recommend.

Also, if you have a Japanese Wii, be sure to get Pole’s Big Adventure! It’s a hilarious little platforming romp (complete with Japanese laughter track and Mario style mushrooms that give your character an erection!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It’s actually available on PSN now in all regions (includes the PS1 port of the arcade version too); at a MUCH more reasonable price than the physical copy!

It was a very very late PS3 release.

I can't find Strider on PSN, just the 2014 game.  Do you have a link?

4 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

I can't find Strider on PSN, just the 2014 game.  Do you have a link?

Sorry, just found out that it’s not available on the UK PSN after all, just the US and JPN ones (must’ve misremembered).

TBH I would recommend getting it from the US store, even if it was on the UK one anyway, because it’s the superior 60hz version (yes, a UK PS3 can indeed download and play US PS1 games from the PSN store just fine - I’ve done it myself).

Here’s a link to the US Store listing...

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-NPUJ01142_00-0000000000000001

After the PS4 launched, Capcom decided, for some strange reason, that it was time to pull their finger out and decided to release a load of their games on the PSN that they were holding back on, including Strider 2, Mega Man Legends 1, 2 and Tron Bonne!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

I've been using the Wii quite a bit over the last week (I still love it to pieces :love: ) but I decided to plug my Wii U in this afternoon to maybe have a go at some of the games on Wii Fit U that aren't in the previous versions.

Wii U is AWFUL :sad:

I had plenty of fun with it for a few years, despite its shortcomings, but it's almost impossible to want to use it anymore. It's the opposite of user-friendly and nothing feels quite right.

Keep getting those games ported to Switch and I'll end up retiring it for good.

By comparison, the Wii is so much better!

• Like 1

On 17/03/2018 at 2:05 PM, S.C.G said:

You might want to get Ufouria: The Saga on the NES even if you don't pick up anything else.

Wow, a NES game I've never heard of before. Looks interesting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

Wow, a NES game I've never heard of before. Looks interesting.

That game is also on Wii U, BTW.  Get it, it's a great game! (With some rad music!)

Had to hook up my Wii to my own old TV (it's been in the living room for a long time, having actually seen use until recently as a Netflix device), got a bit nostalgic. Prepared the SD card that was used for it, removed some crap, but there were also some Animal Crossing screenshots on it. Plus this scan of a Wired magazine, which I posted on, well I guess it was actually the precursor to Miiverse.

scan_cover_wired_08-2007.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not super interested in the game itself, but I think that's super cool, and I think I may (try to) get it just for the novelty factor..

• Like 1

Somebody REALLY wants to make sure that Just Dance doesn’t get to commandeer the title of Last Ever Wii Game! :hehe:

• Haha 3
  • Weird 1

There's been a bit of Wii-vival in my household recently. I've been taking care of my youngest niece (7 years old) on a number of occasions and I usually let her play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on my Switch. I was thinking of other games that would be suitable for her and the Wii popped into my head. I decided to mix things up a bit and the next time I was looking after her I introduced her to Wii Sports Resort. I created a new Mii for her, started a fresh save file and just let her go at the game. 

If starting a new file on the game it means that you get to do the initial sky dive out of the plane. She was absolutely fascinated by it all and couldn't believe that she was controlling her Mii by simply moving the controller. She was pretty much hooked from that point on and from there she ended up playing things like bowling, fencing and even the more advanced games like archery. I was quite surprised how quick she picked it up as my sister and her husband don't let her play video games at home and keep her off mobile phones and iPads as they would rather she reads or does something more creative. Every time she pops over now she instantly asks to play the game. :D 

During one of the sessions I had to take my phone out and record what she was doing. It was absolutely hilarious. She was playing the cycling game and near the end of the course I was encouraging her to go a little faster and so she started to kick her legs and run on the spot as if that had any impact to what she was doing on screen. She also started to get closer and closer to the TV screen, willing her character to go that little bit faster. Great stuff.

I showed my sister how active the little one gets when she's playing it. She's already a very active kid ( goes for lots of walks with her parents ) but my sister was impressed with the type of game it was and is even thinking about getting her a Wii for Christmas. You can get them dirt cheap on eBay these days and there are loads of games she could pick up for her. I have recommended to her to pay a little extra and try and pick up a Wii U. That way there won't be any issue with TV connections as I think their TV may be modern enough to not support the cables that are needed to play on a HDTV.

Seeing her play on it has certainly got me thinking about revisiting the console, playing some old games on it and even picking up some of the ones I may have missed. It's definitely a console that I played but didn't really appreciate at the time. With this generation coming to an end, and with me in no hurry to jump into the next generation of consoles, I am thinking that Wii-visiting the console is something that I may do sooner rather than later. 

It's funny thinking about it, the Wii still seems relatively recent to me but it's close to 15 years old at this point now. There's a generation of kids, much like my niece, who have never heard of it or experienced how fun motion controls can be when used properly. Watching her play on the Wii and the reaction it gave did show that there was a certain charm and magic about the console that very few consoles, if any, have been able to pull off. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good point. Would be fun to try Wii Sports Resort with me 3 year old. He should be able to pick it up but not play things properly. We recently played Starlink on Switch, he really enjoyed flying with the Arwing in space. He also plays MK8Dx with steering assist, auto-accelerate and motion controls. He actually does well there, got a 3rd place on a course, 50cc.

8 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Good point. Would be fun to try Wii Sports Resort with me 3 year old. He should be able to pick it up but not play things properly. We recently played Starlink on Switch, he really enjoyed flying with the Arwing in space. He also plays MK8Dx with steering assist, auto-accelerate and motion controls. He actually does well there, got a 3rd place on a course, 50cc.

Yeah, when I started her off with Mario Kart I also put on the assists. It made things much easier for her and she got more out of the game. Sure, it could be seen as a crutch but seeing as she doesn't game at home I figure it's best to just let her enjoy her time with gaming while she can.

• Like 2