NEurope

1. Are you able to play a game for less than an hour?

Only if it's boring.

2. How do you combine other obligations with your greatest of hobbies?

Gaming is something I do at the end of the day after I've done my exercises, work, going out etc.

3. How do you go about eliminating your backlog?

Badly.

I usually just get the to the point where I say "I'm not enjoying these, I'm never going to finish them" and sell them. After all, if it was a really great game I'd have played it through in less than two weeks from starting it. The Virtual Console has added to my backlog, as I've downloaded a lot of games into my Wii that I really can't be bothered to play.

4. What game have you played for X hours straight, and what number would that X be?

Zelda: Twilight Princess. I was so excited when I first got it, I played it for six hours!

Perhaps question number 5 could be: Does anyone here plan their gaming time?

No, it's just a "when I've got time" or "when I want to" thing.

So is this for your coursework...?

I've got a few general question to ask you lot:

I am, yes, but seeing as I tend to play lengthy games, an hour seems like a pretty short play session for me. If I'm playing something pick up and play like Wii Sports for example, then sure, 20 mins and I feel like I've gotten something from it.

Getting older means theres less time for it. I don't come home from school, get my homework done and stick on the Snes for the rest of the night any more. :( Even at the weekend its not that simple nowadays. I still game (obviously!) but its more premeditated these days with conscious decisions being made about what I will play and when I will have time to sit down and do it.

Made a backloggery account to help me see what great games I have that I should be content with right now, to help me stop looking ahead to the next big thing.

If there was never another game released, I could get on just fine for ages!

4. What game have you played for X hours straight, and what number would that X be?

Ooh, can't remember. Played a lot of RPGs for a lot of time in single sittings.

As I said in question 2, yes. I used to have vague ideas about what game I fancied playing but nowadays I've gotten a bit more specific with it all. There comes a time that you realise if you want to get stuff done (even enjoying computer games) that you need to make the time to do it and just get on with it.

Very Rarely. Mostly due to boredom.

It gets shoved to the back of the pile :(

I haven't even thought about it. There's still loads of great Wii games I've barely even touched... There isn't enough hours in the day.

Very recently I spent 7 hours straight on F1 2010 and that was the first time in about a year I had done so.

I actually do :p Only mentally, but most of it gets eaten up by being online, ironically discussing the games I'm not playing.. ::shrug:

Yes. In fact much more easily than I can for over.

Rarely.

I don't.

Only time I recall playing a game for any number of hours is when I'm reviewing it. If I play for pleasure I tend to do short bursts.

5. Does anyone here plan their gaming time?

Nope.

Yes. Stuff like Audiosurf and Beat Hazard are great for quick goes.

Work all day. Play games in the evening.

Buy buying more games. I don't know why, but that tactic isn't working.

Burnout Paradise. 24 hours.

No. I just go with what I feel like.

Yes, easily.

Football comes before everything, then gaming.

I don't know really. I play games until i stop enjoying them, whether I've completed them or not.

Hmm. There has been nights were I've played EVE Online from evening time, so about 7/8PM. All the way till 4AM. So i'll say 7 hours.

5. Do i plan gaming time?

Nope. Only for organised online gaming.

To be honest, I don't have a real solution, as I have the same general problem, except for the fact I do have plenty of time available, but I just seem to game less..

I do suggest you play Silent Hill right away though, since that'll give you a great experience while requiring little of your time. 2 nights should be enough for a single playthrough, 1 even if you play the whole night.

Definitely. With just having started university, I'm finding myself more and more confined to handheld gaming, which I find superb for short bursts. Going on Dragon Quest IX at least once a day for about half and hour per stint. I've also just acquired, played and completed Metroid Fusion in a week by going on it a couple of times a day in less-than-an-hour bursts.

My gaming is now fit in around my uni work (actually doing some now). As work stuff gets harder, it seems to take more commitment to actually game. Most of my spare time is spent procrastinating online whilst lying on my bed. Gaming for me is almost becoming like reading in the mental commitment if requires.

Very very badly recently. Luckily, I don't purchase so many games in a year. But in recent months I've just found it impossible to go back to certain games. On the one hand, it's sad to see the games I've only put a couple of hours into, but on the other, it separates the great games from the rest. If I game really captures me (say, Metroid: Other M), I WILL see it through to the end very quickly. Something like No More Heroes 2 though just doesn't seem worthy of my time, and I've only put about 4 hours into it. I do however have Donkey Kong Country 2 which I downloaded months ago and haven't even thought about starting yet #shame

The only recent extreme I can think of (that's non-PC) is Infinite Space on DS, which I think I played for about 4 hours straight the first time I started it. I recommend YOU go through Silent Hill from start to finish non-stop. It'll take about 6 hours providing you get the most out of the beautiful game world, and it'll be quite an experience.

I'm planning on going on Golden Sun 2 when I finish this Philosophy work. That's about as long-term as my planning gets.

I regularly play games for less than an hour. I usually work through several different games at a time across a variety of genres. At the moment I am dividing my time between Red Steel 2 (Wii), Spyro The Dragon (PS1), Forza Motorsport 3 (XBOX 360), Top Spin 3 (XBOX 360) and now Golden Sun (GBA) since finishing the campaign on Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (XBOX 360). I usually play little segments at a time unless I become engrossed in a particular game :smile:

I seem to have a lot more time on my hands now due to how everything has developed this year. When I'm not at work I'm usually playing a game or doing stuff with my friends..

