NEurope
Dante

DS/DSi General Discussion

can anyone please test my black smear problem, on theres?

load up the web browsers, get a page like yahoo, where there is white bckground and black/ dark text,

then move the screen around with the stylus and see if the blacks leave a smeary trail? when moving? im real worried i got a faulty one here,

can anyone please test my black smear problem, on theres?

load up the web browsers, get a page like yahoo, where there is white bckground and black/ dark text,

then move the screen around with the stylus and see if the blacks leave a smeary trail? when moving? im real worried i got a faulty one here,

I'm on the DSi Browser now and if I move the box around black text fast enough it does leave a short black trail noticable for a few milliseconds after movement.

Don't worry, PSP 1000 and 2000 have a bit of ghosting, the 3000 screen tried to rectify it and ended up having scan lines display instead.

Anyway, as long as there aren't permeanant big black splodges on your screen, don't worry about it.

Hope I've helped. Will you do me a favour and check if your left hinge clicks up and down slightly when pushed/pulled?

Well I caved on Monday and my DSi arrived today along with Super Princess Peach ( been after that for AGES )

Frak. The customs got my DSi :( They called me today at work and wanted me to mail them the reciept. That's another 36 punds to pay and I won't get it before after Easter.

Edited by Tales

I should finally be getting one of these beasts tomorrow, reserved the last one in my local Argos, will either get one from there or Game if they have some too, can't wait, I just hope I don't get a unit with a dead pixel or something.

Edit

DSi get! :)

Wheres the flick book game? Is it not out yet?

If you mean 'Moving Memo' or w/e it's called, it's not out yet. :/

Folks, I was curious to know what people's in depth feedback was on their DSis thus far? Is it a worthy investment and should I be trading my Lite in for it? I'm particularly interested in the Web Browser and the Music Player. How good are they? With the music player, can one listen to music with the DSi closed?

I've found that i've gone back and played a lot of my old DS games. The web browser is basically useless for most things. The DSi only has 16mb of ram and usually cannot load an entire page without running out of it. The music player can be played with the lid closed, but only if you have headphones in. But seriously, who has .m4a/.mp4 music?

I've found that i've gone back and played a lot of my old DS games. The web browser is basically useless for most things. The DSi only has 16mb of ram and usually cannot load an entire page without running out of it. The music player can be played with the lid closed, but only if you have headphones in. But seriously, who has .m4a/.mp4 music?

Yeah the lack of MP3 support is a bit of a kick in the balls...

Is there a way they could change that? because that would definately tempt me.

No. Its very doubtful.

MP3 isn't an open format, unless you go open source with your product. So you have to pay rights to use the format if you're charging someone to use your device.

MP4 isn't like that. Why do you think Apple use it for all their music? ;)

So, if I were to take my DSi to uni, or out to town and felt like browsing the web, it'd be a painful experience? I imagine most of the time I'd either be visiting this site or google news.

MP4 isn't like that. Why do you think Apple use it for all their music? ;)

Am I right in thinking then, that I can use any music file that has been converted to a format that is playable on an iPod, on my DSi? If so, then thats not too bad, still would have preferred mp3 support but hey, it's not like I was planning on using the DSi as my primary portable music player so it's no big deal. :)

Edit,

Just been messing about with the DSi, it's pretty fun, using my 8GB SDHC card with it now, odd though because I would have thought I would need to format it on my PC before use - I'm sure that's the case with most things - but it works out of the box which is nice :) according to the DSi, 8GB is enough for 3000 photos, though I shan't ever store that many on it. :P

Am I right in thinking then, that I can use any music file that has been converted to a format that is playable on an iPod, on my DSi? If so, then thats not too bad, still would have preferred mp3 support but hey, it's not like I was planning on using the DSi as my primary portable music player so it's no big deal. :)
Pretty much.

Just use iTunes to convert to .m4a and you can't go wrong:

Yeah I used iTunes too, works like a charm. Plus you can just set-up a batch conversion of all your MP3s with a few clicks and then leave it to it. The .m4a format is also pretty sweet as the quality remains the same (supposedly even better if you're converting from an uncompressed source) but the file sizes are smaller. icon14.gif
: peace:

Pretty much.

Just use iTunes to convert to .m4a and you can't go wrong:

: peace:

Nice, I allready have a load of .m4a music files, so I could easily see myself using my DSi from time to time for the odd 'choon' :) just found out I need to get myself a SDHC card reader though for my PC as my SD slot doesn't accept them, just as well that the card required no formatting upon putting it into my DSi. : peace:

Just found out you can't see photos you put on your SD Card in the photo channel. Kinda sucked since I had some good ones I wanted on the DSi.

C'mans homebrew, show us why you're awesome :heh:

Just found out you can't see photos you put on your SD Card in the photo channel. Kinda sucked since I had some good ones I wanted on the DSi.

C'mans homebrew, show us why you're awesome :heh:

Eh? Of course you can. They're simple JPG files...

That's what I thought aswell, but turns out you can't. Can only view pictures taken on the DSi that have been moved to SD Card and deleted from the DSi. Then I read you couldn't in the instructions either.

I've noticed that on white screens, my bottom screen looks slightly yellow and doesn't match the same colour as the top screen, is this normal? It's pretty noticable when you turn it on or when returning to the menu screen.

I've noticed that on white screens, my bottom screen looks slightly yellow and doesn't match the same colour as the top screen, is this normal? It's pretty noticable when you turn it on or when returning to the menu screen.

Can't say I've noticed that, post a pic of your DSi screens maybe? as that sounds most odd.

Can't say I've noticed that, post a pic of your DSi screens maybe? as that sounds most odd.

I tried but it's hard to see. I asked my Sister and she said the screen looked yellow as well.

I tried but it's hard to see. I asked my Sister and she said the screen looked yellow as well.

This happened to a lot of Lites. It isn't a fault as such but it isn't normal.

This happened to a lot of Lites. It isn't a fault as such but it isn't normal.

I google'd it and some people are reporting the same thing with their DSI's. Some people even said it went away after a while, is that possible?

I google'd it and some people are reporting the same thing with their DSI's. Some people even said it went away after a while, is that possible?

Unfortunately, I have no idea.

Do different brightness levels not make it less noticable? I usually keep mine on medium or lower, because there's a light leak at the top right of the touch screen.