NEurope
Tellyn

Cave Story

Cave Story is a cult PC freeware title which is a hark back to the NES days of platforming games. As young Quote, you must traverse dark, dank caves, jump about and shoot things in order to free a race of rabbits from the clutches of an evil doctor who is searching in vain for a rabbit named Sue. It's much better and deeper than it sounds, and the WiiWare version is set to include lots of new and exclusive content and features. You can download the PC original for free here.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=12424

I have been playing the game on the PSP, everyone. GET THIS GAME!!!!!!!!! I am fucking serious, it's awesome!!!!! Even if I don't play it on the Wii, I am highly considering getting it just so I know I have done my part in giving money to Pixel

What? The lack of hype for this baby is criminal. It comes out on the 22nd of March! :grin:

Nicalis' blog currently has an article on artist Baz Pringle.

What? The lack of hype for this baby is criminal. It comes out on the 22nd of March! :grin:

Nicalis' blog currently has an article on artist Baz Pringle.

It's a shame since this game is easily going to be GOTY for 2010

crazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gifcrazy_kermit.gif

Gif explains my hype

It'll sell. You only need to look at the IGN Boards each Monday to see how angry those virgins are that Cave Story wasn't released.

I'd never heard of this game before today.

For anyone else like me, here's a nice little video:

What happened to the 2008 plan!!?

Edited by Retro_Link

What happened to the 2008 plan!!?

It was supposed to have come out back then, but every time it was said 'It's coming out this month' every month they said it, so I decided not to get hyped until I knew what the release date was, and now that i think Nintendo have said what the date will be, I am FUCKING HYPED!!!: peace:

I'd never heard of this game before today.

Depends where you hail from. Unless you visit IGN regularly, or, like me, are fans of 'Nicalis' and their Blog you may not have heard of them.

I'm really pumped though. The new art is stunning, and I can't wait to lay my hands on it. Anything that mixes Metroid + Megaman + Castlevania is always a good thing.

Some new art from today:

cs_cole.png

The reviews are starting to roll on in!

IGN awarded the game an 8.5/10

Cave Story is one of the best "NES" games ever made. It tells an elaborate tale full of endearing characters, fun boss fights, and satisfying weapons. The polish and tight controls are on par with what you would have found in a first-party Nintendo NES game. Delightful, whimsical, and curious, this is a game that begs to be explored.

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/107/1078862p1.html

Seriously guys, get this game.

Triple Post. C'mon people, this game needs your attention!

1up gave the game an A (aka 100%)

In short, Cave Story feels like the most amazing console game from the year 1990; that it's only now coming to console 20 years later shouldn't be held against it. On the contrary, Pixel's indie classic feels right at home amidst a screen full of Virtual Console channels. It's a must-play masterpiece for anyone who like classic action games -- or any kind of action game, really. The only real question is which will amaze you more: That this is the work of a single man, or that they actually do make 'em like this anymore.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3178453&p=44

GameInformer gave it 8.75/10 with a second look giving it a 9/10

Don’t be dissuaded by the simple throwback style – this game is deserving of a trip down memory lane, even if you’ve never walked this way before.

http://gameinformer.com/games/cave_story/b/wii/archive/2010/03/23/review.aspx

I thought I'd at least thrown in a "thanks", but obviously not. Suffice to say I'm even more excited for this than Red Steel 2! :bouncy: Looks gorgeous. I've deliberately held off from playing the freeware version to get the full effect.

With this, Lost Winds, Megaman 9/10, Contra, Castlevania, Nyx, Toki Tori and Max and the Magic Marker, Wiiware has turned out to be a lot better than I could've hoped - a 2D heaven, with 'retro' and 'innovation' in equal portions. :love:

Do we have a date yet for this side of the pond?

I heard a rumour that there's been a few issues in it that they're wanting to fix before the PAL release (and patch for the NA release).

I'm cautiously curious about Cave Story. I don't know much about it from a gameplay standpoint- all I'd heard was its a sort of Metroid-type thing which doesn't really set my imagination alight. :heh:

Do we have a date yet for this side of the pond?

Seeing as the USA got it on Monday, I expected it would be our turn this weekend?

EDIT:

GT Review

Story: 8.8

Design: 8.5

Gameplay: 9.0

Presentation: 8.1

Overall: 8.7

Originally Posted by GT

It evokes classic Metroid without the massive backtracking.

Sweet! :yay:

Cave Story is brilliant. :grin: I played a lot of it on my computer!

I didn't expect it to me so big, such a massive game for something that's free. (on the computer)

I shall definitely buy this when I get my Wii back from Uni. :)

Cave Story hits #1 on Wii Shop Channel Top 20!

*pic*

Now, it must stay in number one spot for all eternity xD

Anyone played Cave Story on Wiiware who also played the freeware PC game at some point?

I've already completed the game on PC so I'm not sure if (aside from the graphical upgrade) there's any reason to buy the game?

Anyone played Cave Story on Wiiware who also played the freeware PC game at some point?

I've already completed the game on PC so I'm not sure if (aside from the graphical upgrade) there's any reason to buy the game?

The WiiWare verison has new character designs, revamped music, fixed English localization, playable Curly Brace and several exclusive gameplay modes, including Boss Rush, a Sanctuary Time Attack mode.

vr8rk5.png

Currently playing it on my pc (with a pad) and looks awesome...

I'm considering the wiiware version, although it should be cheaper