NEurope
Dante

DS/DSi General Discussion

I'm expecting it to be around £100 like the DSlite just now, the price in Japan equates to that amount, but lets see if they'll just end up blowing the price up :heh:

Games are also about £20 or less over there, aren't they? We'll get screwed over by tax, and then the "it's Europe, so let's stick on an extra £10/£20" imaginary tax.

Over there it's normally $29.99-$39.99 plus some VAT so it ends up being a few pounds cheaper.

You never know, maybe NoE will cut us some slack... :blank:

I hope it is about £100! - I didn't really think about the price, it sounds about right though, I wonder what games they'll put into packages with it?! I can't remember what I got with my ds :confused:

I'm hoping they might stick a package up on the NoE star catalogue like they did with the NDS at somepoint to get it a tad earlier and some games with it.

For me the only thing that is appealing is the dsware thing but im not going to throw nintendo more of my money just so i have a new way for me to give them even more money.

Bad news!

Nintendo: DSi Software Will Be Region-Locked

Nintendo: DSi Software Will Be Region-Locked Nintendo now says that software released specifically for the DSi will be region-locked, restricting gamers from downloading and loading games intended for other regions.

"DSi is region locked because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself, and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region," said a statement given to UK consumer website CVG.

The statement reasons that region-locking its upcoming DS hardware upgrade is necessary as the new system will feature parental control features which will be dependent on each region's unique age limit.

The DSi, however, will be able to play standard Nintendo software from any region, similar to the original Nintendo DS model and the Nintendo DS Lite. Users will also be able to browse the Internet on their DSi from anywhere in there world and exchange photos with friends in other countries.

The statement runs contrary to recent comments from Nintendo of America's Sales and Marketing EVP Cammie Dunaway, who told Wired's GameLife blog, "I believe that just as you can currently buy a DS in Japan and use it here in the U.S., that you should be able to do that with DSi... I carry around my Ice Blue DS because I like the color, and I could find it in Japan and couldn’t find it here."

Further demonstrating the company's uncertainty over the DSi's region-lockout status, when asked by G4TV whether the forthcoming handheld will be able to play titles from other countries, NOA COO and president Reggie Fils-Aimé said, "To be honest I don’t know for sure, I will look into it."

According to recent indications from the company, the Nintendo DSi will launch on November 1st in Japan, after April 2009 in the U.S., in spring 2009 in Europe, and in the second half of 2009 in Australia.

www.gamasutra.com

Was waiting for you to post this so I could comment :P

I honestly don't see the surprise, you expected to be able to download Japanese content to and American DS and so forth? It's just like XBLA, WiiWare, VC, etc... each region has its downloads.

Bad news!

Nintendo: DSi Software Will Be Region-Locked

Nintendo: DSi Software Will Be Region-Locked Nintendo now says that software released specifically for the DSi will be region-locked, restricting gamers from downloading and loading games intended for other regions.

"DSi is region locked because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself, and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region," said a statement given to UK consumer website CVG.

The statement reasons that region-locking its upcoming DS hardware upgrade is necessary as the new system will feature parental control features which will be dependent on each region's unique age limit.

The DSi, however, will be able to play standard Nintendo software from any region, similar to the original Nintendo DS model and the Nintendo DS Lite. Users will also be able to browse the Internet on their DSi from anywhere in there world and exchange photos with friends in other countries.

The statement runs contrary to recent comments from Nintendo of America's Sales and Marketing EVP Cammie Dunaway, who told Wired's GameLife blog, "I believe that just as you can currently buy a DS in Japan and use it here in the U.S., that you should be able to do that with DSi... I carry around my Ice Blue DS because I like the color, and I could find it in Japan and couldn’t find it here."

Further demonstrating the company's uncertainty over the DSi's region-lockout status, when asked by G4TV whether the forthcoming handheld will be able to play titles from other countries, NOA COO and president Reggie Fils-Aimé said, "To be honest I don’t know for sure, I will look into it."

According to recent indications from the company, the Nintendo DSi will launch on November 1st in Japan, after April 2009 in the U.S., in spring 2009 in Europe, and in the second half of 2009 in Australia.

www.gamasutra.com

I wouldn't be surprised if hackers found a way around this.

Too bad I only thought of this after I pre-ordered :P. Oh well, as long as I'm able to get the service of one region. I hope you'll be able to set your DSi to Europe though, so I can get the European service, but as the Wii & Nintendo shop don't work that way, I doubt the DSi will. Again, as long as I'm able to get the Japanese service, I don't mind.

