NEurope
Hero-of-Time

"New Play Control" Games!

I really have hopes for a Metroid Prime boxset now! And TWW of course.

I'm not as much excited about Pikmin as I am about DK: Jungle Beat. It's the most commercially underrated game on GameCube, it's really one of the console's classic games.

Hopefully they'll do more than just add Wiimote controls, but also use some of the Wii's power to sharpen up the graphics and give us widescreen. Shouldn't be too hard if they're revamping the controls already.

Hopefully third parties will also be able to be part of this line. F-Zero GX and Star Wars: Rogue Leader would be great with the Wiimote.

Interesting... funnily enough the first Pikmin and DK: Jungle Beat are two games I don't own.

Same for me. I'm happy those two games has been selected.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/915/915529p1.html

First Look: Wii de Asobu Pikmin

The GameCube version upped to Wii spec.

US, October 2, 2008 - Pikmin is coming to the Wii! Hoo-ray!

But wait, fans of Miyamoto-style gardening. The Pikmin Wii whose first screenshot you'll find in our media gallery below is actually just the GameCube version upped a bit to Wii spec.

Pikmin is just one game in Nintendo's new Wii De Asobu Selection lineup, which translates to "Play on the Wii Selection." This series will consist of GameCube games updated with Wiimote controls.

Seven titles are currently on the way for the lineup. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat kicks things off on December 11, and will be followed by Pikmin on December 25. In 2009, Nintendo plans on releasing Chibi Robo!, Pikmin 2, Mario Tennis GC, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Prime 2 Dark Echoes.

These titles will be offered at budget pricing. While we're not sure just yet of the prices for all the games, Pikmin will sell for 3,800 yen, making it 2,000 yen less than your typical first part Wii title.

So it's not quite Pikmin Wii to be sure, but at least it's Pikmin running on the Wii! Get your first look in our media gallery.

first-look-wii-de-asobu-pikmin-20081002045120107_640w.jpg

Pikmin looks identicle, so maybe we can't expect any grapical updates, just Wii controls?

Hmm... it's not a great selection of games!

Mario Tennis wasn't meant to be all that great on GC was it; hope Mario Golf follows soon after!

I dunno how I feel about it. Sure it'll be cool to pick up games you don't own, but for the likes of MP/MP2, I don't want to buy the same again just because it has different controls...

I would probably re-buy MP1 and 2, and possibly Chibi-Robo.

version upped a bit to Wii spec.

Are they adding widescreen resolution to the games?

I wouldn't count a lot on Wii controls, just repackaged games so that people get the chance to play GC games. At least that way I don't spend money ;_;

Metroid Prime will be hard to translate to the Wiimote, they'll have to adjust large parts of the game. Either that, or the controls won't be like MP3 at all...

What I'd like to see:

1st Party:

Metroid Prime 1 & 2

Pikmen 1 & 2

3rd Party:

MGS:TTS

The only differences will probably be widescreen and support for Wiimote and nunchuck. The games are basically for those who missed these games last generation.

Looking at the Japanese prices I would guess around £25 in Europe.

I think it'll end up being £20. First party Wii games are £30, no point re-releasing old games for just a fiver less. Pluss £20 is the budget title price for games just now.

Hopefully it will be £20 rrp which means we should be able to pick them up for £15 online. Anymore then this is a wasted idea. Not much needs to be done anyway - map controls to wiimote and 'chuck, add 480p, add widescreen.

I wouldn't expect full Wii controls in any of these games tbh. Possibly some waggle but even then I think it would only be to replace a button press.

That said, I could be wrong. They've chosen some games where full wiimote controls would be a selling point - stuff like MP1+2 and Mario Tennis jump out especially.

For 3rd party titles, yeah. 1st party RRP is £35 in store £30 online, budget games cost £19.99, like Endless Ocean and Big Brain Academy. Also 3,800 yen is around the £20 mark.

I'm glad they're re-releasing Jungle Beat, as I thought it looked great but I didn't like banging the bongos.

The Metroid Prime games could be greatly improved if they were tweaked and simplified (all secret areas and upgrades marked on the map; stacked weapons, automatic visors etc).

Wind Waker is my favourite game and I'd find a remake hard to resist if it improved it in any way. I must admit, I've had my fill of Pikmin, but that's just me.

Mario Tennis + Wii Motion Plus = Win

With power shots turned off, of course.

Will they throw in some online or is that a stretch too far...?

are we seeing widescreen support? That Pikmin picture seems a little more oblong that Cube.

Surely, a wireless bongo set would be great. Restart the brilliant Konga series!

This is great news, so many people missed out on so many geat games because of the bad sales of the cube, this is awesome news. Nintendo seems to have got everything right at their press conference.

I be getting DK: Jungle Beat and I hope Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are pack together

I'm glad they're re-releasing Jungle Beat, as I thought it looked great but I didn't like banging the bongos.

Jungle Beat was one of my favourite games on the GameCube - I'd be shocked if waggling the Wii controller works as well as banging the bongos. Just look at what happened to DK Jet Race (or whatever it was called here) when they took the bongo support out - apparently it just didn't feel right. Besides, in a game like Jungle Beat, where you're flying through the air and rebounding of walls and vines, the controls need to be spot on, which I don't believe the Wiimote waggle can currently manage. I'd urge anyone to buy the GC version over this.