NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Diageo

Site doesnt work on firefox?

I made a website, the one in my sig, and the format doesnt work on firefox, it works on chrome and IE 8 but not on firefox. It works on firefox when i open the page from my file, which has basically the same code. I think it might be freewebs doing something.

Can anyone help?

Nevermind, it was just freewebs. I found a much better one and it works fine.

Well since you're looking for feedback. Your site is a waste of time and you should stop updating it.

Your writing isn't particularly good although I've seen worse.

The layout is simply ugly, unintuitive and the font is horrendous and unprofessional.

It is inconsistent.

It offers nothing new.

You will get bored and stop updating it in about a week.

You would be better off starting a blog and just writing personal game reviews and comments on news articles for yourself, over time you will see your writing improve until one day you can actually contribute something worthwhile.

He makes a few valid points. Improve your writing and it'll come out better. But the look of your site is just so... nineties. With less work you can make something better - just lay of the Photoshop 'bleding options', don't ever use courier again and use a more standard font that isn't that wide. Courier is easy on the eyes, but also soar on the eyes because it doesn't look good.

The blue color scheme is too much and people don't like to read on any color but white. integrate more white, make the menu prettier (or just make it simple - take a gander at postcardofapainting.com , it's simple, I'm sure you can make it, and it looks amazing).

Try to use more white, brighter blues (going much more to Cyan and less mixed with white and black). My advice with colors is - if you're in Photoshop's Color Picker - never take a color that is not on the uttermost right of the color field. Other colors (wich have more white or black added to it) look simply ugly and are not usefull. Also try to keep it simple (KISS - KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID) and easier to find out. Take a look at some websites to see what works and what doesn't. Big images on your frontpage work, but tiny ones make it look ugly.

Have a look at ninyou.nl , planc.be , zazazsu.be , the new CVG, the improved IGN, Nintendo of Europe's (or America's) website, and one more thing: get that counter off your website, because counters (certainly if they're external ones) never fit in with the look of your site and they make your site look cheap.

These are just general tips. I wouldn't recommend making a static blog - do what you want to do. Keep on trying, but keep a lot of aspects in mind, I mentioned a few, but usability, the use of space (your site is too spatious), the aligment of your text (left reads great, middle makes it hard to get to the next line (since they'll vary) and right will be annoying to users). Use typography on a good way and make your own logo - don't use Nintendo's and paste 'time' on it. Get a copy of Photoshop and don't use any effects - just simple squares, bright colors and as little pages as necessary will make your site simple but great.

Keep on trying and if you want, I'de like to give you tips along the way.

Well since you're looking for feedback. Your site is a waste of time and you should stop updating it.

That's a bit vicious. I don't think it is a waste of time for many reasons.

Your writing isn't particularly good although I've seen worse.

The layout is simply ugly, unintuitive and the font is horrendous and unprofessional.

I know the writing is far from good but I think it's a good way to learn to get better.

It is inconsistent.

Could you expand on this?

It offers nothing new.

You will get bored and stop updating it in about a week.

Well my friends were always going on about how there's no good games for the Wii, so I decided to make a site primarily to inform them in a simple way. So if other people want to use it it's a bonus.

You would be better off starting a blog and just writing personal game reviews and comments on news articles for yourself, over time you will see your writing improve until one day you can actually contribute something worthwhile.

I rather make a website because I want my website skills to get better. This is more of a project/hobby than an actual place for the world to get their gaming news. In this way i think it makes it worthwhile.

He makes a few valid points. Improve your writing and it'll come out better. But the look of your site is just so... nineties. With less work you can make something better - just lay of the Photoshop 'bleding options', don't ever use courier again and use a more standard font that isn't that wide. Courier is easy on the eyes, but also soar on the eyes because it doesn't look good.

I am trying to improve my writing, that's why I'm taking up hobbies like these. And I will try harder, thanks..

With the font I'll try it out as arial as people don't like courier new.