Was waiting for you to post this so I could comment :P

I honestly don't see the surprise, you expected to be able to download Japanese content to and American DS and so forth? It's just like XBLA, WiiWare, VC, etc... each region has its downloads.

Like you I not sure why people are making a big deal about this as it was 99% sure that the online side of things would be region specific.

I very much doubt importers will have any problems accessing the Japanese shop.

Seems it's just for online like I already thought would happen. No big deal anyway.

Importers will be able to access the Japanese DSWare service, just don't be surprised if there's no English option. This happens with every digital distribution service - you can't get Japanese and American WiiWare and Virtual Console games, otherwise we wouldn't be pining over certain region exclusives.

Hmm, the article on the frontpage now mentions DSi specific games (card-based games mind) will also be regionlocked from now on.. That's not good, that's bad. Allthough I never imported much myself, I was happy to have the option.. Now my import pre-order is 100% justified, the ability to easily import Japanese games far outweighs the disadvantages for me. But it also means a required EU device for the EU games..

IGN also mentiones the DSi uses a different AC adapter, good to know in advance.

Do I make the most of being in Japan at the time of release and buy it? I was certain that I would until hearing of this region lock.

Opera Interview:

7. Let's come to the Nintendo Wii, can you tell us which channels, apart from the Internet Channel are powered by Opera?

That's in a way a question that Nintendo would be able to answer. We're doing a fair amount of work on the Wii -- but, Nintendo would have to comment on that in particular -- and at the moment they would not like us to comment on this. Widgets are a part of our current solution on the Wii. The Internet channel supports Opera widgets.

8. The Nintendo DSi has Opera embedded. The DS Lite had Opera as a separate cart which came with additional RAM. Does that mean that the DSi has more RAM than the DS Lite?

Yes, the DSi has more RAM than the DS Lite. In addition, with integrated Opera coming with the DSi, it will use RAM more efficiently.

9. How has the experience been, working with Nintendo? Who approached whom in this relationship first?

Working with Nintendo was fun. They are a company that emphasizes on simplicity and is very user-centric. We wanted to have good features which the Wii users could benefit of. The final outcome was pleasing to both of us and they were the ones who took the first step in approaching us. We are happy the way it has turned out to be. For us working with them was a very good experience.

What a huge load of rip off bullshit.

Everything you don't want/need:

Camera

Smaller

Web Browser

SD Slot

New Charger

Everything you do want/need has been taken out:

Region Locked

GBA Slot: Needed for some games

Backwards Compatability

Old GBA Charger (taken out for Lite, but still)

It's a bigger rip off than an iPod.

Region Locked

Just to be clear, the DSi is not region-locked. You will still be able to play DS games on it from other regions, the only thing is you'll just be able to download DSWare games from the servers of the DSi's country of origin (e.g. if you buy a Japanese DS, you can access the Japanese DSWare store but not the European or US stores).

I'm guessing that the DSi would be £129.99 at the most expensive. Nintendo are touting the DSi to be their new "3rd pillar" which is an excuse not to lower the DSlite's price so I doubt the DSi will be £100 in the UK :P

Smaller

The DSi is 137mm X 74.9mm X 18.9mm.

The DS Lite is 133mm X 73.9mm X 21.5mm.

Apart from being slightly thinner the DSi is actually bigger.

Now this is interesting, if a little confusing;

thumb_kh101008.jpg

One little piece of paper causing so much confusion. You know how the story goes…this guy got it from that guy, and then he gave it to this guy…and so on. None of that matters though, as it’s all just a rumor. One half of the rumor sounds like the real deal, while the other makes no sense.

Part one of the rumor states that a Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days DSi bundle is in the works. That would make perfect sense, and would definitely cause quite a buzz with the public. The second rumor says that a bundle package will include the GBA Chain of Memories, and a DSi unit that is GBA compatible. Now…that one doesn’t make any sense at all!

link

I highly doubt that Nintendo would release another DSi unit with the GBA slot just for a bundle, and putting two, one with and one without, onto the market both at once would be confusing as heck.

I reckon, chances are Chain of Memories would be one of the first GBA downloadable titles for the DSi, and this bundle would include it in the handheld's memory. :awesome:

I reckon, chances are Chain of Memories would be one of the first GBA downloadable titles for the DSi, and this bundle would include it in the handheld's memory. :awesome:

Yeah I was going to say that it'll probably be bundled on an SD card. Anyway, the Kingdom Hearts DSi bundle should really get the Japanese buying the console.