NEurope

This is good news and stuff, sure.

Does anyone else, though, think that the online won't be any good even if implemented? It's a fast game and will likely lag like Smash, the Wii just doesn't seem to be able to keep up with those sort of games over the 'net!

I think online will be great, depends on your connection. I have a great connection and I rarely get lag unless some dick with a 56k modem is hosting lol

It is, as with all p2p, connection dependent sure. But the netcode used in Wii games is normally fairly poor. For example, I've got a decent 10mb line that I use all the time for online gaming on the pc with no problems and to be fair with MK on the Wii. Smash just seems to be laggy, sometimes only a little, most of the time. I've always thought that it was just the speed as more inputs require more bandwidth etc so I still think that this game will also struggle in that regard.

I hope not though.

It is, as with all p2p, connection dependent sure. But the netcode used in Wii games is normally fairly poor. For example, I've got a decent 10mb line that I use all the time for online gaming on the pc with no problems and to be fair with MK on the Wii. Smash just seems to be laggy, sometimes only a little, most of the time. I've always thought that it was just the speed as more inputs require more bandwidth etc so I still think that this game will also struggle in that regard.

I hope not though.

Yes, but Smaash Bros. was also 4 player, this however is 2, so you've just halved the problem :)

ive had the jap copy since christmas, its a great fighter. i just wish i could understand jap :) i guess that wont be a problem soon tho :)

But the netcode used in Wii games is normally fairly poor.

If Street Fighter IV is anything to go by Capcom has some pretty capable net code.

Source - Kotaku

Tatsunoko vs Capcom is coming to the West. Hurrah! That's enough cause for celebration, but more corks may need to be popped if the game makes its way over with some online multiplayer.

The Japanese version of the game shipped without it (you could only play against other humans on the same console). Which may cut it in Japan, but in the West, a fighter without online multiplayer just isn't going to cut it.

Which is why Capcom are looking into it. Producer Ryota Niitsuma has told Nintendo Power "We listened to feedback from our fans and marketing/sales teams in other territories in order to implement new features into the game this time around".

While he didn't specifically mention what some of those other features may be, he does strongly suggest the inclusion of online multiplayer, saying "we are still working this out, but stay tuned for more information coming soon".

Promising!

well we won't be getting street fighter 4 so i guess this is our equivilant and not a bad one too.. I only recodgnise the capcom fighters though :)

Only just found out about this getting a PAL release!!!

One question though... is Cammy in it?!

Only just found out about this getting a PAL release!!!

One question though... is Cammy in it?!

NO! Not at the moment, although CAPCOM have hinted at added content for western releases.

Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced that Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is coming to North America for the Wii™ home video game system. Capcom’s popular and critically acclaimed ‘VS’ fighting series is getting an all new next-generation introduction. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom pits Capcom’s iconic characters against Tatsunoko Productions anime superheroes. This clash of heroes face off in two-on-two battles for the ultimate 2D tag-team battle.

Originally released in Japanese arcades in the Fall of 2008, the original Tatsunoko vs. Capcom moved to the Wii console on December 11, 2008. This extraordinary fighter will blend these two rich universes by taking Capcom characters like Ryu from Street Fighter, Morrigan from Darkstalkers and the giant PTX-40A from Lost Planet and putting them against Tatsunoko fan-favorite characters from Gatchaman, Hurricane Polymar, Casshern and more. It’s a battler oyale that delivers match-ups that only exist in fans wildest dreams!

Unlike the more well-known six-button layout that the Street Fighter franchise pioneered, the VS line features a simplified four button system: “Weak”, “Medium”, “Strong” and “Assist” for the tag-team option of. The “Assist” feature adds another compelling element found Capcom’s other “VS” series: allowing players to switch their character on the fly or call for help from their tag-team partner, allowing for spectacular super moves (“Hyper Variable Combination”). Successful execution of the Assist feature can turn the tide of battle on a dime. Historically the VS series excels in integrating the tag-team options by including customized moves like Variable Assist, Snapback, and the previously mentioned Hyper Variable combination that lets both characters on one team perform their Hyper attack.

TvC enhances the above gameplay with new mechanics, including the Variable Aerial Rave that allows characters to be switched in the middle of an Aerial rave. More moves include the offensive Assault and defensive maneuver Mega Crash. Another new gameplay mechanic, titled Baroque, illuminates the character in a rainbow of colors, cancels the current attack and extends combos and damage.

Featuring a robust line-up of characters, the console version added four mini-games and optional control schemes

This “newer” version of TvC, currently dubbed Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, removes one character due to licensing issues, and adds five new ones, online gameplay, more mini-games and an enhanced story mode.

Features:

• 26 fan-favorite characters from the Tatsunoko and Capcom universes face-off in this stylish 2D fighter

• Tag-team battles and customized two-character fighting techniques produce a wild, dazzling spectacle

• Wi-Fi Online gameplay allows worldwide matches

• Four battle modes include Friend, Rival, Free and Ranked Battles

• Match-ups are not restricted to just “Friends”

• Earn Points and Titles (for Title Creation) for all to see

• All-new VS gameplay mechanics creates a new way for fans to return to the series

• More than 20 Mini-game provide additional multiplayer fun

• Enhanced control schemes offer a simplified control scheme option and allow use of the Classic Controller and Gamecube Controller

• Wii-exclusive

Oh they had better not have removed Karas! Damn them if they did!

Nonetheless, the addition of online could justify that, if it doesn't suck :)

Sweet news, overall.

I'm torn whether to get this or get Street Fighter IV when I get a HD console... decisions..

I'm still waiting to get Street Fighter IV on the PC... I might get this aswell, but from what i've seen so far it looks too gimmicky so I may just stick with SFIV :hmm:

:EDIT:

I've been thinking about it, and decided it would be stupid to write something off without trying it. So yeah, i will probably give this a chance :)

Edited by DuD

I'm still waiting to get Street Fighter IV on the PC... I might get this aswell, but from what i've seen so far it looks too gimmicky so I may just stick with SFIV :hmm:

Wouldn't say that's it's gimmicky at all - though at first I thought so as well. You've got full blown combo systems here too, and, the big advantage over SFIV for me, tag team battles (and hence, combos).

I'd get both ;)

Capcom has retracted their original press release and issued a new one:

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, an incorrect version of the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom press release was sent out. The correct version is now available on the press center.

Also, you can find the text for the correct version of the release below.

Thanks!

-Capcom PR Team

Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced that the next entry of the company’s popular VS fighting series, TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM™ ULTIMATE ALL-STARS will be coming to Wii™ this winter.

TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM ULTIMATE ALL-STARS pairs well-known characters from Capcom’s roster of games with some of Japan’s most beloved characters from anime powerhouse Tatsunoko Production. From Capcom’s 30-year history comes characters like Ryu and Chun-Li from the Street Fighter® series, Morrigan from Darkstalkers® and company mascot Mega Man® Volnutt from Mega Man Legends. Tatsunoko’s near half-century of Japanese animation excellence is represented by the likes of Ken the Eagle and Jun the Swan from the Science Ninja Team Gatchaman® anime (known in North America as Battle of the Planets or G-Force), cybernetic warrior Casshan and comedic action hero Yatterman No. 1. All together, there are more than 20 colorful combatants to choose from in order to form the ultimate tag team combination.

Gameplay will instantly set fighting game fans’ fingers twitching, combining elements from Capcom games like Street Fighter and previous entries in the VS series, TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM ULTIMATE ALL-STARS is a fun fighting game designed for all levels of players. Players choose from the combined roster of fighters to create their favorite two man/woman/cyborg/robot tag team, rotating on the fly between the two players throughout the course of each match. Those new to the genre will appreciate the game’s bright visual style and simplified four-button fighting controls. Hardcore Capcom fighting fans will dig in to the game’s depth, uncovering huge Aerial Rave combos and unique Variable Assists, gorgeous Ultimate Hyper Combos, and Variable Combinations that combine the capabilities of two members of the player’s tag-team to unleash huge damage.

TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM ULTIMATE ALL-STARS is new version of the game that released in Japan in arcades and on the Wii in December 2008. Capcom is looking into adding new features to the game, including possible additions of several new characters from both Capcom and Tatsunoko, and is exploring the option of online gameplay. TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM ULTIMATE ALL-STARS will work with a number of different control devices, including Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™, Classic Controller, GameCube Controller and various third-party joysticks designed for the Wii.

About Tatsunoko Production Co., Ltd.

Tatsunoko is a Japanese animation company founded in 1962. The studio debuted in 1965 with its first TV series Space Ace. Since then, the studio has produced numerous original works. The studio boasts highly popular characters which transcend time and space. Its most renowned works include Speed Racer and Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, which are also highly acclaimed overseas. More information can be found on the company’s Japanese website at http://www.tatsunoko.co.jp.

ABOUT CAPCOM

Capcom is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment for game consoles, PCs, handheld and wireless devices. Founded in 1983, the company has created hundreds of games, including best-selling franchises Resident Evil®, Street Fighter®, Mega Man® and Devil May Cry®. Capcom maintains operations in the U.S., U.K., Germany, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Korea, with corporate headquarters located in Osaka, Japan. More information about Capcom can be found on the company web site, http://www.capcom.com.

Capcom, the Capcom logo, Resident Evil, Mega Man, Darkstalkers and Devil May Cry are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Capcom Co., Ltd., in the U.S. or other countries. Street Fighter is a registered trademark of Capcom U.S.A., Inc. Gatchaman is a registered trademark of TATSUNOKO PRODUCTION CO., LTD. “Tatsunoko VS Capcom” is developed and published by Capcom Co., Ltd., partially licensed by TATSUNOKO PRODUCTION CO., LTD. Wii and the Wii logo are trademarks of Nintendo. © 2006 Nintendo. All other trademarks are owned by their respective owners.

Oh great, does this mean the online is out???

Very odd that they would give the full low down then retract it. I will not be a happy gamer if the online is cut.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

<o/ hurrah! This is guaranteed to be at least semi-decent. My only doubt is still whether or not the online will be smooth....

Nah, the edited statement just means that nothing has changed from pre-E3: they're looking into online. Period. No confirmation, no repudiation (do you actually use this word in this context?). No nothing. Still one happy camper though ;)

Nah, the edited statement just means that nothing has changed from pre-E3: they're looking into online. Period. No confirmation, no repudiation (do you actually use this word in this context?). No nothing. Still one happy camper though ;)

Well the first press statement said it was defo in! It's odd to release something liek that and then retract. I hope it is in. I like the look of this even more than SF4 so I'd love to be able to take on people from all over the world.

New interview by videogamer.com.

The interview contains new details on the game.

• Online code.
  • New characters but still unknown.
  • Re-recording of voice actors.
  • New music.
  • Tweaking of characters.

Online still not confirmed - yet they say they're trying :)

I'm more interested in the new characters. I was disappointed that they didn't reveal any.

*crosses fingers for Speed Racer and Phoenix Wright*

Sign in to follow this