NEurope
Chris the great

Rate the last game you played

ok, so we have rate the last film you watched, rate the last TV saw, deep in the depths i remember a last book you read and we even had a last branded food you ate thread, but i have no recolection of a gamereview thread, which is odd considering this is primerily a gaming site. oh well.

ok, well, I'll go first

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Well, first things first, this is game is half game, half movie. This usualy wears thin quickly, but in this instance, it seems rather charming. The whole game/plot has a real flavour of the Indiana Jones films to it, which really shows in the animation more then anything. Jumps often fall a little short and leave Nate (the main character) hanging on by finger tips, outher times, he will slip slightly and almost drop, which can really make things seem more intense.

Anouther film parrolle for me, would be die hard. Nate has one liners he delivers on ocashion, the odd head shot might lead to "he'l feel that tommorow", new guns will sometimes get an "Oooh! New toy!", but my personal favorite has to be cursing, or a sarcastic "Great" when a swarm of baddies turn up. This really did add to the game, compair it to anouther game with aspirations of movieness, metal gear solid 4 and you don't see snake react like this during gameplay, just the odd grunt of pain.

Gamplay wise, its very much like tomb raider, alot of big jumps and shimmying around. With so many games offering this, (assassins creed, prince of persia etc) its hardly unique, but its still enjoyable. Action sections are pretty much a case of get to cover and pop your head up from time to time. ammo isn't exactly scarse in the game, but you dont hold alot at once, and some gunfights last quiet a while, which means you'l have to break cover to get more ammo. These sections are certainly exciting, and stay clear of the cardinal sin of gaming, repetitiveness. As the game was released in 2007, and featured shooting, it should be no supprise that health is low but regenerates, and that only two guns can be carried at once ( hand gun and heavy weapon, plus grenades)

Graphicly speaking, the game is VERY impessive. not only is animation good, the people are well detailed and the environments are lush and diverse. Anouther nice touch is Nate's shirt, when he gets wet, it looks wet, though if hes only wading in water, theres a line of wetness that stops at the water level. This is a fantastic effect to see, especialy when you don't expect it.

There are, however, a few problems. The game is pretty linear. only seems to be one rout through, and no sections can change the outcome of the game, its just a straight path for you to follow, though this does lead to a lot of set peices. The jet ski sections were a let down, mostly due to the fact the thing handles like a buttered up water buffalo. On ice.

Still, minor flaws asside I really enjoyed it, a great, fun filled action adventure.

8/10

Fracture

Not bad all in all. The weapons work well in my opinion (vortex grenades are freakin' awesome! sadly you dont get them much) and terrain deforming is alot of fun when you want to use it for cover and such. The odd puzzle here and there isn't too bad either, and a driving mission uses it well too. There's a formidable futuristic shooter behind the terrain gimmick though, even if it is a linear affair. The story is a waste of time, well i didn't really pay much attention to it, but yeah, overall it's not a bad game at all. There are so many shooters out there these days that its kind of refreshing to play one that tries something different.

7/10

Batman : Dark Tomorrow

4/10

The reason it gets above a 1 is because It's Batman, and it is the most "accurate" Batman comic game. The way you don't have to fight Scarface (he's dealt with in a cutscene), etc feel comic accurate.

However, It's got UGLY interface graphics, and the worst controls/reaction ever.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

I've been waiting for this game to be released for a long time so I was excited when it came out.

For me, it lived up to my expectations, I thought the graphics were great, the controls were great, the storyline was great so overall, it was a great game, lol.

8/10

Batman Returns (SNES)

8/10

Perfect little game you can complete in 30 mins. Soooo satisfying with the sound effects such as when you throw people against walls and lamp posts. Only reason it gets 8 is because Catwoman is a real bitch to defeat...twice.

Burnout: Paradise.

been playing the bikes update today and it ROCKS. perfect handling, preposterous speed and a luvurly new lighting engine with a day night cycle and haze/fog effects aaaand a whole bunch of new multiplayer and single player content just makes this amazing stuff. It's free too. Genius.

Battlefield Bad Company (Online) - Although the offline mode isn't as fun as the online mode it is still pretty good. As for online, it's fun, fast and full of explosions.

= 7.5/10

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.

I'm trying to get a Garchomp. :D

It's a really fun game and since I completed it, there is still a lot more for me to explore. I often keep going back to it to catch them all! and I can't wait to get my hands on Platinum.

5 and a half (Addictive) Bears out of 7. :grin:

Smash Bros Brawl

Spore

This is the first time I've played a game and actually be able to stop playing it since the Sims 2. It's not fantastic, but I love this type of game and when done well I love them more.8

Sims 2

I love the Sims so much, and just got the final expansion.

Black and white 2

I've loved this game for years, I've never got round to playing black and white 1. Graphics lack abit, but it doesn't really matter too much

8/10

Castle Crashers. I have an unhealthy desire to complete the game with all the characters, and level them up to the max.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Shorty and I used to lose our sanity with realistic difficulty on the original. All new maps and a kinky exp system means I'm eager to play the game -- but it's been a while since I've had to play a game so strategically, and where death isn't a problem (braid, castle crashers multi, gears of war, etc..) so I'm geting peeved at my own inadequacy frequently.

F.E.A.R. is promising so far. I like the story-driven element, but I don't think I can get into it enough. Same with Bioshock, which I've tried several times to get into, but my own crapness prevents me from enjoying it enough.

