NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Nintendo Holding a Conference- October 2nd

I think it would be a really fun and exciting way to revamp the series that is, quite frankly, getting stale.

I love peoples snap comments regarding a (rather implausible) Pokémon MMO... "I have NO idea about it, ITS GOING TO BE AWFUL."

Realistically however? I'm basically on the brink of hating Nintendo for all that they have become in the last year, I'd never sell my consoles but it'd be nice for them to stop kicking their core fans in the balls, repeatedly, with concrete shoes. And as for a DS with Camera/MP3 player? I'll pass, I already have an MP3 player and a phone with a 5mp camera, just like many others i suspect.

I think it would be a really fun and exciting way to revamp the series that is, quite frankly, getting stale.

But thats the way most of us like it. They introduce new things in every game, but if they changed the formula, there would be an outrage. I'm all for them trying new things but as long as they make new games like the old ones also. An MMO would ruin the series because it there would be no way to go back to the old formula after. A few MMO sort of areas would be fine, like the underground, but other than that, a lot of the fun in the games is getting to start over every few years.

They can still make the DS games, you could still have a different sort of spin off on the wii, with real time battles and MMO.

If it didn't work they could always just leave it like pokemon dash.

I love peoples snap comments regarding a (rather implausible) Pokémon MMO... "I have NO idea about it, ITS GOING TO BE AWFUL."

Realistically however? I'm basically on the brink of hating Nintendo for all that they have become in the last year, I'd never sell my consoles but it'd be nice for them to stop kicking their core fans in the balls, repeatedly, with concrete shoes. And as for a DS with Camera/MP3 player? I'll pass, I already have an MP3 player and a phone with a 5mp camera, just like many others i suspect.

Isn't snap comments Jordan...I have stated here numerous times why it wouldnt work and would suck

And how many videogames have you designed Serebii?

Just because you can't think of workarounds or how to make it work doesn't mean people who make videogames for a living can't.

Just because you can't think of workarounds or how to make it work doesn't mean people who make videogames for a living can't.

I agree.

The other day me and my friend were speculating on how a pkmn mmo could be and we had lots of fun just imagining, playing would awesome.

On the brink? Really?

:P

I wouldn't say it'd destroy the franchise, but it would have to be a monumental effort to work right, so I'm not counting on it.

Well, what have they done, really? I don't think the core audience has been rejected at all.

And that DS/MP3/iPhone copy is just a rumour. If it ever comes to pass, it certainly won't be a new DS. Most likely an add-on.

First of all, I'm glad you admit a 3D MMO is unfeasible. We got that out of the way.

A 2D one could be made, though, and it could certainly work and be good, but here's The catch: there's no possible evolution for the franchise afterwards.

Sure, the game will stick for a while. Sure, they can use expansions to implement new pokémons, bosses, events, etc. Maybe even release a sequel with a bunch of new features and improved graphics. But it would eventually get staler than it is right now.

IMO, the series itself needs some spinoffs. Some that don't exactly rely on catching 493 pokémon the old-fashioned way, but bring some new spin into the franchise.

-Pokémon Ranger was a nice idea;

-Pokémon Snap and Pokémon Pinball were awesome;

-I hated Pokémon Mystery Dungeon's gameplay, but the setting/plot is (IMO) the best thing they have done with the series in years.

And I'm still hoping for that Pokémon fighting game...

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise that I had to have designed video games in order to know what I'm talking about. How foolish over me. I should be ashamed.

Indeed I think an MMO would be awful...

But I think a Pokemon Colosseum-ish game fully in 3D with gyms and league would be much better... and were you can go to all four worlds (Kanto, Johto, etc.)

A pokemon MMO...oh god that would truly be awful. Seriously, the DS games are perfect as they are and their online abilities are great. We don't need an MMO.

I love this image of Nintendo execs making decisions that would annoy us nerds on purpose.

Anyway, if people are talking about what the alledged revival could be, I'm going with Pilotwings.

Pokemon MMORPG.. for Wii...(Please God).

Because its a terrible idea that will destroy the franchise

It's not at all a terrible idea. Why would it destroy the franchise? It's the only deviation from the real game series that's excusable. Here are the games that destroyed the franchise:

Pokémon Ranch

Pokémon Dash

Snap

Ranger

EVERYTHING for that crappy Pokémon console.

A 3D Pokémon MMORPG is the only thing Nintendo can do for a stationary format (bar a singleplayer 3D Pokémon adventure) that wouldn't suck balls! But I'm tired of the millions of Pokémon and Mario games coming out. Nintendo have so many OTHER franchises we want.

Zelda

Pilotwings

F-Zero

Starfox

Excitebike

Waverace

Punch Out

Kid Icarus

Donkey Kong

Earthbound

Yoshi's (story, Island, etc)

Japan is 9 hours ahead of us, and America is behind us, so it wouldn't be 6.30am Jap time. I have no idea what time it is for us.

So 10:30pm Mountain Time = 12.30pm Japan Time = 3:30am GMT+1

I dunno whether to stay up or not...

New DS confirmed tomorrow

EXCLUSIVE: MCV source in the Far East guarantees the news retailers wanted to hear

Nintendo will announce a new, updated version of its DS console at a press conference tomorrow morning, MCV has learnt.

According to our impeccable source in Japan, Satoru Iwata will make the announcement at 5am UK time – as first predicted by MCV last month.

Little is known about the machine's exact extra functions, but we do know the product will be the ‘multimedia’ model mentioned by Nikkei this week – with an MP3 player and camera function.

The launch date and price of the machine is still unknown – but it will be a surprise to see its arrival delayed until after Christmas.

MCV

hmmm interesting unless the new DS gives me stuff I really want I will likely pick up a pre owned lite on the cheap once its launched...

If it gets a release outside of Japan probably same here. Though I still have my original DS, though the paint is wearing off at the edges and has some really faint scratches and I don't want to get a lite just yet. If it gets released here then i'll consider, if it does movie playback, i'll be really interested actually.

Hmm, can't wait for tomorrow. If the rumours about the DS turn out to be true, I'll import on launch for a change.. I'll make it my main MP3 player probably. And for other possible games and announcements.. Well, lets see first, then I'll get excited (or not).