NEurope
darksnowman

Halloween Games! (Warning: NOT for the faint hearted)

Its that spooky time of year, so hows about a bit of chatter about your favourite ghostly games and/ or sections of games? I'll get the ball rolling with two:

Gloomy Gulch (DKC 2)

180px-GloomyGulch.gif

Being a slight fan of the DKC games I'm gonna have to cite Gloomy Gulch of DKC 2. Consisting of levels such as Ghostly Grove, Haunted Hall, Gusty Glade and Web Woods... Gloomy Gulch is definitely the place to be for some Halloween frights! :eek:

Huantedhall.jpgWebwood.jpg

(Other Rare and DKC scares.)

The Nightmare Before Christmas: The Pumpkin King (GBA)

nightmare.jpg

Well, well, well. What have we here? I do like me some Nightmare Before Christmas, so I didn't hesitate in buying this game on GBA t'other year as soon as it released. I've been playing it again this past week, and its a fine wee game. The music is great- it heavily draws upon the film soundtrack, which is ace, and the gameplay is Metroidvania watered down just a smidgen. Its all good and how can you go wrong with playing as Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King himself, in Halloween Town at this time of year?

Brrrr...Stop & Go Station...

I remember Sandopolis Act 2. The ever-growing ghosts and the menacing sand. Stressful stuff.

I also remember the Bottom of the Well. It had INVISIBLE HOLES that made you fall to the room with HANDS STICKING OUT OF THE FLOOR. And later you had to fight that...THING WHOSE HANDS WERE STICKING OUT OF THE FLOOR.

And the ReDeads! Those things paralyzed you with the sheer sound of their piercing SCREAMS!

The Space Pirate bases in MP1 were thrilling stuff. Not very halloweeny, though.

I also bought Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin recently. Any castlevania is Halloween-themed stuff. Especially those last 4 portraits.

kingdom-heart-halloween-town.jpg

Halloween Town in Kingdom Hearts 1 definitely. :p

I loved that place, had great background music to match, too.

I also remember the Bottom of the Well. It had INVISIBLE HOLES that made you fall to the room with HANDS STICKING OUT OF THE FLOOR. And later you had to fight that...THING WHOSE HANDS WERE STICKING OUT OF THE FLOOR.

And the ReDeads! Those things paralyzed you with the sheer sound of their piercing SCREAMS!

I will second this with both the Bottom of the Well, the Sun Song tomb, and the Shadow Temple as well. I used to only be allowed to play my consoles on weekends, so come friday and saturday I would stay up well late til the wee hours, in the dark and alone, and the drip...drip...drip with eerie overtones of both the bottom of the well and the shadow temple, combined with all the invisible/shock stuff in it such as shadow crawlers and fake floors, has to have been one of the spookiest times of my life. I believe one night I had to play with the sound down, it was that bad for me(I used to have a perpetual fear of the dark until a silly age, now I revel in it).

Mad Monster Mansion (Banjo Kazooie)

ring.h1.jpg

A fantastic game throughout with a nice range of levels.. though this one doesn't quite live up to the beautifully Christmas themed Freezeezy Peak!

House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return

Dead1_682_478722a.jpg

I actually bought this a couple of months ago but have been saving it to play it at Halloween.. for some reason I enjoy games more at this time of year!

Ghostly Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy)

SMG_Pumpkin.PNG

This is still my favourite Wii game, simply awesome : peace: ..little Pumpkin Goombas for the win :heh:

Suburbia (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3)

s18185_xb_3.jpg

I think I must have played this game around Halloween one year as, for some reason, skating through Suburbia to Wish by Alien Ant Farm gives me a good feeling at this time of year.. weird..

However, I absolutely love to play the following game at any time of year.. but particularly at the end of october (when I bought it several years ago..)

1080 Snowboarding

1080%20Snowboarding%20(2).gif

I really love this game.. it will always be one of my favourite games EVER!

As for games entirely focused on scares/ creepy atmospheres:

Resident Evil (Remake)

relove.JPG

Eternal Darkness

ngc_eternal_darkness_2002.jpg

Luigi's Mansion

01.jpg

Autumn/ Halloween is my favourite time of year :smile:

"Knightmares?" Lol, funny typo. :heh:

What about Haunted Woods in Diddy Kong Racing? The music for this stage only helped to underline the spooky atmosphere of the level.

scary09.jpg

Who played Beetle Adventure Racing? It had its own Halloween themed stage in the form of Wicked Woods. Beetle is defo a game that needs to be unleashed on the VC.

ReDead.jpg

These things scare the hell out of me and definately fit in with the Halloween theme. Man that scream!

*shudders*

and the WHOLE of Resident Evil 4! That game has me on edge the whole time in fact I think that is a perfect game to bring out at Halloween. :)

In particular the Regenerators:

regen.jpg

Creepiness, these were geniunely scary expecially once you'd run out of bullets just as it dashes at you....!

The BEST halloween game is easily Shadowman on the N64. The PS1 and DC versions weren't nearly as good, but for atmosphere the only game I have EVER played since that matches it is Gears of War.

Infact, I'm gonna try and get me another copy of Shadowman for this halloween!

Ollie, if you want atmosphere check out STALKER and the System Shock games. They drip with atmosphere.

Also really you found Shadowman to be better on 64 than DC? (Everyone knows it's better than PS1 version....) Also oddly enough I was about to post Shadowman since no else had when lo and behold there you were.

Anywho...

7th Guest creepy point and click adventure in a haunted house.

Diablo series fits with halloween.

Dead Rising (come on zombies and you can dress up)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

The first few Castlevania games have tons of Halloween fodder. I had a yearly ritual of playing SCIV every year around Halloween time but looks like ill miss it this time :(

Ollie, if you want atmosphere check out STALKER and the System Shock games. They drip with atmosphere.

Also really you found Shadowman to be better on 64 than DC? (Everyone knows it's better than PS1 version....) Also oddly enough I was about to post Shadowman since no else had when lo and behold there you were.

I think I played a demo for stalker, is that the one with the little girl? On PC?

Obviously truely horrid games like Doom 3 will make you sh*t your pants but that is just because they make you jump.

Just Shadowman was/is a little gem. The music, the voice acting, it was all awesome. Maybe it's my fanboy-ism clouding my judgement over the best version but I'm sure I remember the N64 version being better.

Anyway I just bought a copy from ebay for £5 devilvered. Win.

One of my favourite "scary" games is BioShock. Also worth mentioning is Eternal Darkness and the Mad Monster Mansion level from Banjo.

I think I played a demo for stalker, is that the one with the little girl? On PC?

Obviously truely horrid games like Doom 3 will make you sh*t your pants but that is just because they make you jump.

Just Shadowman was/is a little gem. The music, the voice acting, it was all awesome. Maybe it's my fanboy-ism clouding my judgement over the best version but I'm sure I remember the N64 version being better.

Anyway I just bought a copy from ebay for £5 devilvered. Win.

No your thinking of FEAR, STALKER doesn't have a demo(or even females in the game:confused: ) and is PC only. Ages ago when it first went into development it was Oblivion Lost (like the book). It's something of a free-roaming FPS with some light RPG elements. It has been compared to Deus Ex and System Shock.

http://stalker.filefront.com/news/All_The_Screenshots_You_Could_Ever_Hope_For;14012

That's a mod site, but they have some very nice user submitted photos that show of the game. You can find decent videos in the usuall places.

Word of advice though, patch the game, they are so buggy pre-patch. Also the games run on a widerange of hardware(my friends laptop with an Intel IGP and Pentium Dual Core......aka holy crappy setup.), but they are hard on the hardware if you try to go to high settings.

I'd also suggest the first game before the second, it's cheaper and has more patches to help playability.

System Shock 2 is one of the scariest games I've ever played, and not many people know that it's actually possible to play co-op on it too, but it's supposed to be quite buggy in co-op.

I think the co-op mode was released in a patch and wasn't completely supported as the game didn't sell exceptionally well, although when me and my girlfriend played through it on our PC's I don't remember us having any problems.

Woo, my copy of Shadowman has arrived! :D The box is tatty but it's complete with manual/map/registration card. Cart looks mint too.

Can't wait to get home and poo my pants!!

Wow that first pic looks like it could pass for Lego Batman.

American McGee's Alice is a disturbing take on the classic story.

Clive Barkers........Undying (Ha you were afraid I'd say Jericho).

Blade of Darkness(chop off an arm pick it up to beat it's owner to death......nice uh? You can also throw decapitated heads :D)

American McGee's Alice is a disturbing take on the classic story.

I remember playing a bit of that and liking it, never got to play the full game tho...

The ghosty level on Paper Mario 2 on GC was actually pretty scary (well not ACTUALLY scary but was spooky..).

Oh and i dunno if others would agree but as a kid, the Ghost levels in super mario world on the SNES scared the living crap out of me..

The ghosty level on Paper Mario 2 on GC was actually pretty scary (well not ACTUALLY scary but was spooky..).

Oh and i dunno if others would agree but as a kid, the Ghost levels in super mario world on the SNES scared the living crap out of me..

I don't remember the one in PM2, but I DO remember the ghost levels and houses in SMW, it freaked me quite a bit too, it was just the music. I dunno how they manage to make such sounds that would put all my hairs on edge(and I'd usually jump when I ended up dying unexpectantly, with that abrupt deathpinch noise lol).