NEurope

Introducing the remodel of the Wii, the Wii Mini

NW9iu.jpg

Just seen this on Gaf and it looks awesome, hopefully it's legit. If the price is right I may import one for the US only games I wanted to play. It will sit nicely next to my other Wii consoles. :D

Oh wow, so it IS real!

Looks like a top loader to me (gets flashbacks to the PS2 Slim)

It can't be that much smaller can it? How much smaller can you make the damn thing!?

It can't be that much smaller can it? How much smaller can you make the damn thing!?

A slightly thicker CD drive?

A slightly thicker CD drive?

Well it pretty much is already a thicker DVD drive!

The switch to a toploader no doubt would make the drive itself much smaller though (which is probably the main source of the space savings here)

Either way, there's a decent chance that we might not get this redesign here in Europe in the end. We never got the NES toploader or the SNES Jr after all!

Why do a Wii mini? Is it needed? Is it sensible? Shouldn't they be focusing more of their power/resources on the Wii U? Another shameless business move by Nintendo. Didn't they 'redesign' it a while ago, too?

Why do a Wii mini? Is it needed? Is it sensible? Shouldn't they be focusing more of their power/resources on the Wii U? Another shameless business move by Nintendo. Didn't they 'redesign' it a while ago, too?

It's almost as if they're a business :p

I think they see the danger of modern dumb ass parents buying their kids iOS-devises instead of consoles, because many iOS games are free. So they're making their hugely succesful Wii smaller, cheaper and more colourful.

After all, the Wii U isn't a guaranteed success.

A very sound business practice, IMO.

That's a pretty nice looking redesign! I'm sure forums and comment sections all over the internet will be exploding with hate over this whilst at the same time creaming their collective pants over Sony's second redesign of the PS3!

That's a pretty nice looking redesign! I'm sure forums and comment sections all over the internet will be exploding with hate over this whilst at the same time creaming their collective pants over Sony's second redesign of the PS3!

Actually it seems to be the other way around. The new PS3 design wasn't liked at all but this new Wii is getting positive comments, at least in terms of its looks.

Historically speaking, whenever Nintendo has done a proper chasis redesign of their console (i.e, not just an internal revision or a removal of ports for cost saving reasons), they've always released it after the launch of that console's successor (see the NES toploader and the SNES Jr)

At this point the console is on its way out, with no new software or firmware updates in the pipeline. It's a way to cut costs, while offering additional value to those that can't afford a Wii U right now. It also helps to differentiate the old console's physical design from the Wii U (not that I think that to be anywhere near as big a problem as the forum dwelling folk seem to believe)

That being said, we have never seen any of these redesigns ever get an EU launch...

Edited by Dcubed

Just seen this on Gaf and it looks awesome, hopefully it's legit. If the price is right I may import one for the US only games I wanted to play. It will sit nicely next to my other Wii consoles. :D

Is it only being released in the US?

Because of my compulsive needing Nintendo consoles habit, I have to get one of these.

Well played Nintendo... 2 Consoles (if Wii Mini is out in UK this year) you've made me buy in 2012.

Looks like its from the early 90's. It'd fit right in with the NES and Snes which I like.

XmhEf.jpg

edit -

Apprantly its exclusive to Canada. lol.

Hmm doesn't look anywhere neasr as nice as first thought.

Makes sense though (well it doesn't as they 'remodelled' it a while back but anyway), as they've said they're thinking of supporting the Wii like Sony has done with the PS2.

Though they might aswell have just called it the Nintendo Just Dance Box. :awesome:

Looks like a top loader to me (gets flashbacks to the PS2 Slim)
Gets Dancing in the Moonlight flashback. :p

Dude seriously!... has Yoda taught you nothing about the path to the darkside?

Looked nice initially, but pretty cheapy in the close-ups. I'd have no use for this whatsoever and I'd feel mean buying anyone this as a present instead of a Wii U.

I've enjoyed the Gaf outrage at a product that is clearly not targeted at our demographic. If I was Nintendo I'd use this as a base to expand into the emerging markets they've so far ignored. Develop a more comprehensive Nintendo Selects line and market this in regions like China, India and South America, places that the average consumer isn't going to be able to afford a Wii U any time soon.

I think it looks fucking awesome. I might actually pick one up.

Edit: No Wifi is...annoying.

Edited by Daft

it looks freaking sweet, but no internet?! really what is that about then? no virtual console just games? i suppose its a cheap entry level console....at the end of a life cycle

What I do not understand at all, is why they removed all things networking. The Wii Family Edition is already NOK 895 (£ 95) in Norway, with 25% VAT, and I assume it is even cheaper in North America, so why would people buy the Wii Mini?

It is pretty, though!