Bioshock

Played through, getting everything this time. The diaries really add a lot to the story, and overall to the game. Also the way they

Essentially take the mick out of gamers in that they just do what they're told via the mind control thing.

Is utterly fantastic. The levels are brilliantly designed and I loved how you could get absolutely everything in a level the first time you go through it (rather than having to return for stuff) while still letting you return for stuff you missed. Probably in my top 10.

10/10

Edit: Jayseven: Next time you try Bioshock try to remember that you can't actually die. When you do "die" you essentially respawn (so enemies have the same amount of health as the moment you died). You may enjoy it more if you don't worry about health.

Spore

Decent fun for a small while but after a few minutes of each stage you're just playing just to waste time.

5/10

Burnout Bikes

A bit easy TBH, but the challenges are always great. The difference between the cars and bikes is amazing. Hopefully the bikes will be expanded on a bit more sometime in the future. Paradise City looks very different with the day/night/fog/mist. It's free and totally amazing.

I haven't finished Condemned 2 yet, but so far I'll give it a 7/10. It's a love/hate thing (you love it one moment then hate it the next).

Metroid Prime 3

I remember bashing the art a while ago thinking too much of it looked browny-red, but I've been playing through it again recently, and I've actually realised, contrary to my earlier perceptions, it's probably the most visually pleasing game of this gen (well, it's up there with Galaxy and BioShock, certainly). Controls are unspeakable awesomeness too. Only problem is the transition back to dual-analogue feels archaic...

9/10

Edit: Jayseven: Next time you try Bioshock try to remember that you can't actually die. When you do "die" you essentially respawn (so enemies have the same amount of health as the moment you died). You may enjoy it more if you don't worry about health.

You got me! That's exactly why I've been suffering at the game. Reloading past checkpoints rather than starting again with less health/schtuff. I didn't think to question whether the enemies would have more health or not. I'll give it another go :)

Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (NDS)

I haven't played an AW game since the first one. I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

7/10

Scarface: The World Is Yours

The game that is a direct sequel to the movie. The voice over for Tony Montana sounds near identical to Al Pacino. Story is good, locations are spot on as are the details. 9/10

Guitar Hero on Tour

Great fun in short session's and the controls work well, but a weak set list and a limited amount of features brings the product down. Let's hope 'Decades' improves on this.

5.5/10

Black and white 2

I've loved this game for years, I've never got round to playing black and white 1. Graphics lack abit, but it doesn't really matter too much

8/10

<3

I adore this game, must play it again sometimes ^_^

Dinosaur King (DS) - 2/10

Awful. The storyline is dreadful ("Hey, I just made this device that can bring back dinosaurs!" "Awesome!" "I'LL BE TAKING THAT!" "Stop, fiend!" "AHAHAHA! I SHALL TAKE OVER THE WORLD... WITH DINOSAURS!" "ROAAAAAR! *Help... me...*" "Hey, I think that dinosaur wants it to help us. Let's go save the world... WITH DINOSAURS!" "YAY!"). The gameplay is a direct rip-off of Pokémon, with the starting area being almost exactly the same (e.g. Oak's lab), with all the environments, the character models, the random battles, being the same.

Battling actually relies on rock, paper, scissors. You are told what move your enemy will open with, so all you have to do is select the opposite. Your opponent's next move will always try to beat your last move, so you just have to use the opposite of what they'll use again. Jesus, you'd have to have all your fricking brain cells killed off and replaced with a portion of mushy peas to take one damn hit in this game.

Soul Calibur 4 (360) - 8/10

As far as beat 'em ups go, I find it very enjoyable. I hate to say it, but the most appealing part (apart from sexy Voldo!! ) is the character creator. I love making really butch manly guys, and giving them feminine voices and things :D

However, I find that I can never block as quick as I'd like to, and the story mode its self is very repetative.

Star Wars - The Force Unleashed (PSP Version)

Dodgy assed frame rate, boss battles that never seem to end and some really bad controls on this game... I mean, its reasonbly fun and the soundtrack/voice acting/story are all fantastic.

Team Fortress 2 - 9/10

I can think of nothing more satisfying than trolling snipers and engineers as the spy.

Hmm..

TF2: 8/10 - Absolutely brilliant game, we all know that. Unfortunately doesn't run as buttery smooth as I'd like it but it's not unplayable. It's also bloody frustrating sometimes :P

Rock Band: 7/10 - This game, with 3 other people, easily deserves 10/10. But once you've done the solo tours you're left with little to do. I've actually ended up going back to GH3 for my solo play and have been leaving RB solely for multiplayer goodness.

Garrysmod: 7/10 - Would be a perfect score if the game wasn't so prone to crashing. I hate my limited imagination for not letting me create even better things, but god damn it's so much fun anyway.

Last night i bought 2 games.

Heavenly Scord (PS3) 'Ok' I know it has had good reviews but i just find it boring compared to DMC4 and Ninja Gaiden 2. Think i'm just going to take it back. (I may have enjoyed it alot more if i had bought it when it first came out) 3/10

Crackdown (360) Used to have this game when it first came out and loved but but eventually sold it. Just got it back yesterday for £5 pre-owned and i had a good bash on it last night. Great fun game to play, i love jumping rooftop to rooftop! Only downside is its abit on the short side if you just play through the main story. If you go about collecting all the orbs its lasts alot longer. 8/10