I seem to have taken better strides at eliminating my backlog in recent times as I have certainly bought less games recently and I'm making more of an effort to stick at certain games without being sidetracked by others. I tend to play several games at a time across different formats, as I mentioned, so that things stay fresh. If one of the games grabs my interest more than the others, I'll probably finish it relatively quickly and move onto another.

I don't usually play any game for a large number of hours in a row and find that going over the 2 hour mark is enough of a stretch. The last game I can recall playing for a prolonged period of time is Super Mario Galaxy 2 because it was so hard to put down! I may have reached about 4 hours in one sitting.. but things like that are rare for me :heh:

I don't really plan my time. If I feel like playing something in particular, I'll probably just play it when I get the chance. I only really plan things ocassionaly, such as this Halloween when I plan to take care of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. i have wanted to play it for a few months now but I have postponed it just so I can play it around this time of year :eek: I'm also likely to give 1080 Snowboarding its annual playthrough along with doing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 with another character as I always get in the mood to play them in the autumn. I'm sure that is down to me buying them around this time of year several years ago..

I am but I tend not to as much. I like having that time so I can let myself become more absorbed in it. When I'm waiting for something, instead of firing up the DS, I am now more inclined to just go on the internet on my phone. I'm very likely to send someone a message too whilst I get a few minutes to myself and if they respond it saves me having to keep putting something down and picking it up again. So if I am playing a game for less than an hour, I try to avoid new games where I would actually be making progress in case I get to a point where I can't really save and stop playing.

Obligations are just that and they have to come first. But if I think I can get away with, I'll do a bit of gaming beforehand. It's a pretty bad habit though.

Backlogs aren't something I typically ever have problems with. I don't buy an awful lot of games. I've brought 8 retail games so far this year (6 Wii and 2 DS) and have my eye on 3 future releases. But normally after a good weekend session, I'll have seen a good chunk of what most games have to offer and then by the end of the week, the game is often finished.

I still go back and play them and have multiple games on the go that way but they aren't in any sort of backlog.

Most of my purchases of games tend to be on it's day or weekenn of release. If I don't get it then, the odds of me doing so become quite low. And I don't normally buy a game until I've finished the one I'm on so I know I will give it my full attention unless I see it as an absolute must buy.

When I get a new game, I'll sit there and play it for hours if I enjoy it enough. I think I spent up to 8 hours at any one time just playing without stopping to for an actual meal or do do something else.

I have been known to book time off work for games I'm really looking forward to but after that initial day, I just play when I have free time - free time = gaming time I do sometimes plan what order I'm going to play my games though. So I might think I've not played something recently so I'll go through that. And then I'll look at how long I think it will take me and see what I've got on. If it's a really long game and I know I won't have as much free time, I won't bother starting it - I'll pick something shorter.

Thanks a lot for all these diverse responses!

@ Darksnowman

No, this is not for my coursework, I'm just curious about fellow N-europers gaming habits and am also trying to learn from them.

Let me just tell all of you what kind of guy I am:

I am a guy who makes a list of all the Wii and DS games I still need to buy/play and the first thing I do is order 2 games that were not on my list (Castlevania Double Pack).

:hmm:

I hope we can all agree though, that, from time to time, you play a game you just fall in love with and still gives you that warm feeling inside when you think about it.

I bow my head to those who answered.

NOW THEN!

Next year's E3: NINTENDO CONFERENCE......Nintendo Sphiire?

If developers are gonna put absolutely no effort into their Wii games, they could at least release it as a Wii Ware title at a cheap price!

I'm wanting to pick up another Wii for Galaxy 2, Other M, DKC Returns, Goldeneye and Zelda.

Any good deals going on anywhere?

25th Anniversary Super Mario All-Stars Collection coming to Europe December 3rd..it's been posted on Nintendo Sweden..so hopefuly we'll get official confirmation soon!

25th Anniversary Super Mario All-Stars Collection coming to Europe December 3rd..it's been posted on Nintendo Sweden..so hopefuly we'll get official confirmation soon!

*points to Super Mario All-Stars Collection Thread* :)

Red Wii to release in Japan for Marios 25th

Link:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/mario25th/wii/index.html

The console itself only seems to have a differrent colour, no special print like the DSi's. I would have loved an 8-bit Mario printed on top.

But pre-installed is a 25th anniversary special edition Super Mario Bros game, the same as the one you get from the VC in all aspects, except for the fact all the questionmark blocks have been replaced. See a screenshot through that link.

Oh, and it comes with a red new remote (the one with Motion+ included).

of course no!!! I play in WOW minimum 2 hour.

I know, there are something what I nessesery do, and it compel me do it/

I don't know really. I play games until i stop enjoying them, whether I've completed them or not.

Once I plaed for a 6 hour...

5. Do i plan gaming time?

yes, it can be.

European Wii Red Version

2u44lnc.jpg

- DONKEY KONG: Original Edition -

Mario's gaming debut

Pre-installed on this system

Wii Sports

New Super Mario Bros Wii

Nice. That's the colour I originally wanted. Why are we getting Donkey Kong though?