NEurope

Sequel, without a doubt.

Less faffing about, has a better soundtrack (opinion!) and let's face it, Green stars are way more fun than play the whole game again with Luigi.

Thats a big reason why I enjoy the sequel more. It just felt more streamlined.

And whatever people think of it, I had more fun with Metroid: Other M than Skyward Sword.

I'm not sure whether I like this statement or not.

I mean, I like Other M, even more than Prime 3, but I don't like it more than Skyward Sword.

Oh well, I would also take out Mario Kart Wii and replace it with Disaster: Day Of Crisis. That game puts such a massive smile on my face.

I'm not gonna say it's got groundbreaking gameplay or anything like that. But it's so silly (They kidnapped... HER!) and it plays that for all it's worth! Plus, I'm convinced Pokemon ORAS nicked the finale and used it for Delta Episode.

Edited by Glen-i

That's not a bad list overall (not as good as my own one I made a few years back when the Wii U came out of course ;) ). About the only things I say that don't really deserve to be there are Mario Kart Wii (one of my least favourite entries in the series overall) and Silent Hill Shattered Memories (great concepts, great story twist at the end but it's also really rough, unrefined, unpolished and doesn't really come together in the way I was hoping it would).

In terms of impact, absolutely. It'd probably be number 1, no it would be nailed on. But as 1 of the 10 best Wii games? I don't think so. It feels like a demo, it is a demo.

It's by far my most played Wii game over the years. It still goes on when my friends come over for a game of golf or to hit a few home runs. It's the best demo I've ever played :heh:

Like @Dcubed, I find Mario Kart Wii to be one of the weaker games in the series, despite a promising start when I first purchased it. I got the Wii Wheel out a few weeks ago to play a couple of GPs and it just reinforced how much better Mario Kart 8 really is..

The Super Mario Galaxy debate is one that I may have to try to get to the bottom of soon as I'd really like to play through both again :hehe: Where do I find the time..? ::shrug:

Excite Truck, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition and No More Heroes are probably amongst my 10 greatest Wii experiences, and Mario Strikers: Charged Football has been the most amount of fun I've had playing games online to date :grin:

wii_u_wii_games.jpg?w=660

These are the next batch of games post January.

wii-downloads-wii-u.png

Edited by Wii

Definitely gonna pick up Sin and Punishment.

I remember that game being fun, but I don't own the game.

I'll probably consider Kirby's Adventure Wii as I already own the rest, but only if it offers the £8.99 introductory offer too :heh:

I'll probably consider Kirby's Adventure Wii as I already own the rest, but only if it offers the £8.99 introductory offer too :heh:

Well worth the price, especially as the game usually goes for £40+ on Ebay.

I wonder if the price of this and Prime Trilogy will now start to go down now?

Well worth the price, especially as the game usually goes for £40+ on Ebay.

I wonder if the price of this and Prime Trilogy will now start to go down now?

It might but it doesn't change them being rare games. Maybe I should have sold my copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I may get Kirby's Adventure Wii, I'll have to check the file size. I'd prefer to own it on disc but the price is too high.

Kirby's Adventure Wii is 1.5GB.

Edited by Wii

Kirby's Adventure Wii is 1.5GB.

That's a file size I can handle :hehe:

It's a shame to be limiting my purchases in that way, even if something like Metroid Prime Trilogy is ultimately a luxury rather than a necessity :heh:

Definitely getting kirby and pandoras tower. I think we all know these went have the 8.99 offer :(

Only game on that list i'd be interested in would be the Prime Trilogy. Recenty bought Kirby's Adventure Wii for less than £30 the other month. It's a good idea for Nintendo to release the games like this, gives many people the chance to play the classics.

Now, if only Nintendo did a system similar to Sony and Microsoft, and let you pay for the game but put it into a "download for later" list.