The blue color scheme is too much and people don't like to read on any color but white. integrate more white, make the menu prettier (or just make it simple - take a gander at postcardofapainting.com , it's simple, I'm sure you can make it, and it looks amazing).

I'm not very good at making websites yet so the whole menu was the best I could do.

I will look at that website and see if anything looks good, but I want to learn how to make a website more than just copy a template.

Try to use more white, brighter blues (going much more to Cyan and less mixed with white and black). My advice with colors is - if you're in Photoshop's Color Picker - never take a color that is not on the uttermost right of the color field. Other colors (wich have more white or black added to it) look simply ugly and are not usefull. Also try to keep it simple (KISS - KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID) and easier to find out. Take a look at some websites to see what works and what doesn't. Big images on your frontpage work, but tiny ones make it look ugly.

Im not trying to make a website like IGN and wouldn't be able to if I wanted but I get what you mean and will try to improve there.

Have a look at ninyou.nl , planc.be , zazazsu.be , the new CVG, the improved IGN, Nintendo of Europe's (or America's) website, and one more thing: get that counter off your website, because counters (certainly if they're external ones) never fit in with the look of your site and they make your site look cheap.

I'll get rid of the counter, it just keeps statistics, which i like but I'll try to make it invisible.

These are just general tips. I wouldn't recommend making a static blog - do what you want to do. Keep on trying, but keep a lot of aspects in mind, I mentioned a few, but usability, the use of space (your site is too spatious), the aligment of your text (left reads great, middle makes it hard to get to the next line (since they'll vary) and right will be annoying to users). Use typography on a good way and make your own logo - don't use Nintendo's and paste 'time' on it. Get a copy of Photoshop and don't use any effects - just simple squares, bright colors and as little pages as necessary will make your site simple but great.

Keep on trying and if you want, I'de like to give you tips along the way.

This site is also a way to become better on photoshop too, which I am also a beginner on. So to make my own logo will take a while, but I will try to make one over time.

Again with the space problem, there's a lot of things I wanna do but don't have the HTML/CSS skills to do.

And the more tips the better. Thanks for the feedback.

You don't need the skills, just try to keep things simple. Don't try to imitate things you can't imitate (I mean, don't make an IGN because you (sorry) will fail, because that design takes time and consideration and has evolved from a very different beast). What I meant (certainly with my examples) is that what you should do is look more closely and then try to imitate it - at first. Try to copy something you think is cool, and solve the problems on the way. If you solve them in your own way, you will make your own things inspired by what you wanted to copy. And really, the best tip I can give you, look closer. Think about how other designers handled certain problems and try to find out why they did this. This way you'll learn much more than just doing your thing and using quicker solutions.

And keep trying. Really. But don't try to do things you're not up to. That's why I told you about postcardofapainting.com - this guy is a professional designer! Yet I'm sure you could make his website without a doubt. However, he came up with this simple website, so coming up with a good idea is half the thing! (And another thing I wanted to say with that site is that simple can be great, so first try simple and then enhance your site piece by piece, keeping everything looking just as tidy).

Good Luck.

The thing is i can see how to make a better format, i just don't know what HTML code to put in. I need a place to learn better html and css.

I didn't like that yellow website at all, no matter how simple it is.

If i try to look at other sites in the page source then i get really confused and don't understand a thing. So i want to evolve bits over time and look at some tutorials.

I thought the design i had was as simple as could be.

Anyway thanks for feedback. It's great the way at least someone comments out of the 18 people that visited the site so far.

Uhm, have you clicked further than the initial yellow page? Because it gets better after that.

SImplicity is still not easy to make, so keep trying. Simplicity is complex - because the simpler your site, the more you need to ask yourself about typography, text aligment, images and everything else. Here's (another, sigh) tip: start out with a piece of paper and ue that before you go digital. It will improve the looks of your site. Good Luck, again. (Now I'll quit with all that advice, I just wanted to help)

Sign in to follow this