NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Favourite Quotes

On facebook I've gone quote mad (for my status)... I'm just always amazed by how a one sentence intelligent quote can have a very deep meaning. My favourite quote of the day is:

"In the world of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"

This can have so much meaning on so many levels. You could take it literally, yet you can expand it to a world view. Beautiful! :yay:

...Whats yours?

"I fight for my friends."

Such manliness and homo-eroticism in a sentence has never been seen before.

Nabbed directly from my Facebook:

"[it is a fallacy that] the Hedge-Hog is a mischievous animal; and particularly that he sucks cows, when they are asleep in the night, and causes their teats to be sore."

- Stephen Fovargue, A New Catalogue of Vulgar Errors (Cambridge, 1767)

"[A]lthough there is plenty of space on a gravestone to contain, bound in moss, the abridged version of a man's life, detail is always welcome."

- Vladmir Nabokov, Laughter in the Dark

"[a merchant] cam in to an hows and axed for mete and specyally he axyd after eggys. And the good wyf answerde that she coude speke no frenshe. And the merchaunt was angry for he also coude speke no frenshe, but wolde haue hadde egges and she vnderstode hym not."

- William Caxton

"To frighten off skittish academics who might be tempted to take Murakami seriously, he warns, 'Only a very few would be silly enough to get interested in deep reading.'

Alright then, let's get silly..."

- Jay Rubin, Haruki Murakami and the Music of Words

"English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark allies[sic], knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."

- Unknown IRC user

"I hear my father-in-law's response. 'oho, fine, Whiggish sentiments, Adam. But don't tell *me* about justice! Ride to Tennessee on an ass & convince the red-necks that they are merely white-washed negroes & their negroes are black-washed Whites! Sail to the Old World, tell 'em their imperial slaves' rights are as inalienable as the Queen of Belgium's! Oh, you'll grow hoarse, poor & grey in caucuses! You'll be spat on, shot at, lynched, pacified with medals, spurned by backwoodsmen! Crucified! Naive, dreaming Adam. He who would do battle with the many-headed hydra of human nature must pay a world of pain & his family must pay it along with him! & only as you gasp your dying breath shall you understand, your life amounted to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean!'

Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"

- David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

"He was beloved not for any essential ability but for those unforgettable digressions of his, when he would remove his glasses to beam at the past while massaging the lenses of the present."

- Vladmir Nabokov, Pnin

[given huge time spans] "the impossible becomes possible, the possible probable, and the probable virtually certain. One only has to wait: time itself performs the miracles."

- G. Wald, The Origin of Life, Sci. Amer.

"...showed that the male uses brushes and hooks on the penis to scrape out the sperm [of other males]. Many other delightful examples are known of male competition, but we shall not discuss them here because they do not pose deep theoretical questions."

- Mark Ridley, Evolution (2nd Ed.)

"Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in the academic realm. It is soaked with the blood of poets, theologians, philosophers, philologists, psychologists, biologists, and neurologists, along with whatever blood can be got out of grammarians."

- Russ Rymer

Come on, guys, I know we've had the thread before, but the other was dead and as far as I'm concerned, reviving old threads is frowned upon.

Albert Einstein has had so many gemstones, and some of them are also funny. These are but a few of my favourites:

• "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."
  • "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
  • "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
  • "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
  • "Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity."

Many of them can be found here. Otherwise, just Google them.

From my facebook;

ME: Yeah! I got a new toothbrush :D :D

CHRIS: nice! what model??? i am soo jealous.

ME: Just the standard Oral B UR-L4M3 model.

CHRIS: fraid it doesn't knock my Braun 5TfU-j00 Loozer model out the water then.

ME:I stand by my first comment.

/topic.

Ok, so it's not deep or anything, but shh.

ME: Yeah! I got a new toothbrush :D :D

CHRIS: nice! what model??? i am soo jealous.

ME: Just the standard Oral B UR-L4M3 model.

CHRIS: fraid it doesn't knock my Braun 5TfU-j00 Loozer model out the water then.

ME:I stand by my first comment.

That brought a tear to my eye.

Incidentally, The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations is one of the most awesome books ever. You can just scan through it and find stuff of win.

Nabbed directly from my Facebook:

"[it is a fallacy that] the Hedge-Hog is a mischievous animal; and particularly that he sucks cows, when they are asleep in the night, and causes their teats to be sore."

- Stephen Fovargue, A New Catalogue of Vulgar Errors (Cambridge, 1767)

"[A]lthough there is plenty of space on a gravestone to contain, bound in moss, the abridged version of a man's life, detail is always welcome."

- Vladmir Nabokov, Laughter in the Dark

"[a merchant] cam in to an hows and axed for mete and specyally he axyd after eggys. And the good wyf answerde that she coude speke no frenshe. And the merchaunt was angry for he also coude speke no frenshe, but wolde haue hadde egges and she vnderstode hym not."

- William Caxton

"To frighten off skittish academics who might be tempted to take Murakami seriously, he warns, 'Only a very few would be silly enough to get interested in deep reading.'

Alright then, let's get silly..."

- Jay Rubin, Haruki Murakami and the Music of Words

"English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark allies[sic], knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."