Edited by Jimbob

I'm really glad to see these games made readily available for people to purchase, even if I already personally already own almost every worthwhile game ever released for the Wii (there's only a scarce few I still need that are playable without Japanese knowledge and since these re-releases offer no extra features/QoL improvements, I'm not gonna rebuy any of them outside of the EU version of Rhythm Heaven Fever/BTB Rhythm Paradise; for the extra option of Japanese vocals which I was a bit gutted about missing out on since I imported the U.S. version originally :p )

I really hope that they take the opportunity to release the region exclusive games like Disaster DOC in the U.S. or Trauma Team in Europe. It's criminal that so many people just can't play these gems!

And with these re-releases not falling under the Virtual Console branding (which makes perfect sense, since they're not actually emulated), it also gives hope that we will still eventually see them get VC releases down the line as well at some point, with all the bells and whistles that I love about the VC (suspend saves, customisable controls, Miiverse support, high-res/HD res rendering etc)

Edited by Dcubed

I am really gutted that the wii games being released do not have miiverse support.

I am really gutted that the wii games being released do not have miiverse support.

Yeah, its a deal breaker for me. Had they supported this feature I probably would have double dipped.

Do you need to use the Wii remote and nunchuck for these games on Wii U or can you use the game pad / pro controller?!

Metroid Prime Trilogy Load Times: Disc Vs eShop version (Metroid Prime 3)

Very much improved.

Wow, that's certainly noticeable. I did hear that the load times between Galaxy 2 digital vs retail isn't noticeable, but this certainly is.

Are the load times better because it's reading from faster storage, or because it makes use of the Wii U's better hardware?

Are the load times better because it's reading from faster storage, or because it makes use of the Wii U's better hardware?

The former. USB 2.0 is over twice as fast as the Wii's DVD drive read speed (9MBps vs roughly 22-25MBps) so the load times improve accordingly.

It's actually pretty impressive that they got that working seamlessly because these Wii games aren't actually designed for the improved speed! I know that it can cause lots of problems with homebrew solutions (not to mention dealing with when hard drives go into sleep mode and the game doesn't know how to cope - of course, Nintendo's own solution accounts for that nicely :) )

People aren't really giving Nintendo the credit they deserve for getting these games to work properly. It's not easy getting these Wii games to read from a device that they were never designed to read from (and they haven't actually gone in and edited the games themselves to make it work - everything is done externally from the game itself, which is not only hard to pull off but also has the added benefit of making it incredibly easy to re-release Wii games from this point onwards - all they have to do is do some basic QA testing to make sure that it works and then put it out on the store, no per-game work required :D). And how on earth they managed to get the Gamepad to map to the Classic Controller I have no idea; again, very impressive considering that the Wii games have no idea that they're being played on a Wii U and have no way to directly access the Wii U hardware functions).

There's a good reason why it has taken them a while to get this working ;)

Hopefully they'll be able to do the same with GameCube games, but that's more of a technical challenge (all sorts of extra things to consider, how do you handle getting GCN games to recognise USB devices - considering that the GCN mode cannot recognise any of the Wii's functionality like the SD Card slot or the USB ports, how do you implement a way to return to the Wii U Menu, considering that the GCN mode has no way of returning to the Wii Menu without just shutting the system down and powering it on again, how do you handle virtualising the memory cards - do you have a memory card per game? Or do you share them amongst games, how do you support games that recognised saves from other games like MGS Twin Snakes? How do you deal with disc swapping? How do you deal with games that use the GCN microphone?)

It's a big challenge, considering that you cannot edit the games themselves here. If they were emulating these games like with the VC, then dealing with this stuff would be much easier, but if they plan on handling GCN games like they do with the downloadable Wii games on Wii U, then dealing with this stuff will be much harder (but on the plus side, if they can get that working, then it's pretty much guaranteed to work with every single GCN game - with no per-game work required; thus enabling them to re-release any GCN game they want, with no real programming work required, enmass whenever they feel like it!)

