NEurope
Nicktendo

Assaulted at work...

So here's the deal, some guy (my colleauge) thought it would be a good idea to whack me across the face with some metal tongs tonight. Naturally he got sent home, and the incedent occured after a minor disagreement which he escaleted by saying if I din't shut up he would floor me, to which I responded "that will solve everything, hit me?" Obviously this guy has no conception of sarcasm.

I work at a large UK chain of restuarants and basically I have no rights regarding sick pay etc. I have no specific contracted hours and I'm only contracted to "business needs" which basically means they can give me as little/much as they choose. Sick pay is not offered at all. I have a fairly large gash on my face and my aunties wedding this Friday :( I am pretty upset and it occured in front of customers!

So what I want to know is, where do I stand legally. I am supposed to be leaving this Sunday and moving to a new restaurant so I find it likely that it will be swept under the carpet when I go. I am tempted to stay however to see this through but as the guy is best buddies with the Restaurant manager and the deputy manager, so I feel as though he may be made out to be the victim. What should I do, Should I walk away from my job? A part of me thinks that I need to see this through as it should not be allowed to happen in a place where I am supposed to be safe, especially from memebers of staf where a mutal respect is required to work together.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a tight situation. Would it be possible to talk to someone above the manager in this case? I'm sure something like this wouldn't be tolerated.

Sue his ass. If you're leaving anyway, make a claim, preferably now while you still have the marks. Take photos. Go to A&E if necessary to have your wounds checked out, so there's an official record for it. Contact the police and report assault at work. Don't let him get away with it, even if he is buddies with management.

If you know any of the customers/witnesses, get their contact details and ask for their support in the likely case he & other management say it never happened.

Don't really know. I'm not very trusting of any of the management there because staff turnover is so high. i.e. problems are replaced with ease. Issues that I have raised in the past have been ignored or had minimum effort in resolving them.

Sue his ass. If you're leaving anyway, make a claim, preferably now while you still have the marks. Take photos. Go to A&E if necessary to have your wounds checked out, so there's an official record for it. Contact the police and report assault at work. Don't let him get away with it, even if he is buddies with management.

If you know any of the customers/witnesses, get their contact details and ask for their support in the likely case he & other management say it never happened.

That's the problem there were no staff witnesses and I don't know any customers that saw it and it's likely that I'll never see them again :(

Don't let him know that. I think you should pursue it, otherwise it'll keep happening in the workplace.

Don't let him know that. I think you should pursue it, otherwise it'll keep happening in the workplace.

Couldn't agree more - furthermore, is there any CCTV at your workplace? Perhaps the entire event was caught on camera? My mate was assaulted the other day (though not nearly as severely as you :() and our manager stayed 2 hours extra just to make sure the police were contacted and that said customer gets his ass burned by the authority - doesn't matter how severe or how unusual it was, there's just no excuse for such behaviour in a public and professional environment.

He assaulted you. Don't fanny around with it - get the police in. Witnesses? Well you've got an injury, and it doesn't sound like the bloke denied it when the boss sent him home.

CCTV hasnt worked for months, to be honest, I would much rather sue the company. The working conditions are atrocious and the only reason it all happened is because we were under so much stress because 2 of us had to do the work of 4 or 5. Labour cuts and all that jazz...

He assaulted you. Don't fanny around with it - get the police in. Witnesses? Well you've got an injury, and it doesn't sound like the bloke denied it when the boss sent him home.

I agree, if he didn't deny it when the boss sent him home then, in a way, he's admitted it IMHO. I'd get the police involved while you can, he had no right to hit you!

if he's actually left a mark from hitting you and your boss thinks he did it enough to send him home ~ then take it as far as you can!! i'd insist that the management get the police involved... maybe working conditions had something to do with the guy snapping but that doesnt make it ok for him to do! bring him to JUSTICE!!!

....y'all have no idea how hard it is for me to resist making phoenix wright references.... >__<

hum, id probebly have lost my usualy cool demener if struck with tongs, i imagine id probebly have started a propper fight, or done the cold face, showed no pain and told him if he did it again, id break his fingers.

that said, the smart, sensible thing to do would be to make assault charges and sue the company for letting it happen. you could probebly make it a single case. if management have not proprly delt with assault on a staff member, they must be liable.

Get the Police involved, he assaulted you and caused a gash on your face so to me that see's a dismissal for him. If not, take it further up the ranks to management above store management. He will get the sack for this, violence in the workplace is not tolerated by any means. Where i work it is instant dismissal.

Take photos of the damage, go to doctor and get it on record, go to the police and report it and get some friends to lie and admit they saw it as customers. They wont remember who was in the restaurant at the time so they cant prove anything. You can say they were there for a last meal before you changed jobs.

You can easilly take this guy down. You just need to act fast before the gash heals up. But you can always add mental implications into the mix too - saying you're too afraid to go to work now as a result. Seriously dude, you can get alot of money out of this.

I agree with Jav - with the exception of lying about friends being there - you get caught out on that one and it'd just go against you.

So here's the deal, some guy (my colleauge) thought it would be a good idea to whack me across the face with some metal tongs tonight. Naturally he got sent home, and the incedent occured after a minor disagreement which he escaleted by saying if I din't shut up he would floor me, to which I responded "that will solve everything, hit me?" Obviously this guy has no conception of sarcasm.

I work at a large UK chain of restuarants and basically I have no rights regarding sick pay etc. I have no specific contracted hours and I'm only contracted to "business needs" which basically means they can give me as little/much as they choose. Sick pay is not offered at all. I have a fairly large gash on my face and my aunties wedding this Friday :( I am pretty upset and it occured in front of customers!

So what I want to know is, where do I stand legally. I am supposed to be leaving this Sunday and moving to a new restaurant so I find it likely that it will be swept under the carpet when I go. I am tempted to stay however to see this through but as the guy is best buddies with the Restaurant manager and the deputy manager, so I feel as though he may be made out to be the victim. What should I do, Should I walk away from my job? A part of me thinks that I need to see this through as it should not be allowed to happen in a place where I am supposed to be safe, especially from memebers of staf where a mutal respect is required to work together.

Thoughts?

Press charges, make sure he gets the sack, and go for compensation or get him fined. OR deck him.

pressing charges will hurt a lot more than being hit though =]

If they won't sack him, threaten with tribunal. They can't punish you for trying to get justice, let them know you know what your doing.

Should have beaten the fucker to the ground.

Thank you - especially for the first one.

I know, that's what she said ...

If people keep letting others get away with things like this then what will the world come to.

I'm confused as to what people actually learned from the start of World War II...

Or are they too busy thinking about how all Nazi's must have been "evil", and the Jews n stuff?

Well, I've ended up reporting it to the police. He's been allowed to read all the statements! :( and as I predicted he's coming back to work on Monday after I've left . I am so terribly annoyed and upset by all this. I'm considering ringing National Accident helpline as my face hurts and I was ASSURED that if I came into work tonight, nobody would talk about it, and unsurprisingly everyone did. :(