NEurope
Daft

Fallout 3

Dwarf; yeah, for sure playing on a harder difficulty is primarily for achievements, for me. Shorty and I went through Gears 2 on hardcore on our first run through, and to be honest it removed a bit of the hardcore fun and replaced it with hardcore frustration. Mirror's edge I did on normal, but also tried to get the don't-shoot-anyone achievement which just made the game frustrating.

With Fallout, especially on your first play through, each decision you make affects the rest of the game - so a noob like me didn't select his SPECIALs very well, nor did I distribute my skill points very well so it took a lot longer than it should've done to get adequate at the game. But clearly, reducing it to a sissy girly level isn't about achievements, for there are none in the game relating to the difficulty - they're about respect from your fellow gamer :P I'm sure shorty was fairly tongue-in-cheek (considering he himself was not impartial to lowering the difficulty himself ;)), but there's still a factor of bravado in waving your Elite/Legendary/Insane/Very Hard completion badges around.

REGARDING THE ACTUAL TOPIC! Found all the behemoths, now. Not really in the mood to plug through teh game again just yet - I always get to this point where I realise the only reason I really want to play the game again is for achievements, rather than teh game itself - and that's not really a position I want to be in.

Well I see I contradicted myself a bit there, but having big guns was a great back-up for when things couldn't be handles via conventional means. I have too much ammo for big-guns tbh, so there isn't really a problem I can't handle.

So I´ve been playing on my save on hard and I´m not using instant travel *flexes bulging biceps* and I´m finding it hard to start doing quests instead of just taking walks to find stuff (like lucky´s sun glasses a headgear with +1 luck in a store called Lucky´s Store durr)

Also walking in the wasteland 5 clicks away from Megaton with 10 left in health and no healing gear: Intense!

Why not use fast-travel? The main game will take you 5 times longer if not more to complete. After any situation in low health you should go back to somewhere that guarentees you rest.

Exploring: Fun

Hidden stuff and quests: Fun

Fighting enemies knowing that you might not survive another fight on your way to a safe spot: Fun

Instant traveling shelters you too much and makes thing too easy, it does not matter how much trouble your in you can always backtrack outside and instant travel to heal, re-supply and return.

I tend to avoid fast travel as well , pretty much for the same reasons that Mundi has detailed , that sense of exploration , which may explain why I have racked up so many hours relative to the lack of any real progress.

Anyway , I have finally managed to start getting back into this and although it took a little while to pick up from where I was , it has suckered me in big time and despite my exploration , there still seems to be huge areas of the map that I need to get to so I reckon there are many more hours ahead of me.

i explored alot, but the idea of walking every were rather then fast traveling was to much. after all, id usualy have been out on wanders, seen much of the game in my travles, walking from rivit city back to megaton, a rout i had already taken, wasn't going to turn anything new up.

dont get me wrong, the real fun in the game was in finding the random hidden gems, personal highlite being the roach king, but hours of walking when the quick travel is there? i dont have that much time and im unemployed!

For me, putting the difficulty down would have made me less, for lack of a better word, better at the game. For example, if I got stuck killing a certain enemy in a certain way, I would resort to other tactics that which tended to work better (landmines against super mutants are startingly effective). Also, doing so allowed me to find out that pulse equipment is good against bots. Would not of known had I not tried almost everything in my inventory when in the bot factory.

And it's so much more fun not using the map travel. Allows you to come across areas you would have totally missed out on. Or see some hilarious sights like refugees from megaton, attacking you, then getting raped by a hidden deathclaw.

One of my best exploring moments was when I saw a some random dude running from something. So I pull out my hunting rifle and start looking around to see what dangers await. Then I see this other guy who was labeled as "Hunter". I stay there watching them for a moment, and he takes a few shots and kills the running dude. Then I talk to him, blah blah blah, he's selling meat....strange meat.

I shot him in the head and good karma for it.

One of my best exploring moments was when I saw a some random dude running from something. So I pull out my hunting rifle and start looking around to see what dangers await. Then I see this other guy who was labeled as "Hunter". I stay there watching them for a moment, and he takes a few shots and kills the running dude. Then I talk to him, blah blah blah, he's selling meat....strange meat.

I shot him in the head and good karma for it.

OMG...I bought some of that strange meat one time! It was good too! I wanted more!

Err you know that makes you a cannible right?

Well it was on my evil character and she has done a lot worse...

Although she had been gaining a bit of a conscience. After this though, its gone forever.

Err you know that makes you a cannible right?

the cannible perk is pretty amazine, nothing better when your evil then to kill and eat some poor sap.

I just started this game. It's very overwhelming at first, I didn't quite know what I was supposed to do. But that's because now I realise I get to decide what I'm supposed to do. I'm getting the hang of things and starting to like it.

I just started this game. It's very overwhelming at first, I didn't quite know what I was supposed to do. But that's because now I realise I get to decide what I'm supposed to do. I'm getting the hang of things and starting to like it.

when i first started oblivion, i was over whelmed, there was so much to do, i just picked a direction and walked, stopping any were that took my fancy eventualy got to understand what to pick up, what to leave, fallout was alot easier to get into with this background knowlage.

It takes a bit to get going until you can carry a bit more & have somewhere to store your gear.

Woop! Just got the last achievement (neutral level 20). Until the next DLC, that is.

Remaining neutral is a bit irritating. You do a mish just for the xp, say rude things and demand caps and you still get oodles of good karma, which you then have to go kill, steal and hack to get back down again....

Exploring: Fun

Hidden stuff and quests: Fun

Fighting enemies knowing that you might not survive another fight on your way to a safe spot: Fun

Instant traveling shelters you too much and makes thing too easy, it does not matter how much trouble your in you can always backtrack outside and instant travel to heal, re-supply and return.

You have to walk to any new place, so why not fast travel when you can? Leveling up etc is not an issue, you will hit level cap before you know it. Using fast travel doesn't take out wasteland wandering, it just takes out useless wasteland wandering.

eg. I want to go exploring, find a bobblehead or something. I fast travel to a place near a blank block on the map. Then use the compass to pick a direction (empty arrows are unexplored places) and wander towards one, and keep wandering til I find something interesting.

On the other hand, if I'm half dead outside rivet city and want to go home and rest/sell items, I ain't walking :heh:

Hm, I can't find this in shops around here. Is it online anywhere for say £15ish?

You have to walk to any new place, so why not fast travel when you can? Leveling up etc is not an issue, you will hit level cap before you know it. Using fast travel doesn't take out wasteland wandering, it just takes out useless wasteland wandering.

eg. I want to go exploring, find a bobblehead or something. I fast travel to a place near a blank block on the map. Then use the compass to pick a direction (empty arrows are unexplored places) and wander towards one, and keep wandering til I find something interesting.

On the other hand, if I'm half dead outside rivet city and want to go home and rest/sell items, I ain't walking :heh:

It´s in these "useless" wandering that you find the funnest stuff and killing isn't about leveling it´s about taking the bloody mess perk and exploding a dog 30 meters into the air :Þ

On my first playtrough I used fast travel a lot but at the end I felt like I was skipping a lot of stuff so I´m walking everywhere now!

TL;DR: WALKING IS FOR REAL MEN!

I do a lot of walking & exploring & found allsorts of cool stuff & places that are not on the map even when you get the perk that reveals all locations. I do use fast travel aswell though but mainly to transport all my pilfered loot to my house in Megaton or to a trader to sell ( i've got over 30,000 bottlecaps & my house is bursting at the seams with goodies ) It can take a few trips from 1 location to transport all my loot even at level 20 so fast travel is ideal for that.