Personally though, I reckon that the Wii U Gamepad will play a larger role with GCN games though. Now since the games will almost certainly require a GCN controller (plus the GCN controller adapter), I reckon that they'll probably have the system controls like memory card management and disc swapping handled by the Gamepad itself (because there are obviously no spare buttons on a GCN controller and GCN mode cannot access the Wii Remote/Wii Classic controller anyway); plus there's no way to overlay any sort of menu on top of a game in GCN mode because you are running the game within all of the same limitations as an actual GCN console (nor is there anyway to pause a game in progress within GCN mode). Now remember that these games are running in Wii/GCN mode and in these modes, the console has no way of rendering anything directly to the Gamepad (the "Wii games cannot be controlled via the Wii U Gamepad" message that appears when playing Wii games normally is actually rendered by the Gamepad itself, just like the Wii U Quick Start Menu and the TV Remote function), so I reckon that they'll take the same approach here and have all of the GCN system menu stuff be rendered by the Wii U Gamepad itself - this also bypasses the limitation of not being able to render anything on top of what is already being rendered by a GCN game on the Wii U console itself, because you are bound by all the same limitations of a GCN while in GCN mode.

So you'll be able to use the Gamepad's GCN menu to insert/remove GCN memory cards, swap discs, reset the game and return to the Wii U menu, with the Wii U console internally turning itself off back on when you choose the option to return to the Wii U Menu (it's a bit of a clunky way of handling getting back to the menu, but it should work - I think that's how they manage to get back to the Wii U Menu from when you quit a downloaded Wii game, or start the Wii U Menu channel while in Wii Mode anyway - Notice how the Wii U console always seems to reboot from scratch when you quit a downloaded Wii game? ;) - so they'd be doing basically the same thing as what they do with Wii games anyway).

Memory card management will probably be done from the Wii U Menu itself before you start up a GCN game; so that solves the problem of having people messing around with file management while a GCN game is running - preventing any sort of glitches that might happen if someone is stupid enough to delete their save file while playing a game.

So yeah! What seems simple from the outside is actually really difficult and complicated to pull off! It's fun to think about how they'd actually go about getting it to work though! :D (and that Gamepad is the key to getting it to all work properly - without it, there's no way that they would be able to find any acceptable way to get digital GCN games to work ;) )

Edited by Dcubed

Nintendo has 'no comment' on third-party Wii games for the Wii U eShop

In the meantime, let's tell them which ones we want

Nintendo recently started selling full Wii games on the Wii U eShop, leaving only the GameCube's library off the list of Nintendo's past home console titles that you can play (officially) on the system. Other than faster load times for some games like Metroid Prime Trilogy, these Wii re-releases haven't received any improvements since they were originally put on the market, but people are still darn excited about them, sometimes more than they were when the games were first introduced. I think that may have something to do with the Wii U's underdog image, but that's a topic for another time.

I reached out to Nintendo to see if third-party Wii games might be coming to the Wii U eShop anytime soon, and it didn't have comment. My guess is that's either because it's planning on rolling out third-party games on the service with the announcement of some fan favorite like No More Heroes or Resident Evil 4, or third parties just aren't interested in getting their old Wii games on Nintendo's new console. That would be a shame, because the Wii was packed with the kinds of third-party games that would have sold great on Steam, PSN, and XBLA. Having them available for download on a system with a relatively small install base but a great attach rate might be the perfect way to give them new life.

If third parties do start putting Wii games on the Wii U eShop, which would you want them to start with? My short list includes Little King's Story, Muramasa (preferably with the new DLC from the Vita port), MadWorld, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Lost in Shadow, Fragile Dreams, Trauma Team, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Zack and Wiki, A Boy and his Blob, and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, though I assure you that's just the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-has-no-comment-on-third-party-wii-games-for-the-wii-u-eshop-287204.phtml

There's only a tiny selection of games that I didn't buy for Wii but I have everything of interest bar Fragile Dreams, No More Heroes 2 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom above. They'd need to be cheaper than what you'd pay for them physically online. 3rd parties have to be interested, they'd have to do very little work. Capcom are big fans of that.

There's a new Wii game coming out....a squash one.

This will skyrocket Wii platform sales, I bet numbers will go up with at least 200%

Seriously, wth??? :wtf::wtf::wtf:

I love stuff like this where we randonly get a new Dreamcast game or people code a game that works on the Atari 2600