NEurope
Solo

Star Wars: The Old Republic

I know it's not in-game but it certainly grabbed my attention. Phenomenal trailer!

Quite excited about this game to be honest, looks like an MMO that's actually worth playing!

That trailer is fantastic...although will never run on my PC so have to hold out home for PS3 release...you never know after the KOTOR series got quite a following on xbox console versions aren't too unlikely...

I'd love to be able to play but I can't justify how much time MMOs need.

I love KOTOR. Bar KOTOR, Star Wars is dead to me.

So...anyone planning on getting this?

A friend at work convinced me to get it. Plus I'm in the beta this weekend.

Everything ive heard on this people seem to be disapointed. Saying it originally showed a lot of promise but in the end turned out to be another WoW clone.

I don’t know.. I’m not intimitely familiar with the game, nor have I played the original RPGs. The original does seem like something I’d really enjoy (though I’ve been spoilered in the meantime), and this new game.. Well it also does look like something I’d enjoy. As a single player RPG.. I’d love to play through the story, but I don’t see why I’d want to pay for a subscription for it. But again, I haven’t kept up with all the news on this game.

Everything ive heard on this people seem to be disapointed. Saying it originally showed a lot of promise but in the end turned out to be another WoW clone.

WOW is more advanced and developed nowadays as well. This game is not very good tech wise its alot like Warhammer in that despite coming out after WOW its quite behind wow. visually I am shocked at how bad this game looks. Also the areas are tiny compared to WOW.

Need to play more and decide but the game is very scripted at the start. Its not a bad game but its just that the MMO scene has better games.

Personally, I think the game is great. It's like a new KoToR, but with random people running around.

Actually, I probably would prefer it if the whole MMO thing was ripped out and it was a singleplayer/co-op game.

Got this game at the start of the year, I'm really loving it so far. Originally I kinda wished it was just single player, but the more I play the more I'm enjoying all the social aspects and co-op missions.

Looks like the game will be going free to play up to level 50 in a couple of months.

BioWare has announced a free to play option for Star Wars: the Old Republic coming some time this fall. The EA statement says the F2P option will allow players to take any class all the way to the current cap of level 50 “with some restrictions.” The Free-to-Play Option will be available later this fall.

The full press release states: “BioWare announced today that it will be expanding the story-driven, massively multiplayer online game Star Wars: The Old Republic by adding a new Free-to-Play option this fall. This option will give players access to each of the eight iconic Star Wars character class storylines, all the way up to level 50, with certain restrictions*. Unlimited game access, including new higher-level game content and new features, will be made available through individual purchases or through a subscription option.”

“Players want flexibility and choice. The subscription-only model presented a major barrier for a lot of people who wanted to become part of The Old Republic™ universe,” said Matthew Bromberg, GM of BioWare Austin.

Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer of Star Wars: The Old Republic added, “Since launch, we’ve been listening to feedback from our fans and adding new content and refining The Old Republic at a breakneck pace. We believe we are in a position to help improve the service even more, not only by continuing to add new content, but also by expanding the game to many more Star Wars fans, increasing the populations on worlds and the vibrancy of the community.”

Starting this fall, there will be two different ways to play Star Wars: The Old Republic:

Subscription – A service designed for players who want unrestricted access to all the game features via ongoing subscription or by redeeming a Game Time Card. In addition to gaining access to all game content as our current subscribers do now, subscribers will receive ongoing monthly grants of Cartel Coins, the new virtual currency that will be introduced later this fall. Cartel Coins can be used to purchase valuable in-game items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience.

Free-To-Play – The first 50 levels will be Free-to-Play, with restrictions on access to new content and advanced player features. Some restrictions can be “unlocked” with Cartel Coins.

As the first step towards adding the new Free-to-Play option this fall, Star Wars: The Old Republic will go on sale in August for $14.99 USD, including one-month of free subscription.”

We know that SWTOR has lost almost 25% of its subscribers since January, but remains among the top MMOs in terms of subscription numbers. Does this spell the end of the subscription-only model?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/31/star-wars-the-old-republic-going-free-to-play-with-microtransactions-this-fall/

Edited by Happenstance

Why would you be angry?

I'll definitely dive back in once it's free. I've no real interest in end-game content so the limitations don't look like they'd impact my experience much, plus I don't mind laying down a little money if it's for a feature I'll actually use.

Why would you be angry?

I'm currently a subscriber, and I usually stop with a character after I've done the class story.

Well, if you enjoyed the experience enough to pay for it at the time it's no more a waste of money than, say, buying a console game at launch rather than waiting 8 months for it to hit the bargain bins.

There are advantages to having subscribed, by the way.

I've had it since launch, few of us played but they drifted away from it

I really enjoyed the storyline, was easily the best I've encountered in a MMO but last I heard the endgame wasn't that challenging

I really enjoyed the storyline, was easily the best I've encountered in a MMO but last I heard the endgame wasn't that challenging

Seems like the free option will be a good fit for you, then.

Speaking of which, The Secret World is free to play this weekend. If you want to see an MMO with a decent story I'd definitely recommend checking it out; the writing and characterisation are excellent.

Shame the game is a turd and the stories are terrible.

Also the free to play thing is a mess in this game with everything hidden under the dlc umbrella.

I think going forward sometime if they find themselves needing to claw back more money (because let's not forget how much it cost to develop) they should strip the assets and the story missions and just plonk it out as a single player game on PS3/360.