NEurope
Chris the great

Rate the last game you played

Ghostbusters (360)

A bit short, but it's a lot of fun destroying objects while capturing ghosts. It's a big shame that the last couple of levels don't have and destructible objects - they're nowhere near as fun as the earlier ones.

7/10

Resident Evil 5 (360)

Pales in comparison to RE4. The characters aren't likeable and the controls feels clunky in the new setting - especially when it turns into a cover-based shooter. It's decent messing about in co-op, but that's about it.

6/10

Just Cause 2 (360)

Uninteresting characters/plot, fiddly controls, dull combat, terrible driving. It's fun to jump off tall buildings/mountains but once you've done that an a few other cool things (like hijacking helicopters/planes) there's nothing new to do.

3/10

FEAR (360)

It's aged quite badly, still decent fun.

7/10

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

I'm only 50 stars through it, but it is utterly brilliant. the level progression is brilliant, and you get to see loads of levels. It was also really beautiful (especially once I got my component cable) - for a three-year-old game on a console that "can't do graphics", the graphics are still amazing. Levels such as Drip Drop Galaxy are jaw-droppingly stunning. The controls have also been returned to the superb quality of Mario 64 after that GameCube I won't mention.

10/10

Red Steel 2 (Wii)

Not that far through this. The graphics are pretty nice (reminds me of Borderlands) and it has a nice setting (which also reminds me of Borderlands). The controls are also wonderful and work much better then expected (except for the Quick Time Events - the detection in those is awful).

I expect this to be a 8/10

I think if you're rating something based on your enjoyment you should use a different scale -- coolness uses 7, others use 5 -- there's just not 10 levels of happiness :P

I think if you reach level 10 happiness your heart stops.

What's there to beat?

I think if you reach level 10 happiness your heart stops.

What's there to beat?

Yeah, but it's kind of hard to limit yourself at 4. I mean, if 9 is the happiest I've ever been, then no game has ever taken me farther than 4.

I think if you're rating something based on your enjoyment you should use a different scale -- coolness uses 7, others use 5 -- there's just not 10 levels of happiness :P

There can be with a game. You can be very happy with a game that you could play it for hours everyday. So the things I rate here is how happy I am with the game.

Deus Ex

Was this the start of 'emergent gameplay?' It certainly feels like it. And for a decade old game, it still comes across incredibly well. It's absolutely brilliant. It's not perfect- poor signposting and a bit of opaque design show their age. The rest is gold, though. Truly gripping, experimental and bold beyond it's years it's still top quality stuff. Butt ugly nowdays but everything below the surface just purrs along. Yes.

Splinter Cell Conviction

I hadn't played a Splinter Cell game since the original years ago and didn't like that as it felt clunky. This feels and plays much better. Feels more fluid, although there are still some hang ups with it but they're things I can live with. Really enjoying the single player experience and trying out different ways to approach each area, although I've still not been at a point where I've been able to slip passed all of the guards without killing them all. ::shrug: Haven't tried the co-op yet but I want to. Just whether I can find the second person to play it.

Art Style: Light Trax

Not the kind of game you'd play for long periods of time but it's fantastic for a short burst of gaming. On the surface, it's simple but when you get into it, it is more complex than the visuals (which are great, a hark back to days gone by even with all of these retro style remakes happening) let on with switches between 2D and 3D visuals, drafting and making use of your boost at the correct times for most effect. It's only 600 points and from what I saw, there's plenty there to keep you going to justify it so long as you enjoy racing games, and obscure ones at that.

Banjo Tooie

Nice little platformer but it has some rather large flaws. The areas are often too large, labyrinthine and have are too many things to collect. The level design is hit and miss, the last four all being pretty interesting, varied and nicely challenging. The first is too easy (even for a first level) and the fourth (water) level is incredibly dull and frustrating because of some poor controls for swimming.

There are moves to be learned that are barely used, which seems wasteful. The game has aged much worse than say, Mario 64 and the character is infinitely less fun to control than mario was. There are still some cool moves though and despite the levels being too large, exploring can still be fun.

Presentation is quite pleasant, the graphics are fine to look at today because of the colour palette used. There is some nice use of humour throughout, the game pokes fun at itself and platformers in general quite a lot. Some fairly memorable characters and decent boss fights. The music for the game is well suited, as is the FX, but the voices are terribly irritating. A lot to do, perhaps too much and for this reason, a worse game than it's predecessor.

Playing this back also gives some good nostalgia value, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone who hadn't played it on the N64 back in the day.

7/10

I completely agree with you there. Banjo-Tooie has aged badly. On the other hand, Banjo-Kazooie has aged beautifully and is still a complete joy to play.

After having it for probably around 2 years, I think. I finally finished Resident Evil 4 on Wii. Last year I couldn't pass the Krauser boss at the end and so I just gave up.

Turns out there is only one tiny level more until the final boss ¬_¬ (FAIL). I'm glad I finished it, the last boss was piss easy though :P

I don't think I could give it a fair review though because I'm pretty sure that I have forgotten most of what happened as I haven't played it in ages!

Oh, is it worth it to do the extra's? Like the Ada Wong (I think that's her name) missions.

Batman: Arkham Asylum

I love this game. Everthing is sublime, presentation is wonderful, as are the graphics. The controls are great, the fighting is seamless and so fluid. I've played it for a solid 5 hours, and I'm only 26% done. So abit to do yet. It's just a joy to play.

9.8/10

I completely agree with you there. Banjo-Tooie has aged badly. On the other hand, Banjo-Kazooie has aged beautifully and is still a complete joy to play.

Banjo Kazooie has aged better, perhaps in part because it's so much more streamlined. The level design in particular is considerably better and more consistent.

What is strange though is how Mario 64 just hasn't aged a bit as far as I can see in terms playability, fun, and truly ingenious level design. Even the water levels are good.