- Unknown IRC user

"I hear my father-in-law's response. 'oho, fine, Whiggish sentiments, Adam. But don't tell *me* about justice! Ride to Tennessee on an ass & convince the red-necks that they are merely white-washed negroes & their negroes are black-washed Whites! Sail to the Old World, tell 'em their imperial slaves' rights are as inalienable as the Queen of Belgium's! Oh, you'll grow hoarse, poor & grey in caucuses! You'll be spat on, shot at, lynched, pacified with medals, spurned by backwoodsmen! Crucified! Naive, dreaming Adam. He who would do battle with the many-headed hydra of human nature must pay a world of pain & his family must pay it along with him! & only as you gasp your dying breath shall you understand, your life amounted to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean!'

Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"

- David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

"He was beloved not for any essential ability but for those unforgettable digressions of his, when he would remove his glasses to beam at the past while massaging the lenses of the present."

- Vladmir Nabokov, Pnin

[given huge time spans] "the impossible becomes possible, the possible probable, and the probable virtually certain. One only has to wait: time itself performs the miracles."

- G. Wald, The Origin of Life, Sci. Amer.

"...showed that the male uses brushes and hooks on the penis to scrape out the sperm [of other males]. Many other delightful examples are known of male competition, but we shall not discuss them here because they do not pose deep theoretical questions."

- Mark Ridley, Evolution (2nd Ed.)

"Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in the academic realm. It is soaked with the blood of poets, theologians, philosophers, philologists, psychologists, biologists, and neurologists, along with whatever blood can be got out of grammarians."

- Russ Rymer

I find that one to be very interesting, but I'm struggling to get a sure meaning. Whats your interpretation of it?

I find that one to be very interesting, but I'm struggling to get a sure meaning. Whats your interpretation of it?

It's from an old book written in the 16th century which attempts to demystify popular misconceptions. Apparently at the time people genuinely thought that hedgehogs tried to suck the milk out of cows' udders at night, making the cows sore and irritable.

It's from an old book written in the 16th century which attempts to demystify popular misconceptions. Apparently at the time people genuinely thought that hedgehogs tried to suck the milk out of cows' udders at night, making the cows sore and irritable.

Oh, I see.

It says 1767 which is the 18th century.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they’ve tried everything else."- Winston Churchill

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that."- Bill Shankly

"I think this could be our best victory over Germany since the war."- John Motson

Ohhh, there's loads, but here's my favourite ones regarding history:

Historians are dangerous people.

A page of history is worth a book of mathematics.

History is littered with wars everyone knew would never happen.

History repeats itself- because no-one listens.

Expect me to be back for more- there's loads I love.

And yes, I love history.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they’ve tried everything else."- Winston Churchill

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that."- Bill Shankly

"I think this could be our best victory over Germany since the war."- John Motson

Ah ha, brilliant quotes.

Ripped from my facebook:

"Shut your mouth, you thong-wearing fatty!"

- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, 2000

"You sit there and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you nowhere!

"Talk about your Psalms, talk about your John 3:16...Austin 3:16 says 'I just whipped your ass!'."

- "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, 1996

"Listen, newbie. I'm gonna cut you down into so many pieces that my grandmother, who can complete a thousand-piece jigsaw of a clear-blue sky in less than an hour, will never be able to put you back together again. Even if she did go back in time to when her vision was perfect!"

- Dr. Perry Cox, 2001

"Perry, what has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap? Bob Kelso. How you doing?"

- Dr. Bob Kelso, 2001

"I never wanna see or hear from that scum-sucking, lying, weasel-minded smegger in my entire life!"

- Dave Lister, 1997

"That's MY bit of lager!"

- Mark Corrigan, 2003

"MEGA TSUNAMI!"

- Jez & Super Hans, 2003

"Anyone accepting defeat will be punished by running 10 laps around the school! NAKED! And you'll have to yell 'Green Martians are chasing me!' through the whole 10 laps!"

- Haruhi Suzumiya, 2006

"I don't know how I know, I just know that I know. You know."

- Itsuki Koizumi, 2006

"That ponytail you had back whenever...it looked so good it was criminal!"

- Kyon, 2006

"I CAN'T HAVE A SHITE IN PEACE HERE!"

- Jim Royle, 1998

"Man fears the darkness, so he scrapes away at the edges with fire."

- Rei Ayanami, 1997

"The guys that appear in this anime are delinquents. Please do not, under any circumstance, imitate anything they do...

...Don't do it, man. I'm serious! It's a bad idea!"

- Takashi Kamiyama, 2003

Ripped from my facebook:

You win one internet for quoting Dave Lister.

On facebook I've gone quote mad (for my status)... I'm just always amazed by how a one sentence intelligent quote can have a very deep meaning. My favourite quote of the day is:

"In the world of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"

This can have so much meaning on so many levels. You could take it literally, yet you can expand it to a world view. Beautiful! :yay:

418DJQfA3TL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Country-Blind-Pocket-Penguins-70s/dp/0141022450

Fantastic book. Only 64 pages. Read it. :smile:

One of my favourite quotes: "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear is that moment when he has worked his his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - Victorious." - Vince Lombardi

I also love the "Inch by Inch" speech by Al Pacino in Any Given Sunday. However, it's too long to quote. But I listen to it regularly as a pick me up on my MP3 player.