NEurope
Dante

DS/DSi General Discussion

From Eurogamer

Nintendo has said it is "aiming" to launch the new DSi handheld in Europe next year.

As announced earlier today, the DSi - which features bigger screens and a built-in camera - will be released in Japan on November 1st.

"We are aiming to launch DSi in Europe in Spring 2009," a spokesperson told Eurogamer.

"As it's too early to confirm specifics on the European or UK launch, we will not be offering further comment at this time," he added.

The representative did not give any indication of a European price point for the DSi. In Japan, the handheld will cost JPY 18,900 (GBP 100 / EUR 130).

Since I only have a combat-hardened(in my combat vest, absorbing recoil, being drenched in snow and dirt half my military service) OLD DS, I might buy this. I always regret not having my camera with me and the MP3 playback on my cellphone isn't that good.

Am I right in thinking this has 2 touch screens thats madness.....it effectively splits the market well so does the DS store.

I can't see it happening.. but I would really prefer the option to buy something for the DS Lite that would insert into the GBA slot that would house an SD card and a camera (the cartridge would have to sit out a little anyway in order to fit an SD card in.. so the lens could be behind the cartridge). I would also like it to include the Opera browser..

I really don't want to have to buy a new DS, especially since I would not be trading in my DS Lite due to the DSi not having a GBA slot..

I will be very disappointed if there is no alternative, but I fear that will be the case..

i don't see the point of it as an mp3 player really. i mean, it's not exactly something to listen to while walking around town.

I'm thinking you can use it in place of a game's soundtrack.

Am I right in thinking this has 2 touch screens thats madness.....it effectively splits the market well so does the DS store.

Nope, that was fake reporting on IGN's part.

i don't see the point of it as an mp3 player really. i mean, it's not exactly something to listen to while walking around town.

Only time i'd ever use it is on a bus or something. Kinda sucked it couldn't play video files.

It wasn't just IGN that slipped up though about the 2 split screens, a few sites reported that, though IGN said this was only for Japan.

Same here, same with a camera really. I don't see why all these companies are trying to make technological Swiss army knives of everything.

This was hilarious...

dsiwr1.jpg

What the hell is it though? :heh:

Anyway, I was surprised with just how similar the DSi looks compared to the Lite at first, but obviously the new features more than make up for that.

Loving what they've done with the interface, making it more like Wii.

And is that an Excitebike graphic equalizer during music playback?:

dsi2ky5.jpg

Genius. :bowdown:

I will pre-order japanese version ASAP. the MP3 player does not interest and the camera is pointless. 0.3 megapixel is really bad!

DSWare is why I am buying this baby!!

I will pre-order japanese version ASAP. the MP3 player does not interest and the camera is pointless. 0.3 megapixel is really bad!

Surely the reason the camera is so limited is so that it can be used like a web-cam, eye-toy, or the pocket camera on the original GB. I.e. a gameplay accessory and a bit of a laugh rather than a serious alternative for taking photos?

After all it won't have a flash either (clearly) and so it would be redundant as a serious camera.

Having said that, it alone would not be reason enough to get the new DS.

I also want to listen to music as I play. Hopefully the coin has dropped for Nintendo (after the feature was not included as standard for the Wii.

Its 3 MP not 0.3.

Thats only 0.2 MP less than my dedicated camera, so that almost justifies the upgrade for me right there.

The built in Web Browser will be nice, since I've been looking for a portable web browser for a while now.

The DS Ware thing sounds good, I hope they make GB and GBC maybe GBA games available through this.

Music playback will be nice, but at the end of the day, I'd rather just use my iPod.

Its 3 MP not 0.3.

Thats only 0.2 MP less than my dedicated camera, so that almost justifies the upgrade for me right there.

The built in Web Browser will be nice, since I've been looking for a portable web browser for a while now.

The DS Ware thing sounds good, I hope they make GB and GBC maybe GBA games available through this.

Music playback will be nice, but at the end of the day, I'd rather just use my iPod.

are you sure. I read 0.3!

Also how does the new tony hawks game work on DS. was that using the GBA slot for the motion sensor stuff?

Guitar Hero just became a finished franchise on DS.

I haven't gone through all the news yet, but are they releasing DSi compatable only games? I really want the new WarioWare game.

I'm satisfied, I was afraid this would turn into another DSL that I would need to buy pronto or something that would make DS obsolete, like 2 touch screens or tilt, this way it's like micro, a cool gadget for a specific market segment. I'll buy it eventually though :P

I haven't gone through all the news yet, but are they releasing DSi compatable only games? I really want the new WarioWare game.

They would never do that! it would be bang out of order if they did to be honest..

Its 3 MP not 0.3.

It's 0.3MP as far as i'm aware. Though it seems there's a camera on the outside and inside.

are you sure. I read 0.3!

Also how does the new tony hawks game work on DS. was that using the GBA slot for the motion sensor stuff?

Guitar Hero just became a finished franchise on DS.

It's 0.3MP as far as i'm aware. Though it seems there's a camera on the outside and inside.

I'm sure I read 3. If it is 0.3, the news article on the main site is wrong.

Edit: IGN says 0.3, darn.

I think there was one company a while back who said they had made a gyro-sensor that could fit inside a DS card. I'm sure activision is quite mad at Nintendo now though, TH (I think this was activision) and GH both possibly.

I read on Gonintendo that the back camera is 3MP and the front camera is 0.3MP. Not sure if that's right though.

I read on Gonintendo that the back camera is 3MP and the front camera is 0.3MP. Not sure if that's right though.

Hmm, perhaps thats what it is then. I'm sure it will be made more clear at the american event.

Yeah details are quite sketchy, I would think the outside is 3MP and the inside is .3MP. Wonder what the odds are for video streaming when playing online :heh: