NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stefkov

*GB per month download

I'm just wondering if someone can just make some sense of this for me.

I was looking at those mobile broadband things that you can use the internet nearly anywhere. One of them came with 3GB pre installed, another 6GB and another 12GB all for more moneys as you see them listed here.

It got me thinking about it because it's gonna be the same at Uni I think I have a 5GB download limit a month or thereaboutssomethingorother.

What falls under this 5GB a month download? Looking at internet sites you download the webpages from a server don't you, do you? Does it apply to web pages?

Or even online gaming like the 360 or WoW, will playing that keep taking off this thing? I suppose torrenting legal files will take off from my download limit as I'm actually downloading something, I know I am. But does saving a picture from a web page or saving an installation file for firefox from Mozilla count towards it?

This is something me and my bro were wondering about today, how does it actually work?

Probably a noob question but I just don't know.

Anything you do on the internet uses up that data.

Viewing webpages, streaming videos, playing games online, saving pictures.

So yeah, that limit will apply to everything you do. I'm not sure how much online gaming uses, but you can probably download a program which will tell you how much you're using (Windows does it very basically when you right click on a connection and go to properies, data sent and received).

Wow, that's actually lame.

Really lame. I'll download one of these programs then to monitor how much I'm using it. I hope online gaming doesn't use it too much.

Every single bit received from the internet counts for downloads, but don't worry, most online games don't use much.

You're where I am Stefkov!

We all have accounts to login to and there is a website where you can manage your account and see your limit status, etc. I just downloaded Net Metre, which is free, and easy to use to help with it all.

The limit is all internet data traffic. If your after some free stuff that won't add the limit then don't connect to the internet, just the network, and make your computer discoverable. Loads of people have whole seasons of TV shows up for grabs.

That sounds great Wesley. Shino cheers for more advice.

Also Wesley what building you in? I'm in Jenkinson C

Every single bit received from the internet counts for downloads

I think for these 3G internet things your uploads count towards the monthly usage aswell as your downloads :(

I wasn't very sure about this myself either. I have one of the data cards myself (3 data card - s'good) and the wee piece of software monitors what you use. anything and EVERYTHING you do online is counted - even msn.

I use it with msn for a few hours EVERY night, and web browse and watch the odd vid - rarely - and I've never went over my 3GB allowance. Sometimes not even close.

That sounds great Wesley. Shino cheers for more advice.

Also Wesley what building you in? I'm in Jenkinson C

I'm at Myers Block A, right near the store. :D

BT used to have this thing on their website were you answer questions and it estimates your monthly usauge. The questions were stuff like how long do you browse the web for/play games/listen to a radio station(online) etc and it estimated how much you use. It was pretty basic but gave a good idea as to how much you may use. Not sure if it's still on thier site.

I'm at Myers Block A, right near the store. :D

Shit man you're right near me. I'm literally a 5 minute walk away.

I used my 1GB of 3 3G allowance in about 1 week using my phone as a modem, oops! I bet videos (streamed films) eat up a lot of bandwidth...:shakehead I remember the olden days when most ISPs capped their service at a GB a month...seems totally crazy these days. I really dont believe that I used 1GB.... If you are a student, I bet that you'll only be able to get certain things for free through the internet.

I used my 1GB of 3 3G allowance in about 1 week using my phone as a modem, oops! I bet videos (streamed films) eat up a lot of bandwidth...:shakehead I remember the olden days when most ISPs capped their service at a GB a month...seems totally crazy these days. I really dont believe that I used 1GB.... If you are a student, I bet that you'll only be able to get certain things for free through the internet.

Streaming videos will use up loads of bandwidth. A 20 minute programme will probably be around 50mb if not more.

Sign in to follow this