N-Europe

Why Zelda Wii will probably be the best game ever.

Edjamakated

The Zelda games that have been really good have all been the ones that introduced something very new.

The first one was just a new breed of game entirely.

ALTTP was the first 16 bit one which opened up huge possibilities.

OoT was the first 3D Zelda.

MM introduced the whole time/impending doom system.

WW had the whole ocean and was very different graphically.

TP really didn't add a whole lot, so it just didn't seem that good.

TBH, I don't know why people complain about how some Zeldas aren't as good as others. They're still some of the best games out there even if they aren't OoT. FSA wasn't meant to be an OoT beater, it was meant simply to be a fun game. If it wasn't a Zelda, barely anyone would have played it though.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hellfire is right. Happens with consoles too. Every slagged off the N64 for being too expensive, shit cartridges and hardly any games - the PS1 is amazing!!! Cube came out, N64 was incredible, Cube is shit and looks like a fisher price toy; blah blah.

Conclusion? People are fucking morons!!!

Yup, now we're saying the Gamecube was great, Wii is shit... Its times like these when i think Hellfire is actually a genious.

It better be damn good. And yes Nintendo has a chance now to prove they haven´t forgotten how to make awesome games.

In the absence of new IP´s they have to keep making great sequels to their existing ones. However difficult it may be to satisfy core gamers demands. I really think being them these days, must be kind of like being a kindergarten teacher, sitting in front of a crowd of kids all yelling at the same time for different demands to be met. And because they each have different things they (us) liked about various Zelda games already released to market, it can be confusing to find out what they should make next.

That´s why they could use the current salesnumbers from each of the Zelda´s released, to tell which ones were most popular down throughout videogamehistory. Use that as a measuring rod for finding out what direction not to take Link in the next time. Keeping them fingers crossed for a fantastic Zelda Wii!

why i think zelda wii will be the best game ever its because its zelda :P

its nintendos ticket to prove that they are the best so they cant screw this up

They most truly can. As I've stated before, virtually all portable Zeldas, Four Swords, Crossbow Training are screwed up. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess didn't live up to their expectations. Nintendo will have to have a bigger budget, more innovation and perfect technical know-how to make this the best game ever, or even game of the year.

Nintendo CAN make the next Zelda the best game ever, as they did with the original Zelda, A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Or they can do like they did with Twilight Princess: OOT with modern technology. I am truly worried about what the next Zelda might be like. A LOT will be required to make it the best game ever. I must say that TP was definitelly a step in the right direction, but another year in development, totally focusing the game on the Wii would have been necessary to make it better.

Metroid: Corruption and Mario: Galaxy are two excellent examples on how to improve on a series.

They most truly can. As I've stated before, virtually all portable Zeldas, Four Swords, Crossbow Training are screwed up.

I think you need to replace a fuse or something if you think Link's Awakening and the Oracle games are screwed up. Minish Cap, maybe, but the other ones??

Here is an awesome videointerview with Eiji Aonuma on what went wrong with Twilight Princess you all should see and with something on the new Zelda Wii. This is really a must-see interview. Thank God for Youtube; so much great stuff to find there. Since I cannot yet directly link to it, I will give you the title of the interview which you can just type in the search field on the site to find the interview. Title is: The legend of zelda twilight princess video interview.

I think you need to replace a fuse or something if you think Link's Awakening and the Oracle games are screwed up. Minish Cap, maybe, but the other ones??

Minish Cap was a great game. Sure if was short, but it was alot of fun while it lasted.

What Nintendo should do now is look at what made each great zelda great (what it brought to gaming that was new and fun). Then they have to figure out what they can do now that will advance gaming just as much as the other great zeldas did and then make a Zelda game based on that.

tp princess is a really good game the only thing it missed was the feeling that they are living in the villages villages like in ocarina of time or majoras mask that you can interact with the people stuff like that the funny mini games

navi , or the ocarina flute he had in ocarina of time and in majoras mask i loved those parts in wind waker they screwed that one up by giving him a stick :S

i also miss out the magick in TP mmh i really hope they do a great job with the next one

I must say that TP was definitelly a step in the right direction, but another year in development, totally focusing the game on the Wii would have been necessary to make it better.

You're right, it was one year too late for the GameCube and one year too early for Wii. There was nothing in the Wii version the GameCube couldn't do and vice versa.

That said, I'd have been furious if it had been delayed even longer! I really think a "raw" 2005 release would have been best. We could all have enjoyed the motion controls when Zelda Wii came along later.

I also disagree with this idea that people don't appreciate the current Zelda until the next one comes along. OK, I did think people were way too harsh on Wind Waker (and Mario Sunshine, for that matter), but that's different tastes for you. I can honestly say I loved LttP, Oot, MM and WW at the time of release and TP was the first one I didn't think was better than the last.

It was still very good though! It reintroduced bomb-arrows and introduced aquatic bombs, different mounts, horseback fighting and the ability to swing your sword whilst running (a huge improvement). All great things that shouldn't be forgotten for later instalments.

I also loved the music and atmosphere of Lake Hylia, Hyrule Field, the "calm" music after the bosses and the way the boss music changed to something really dramatic when it was time to strike with your sword (thanks to MIDI, if I'm not mistaken). I strongly disagreed with reviews such as IGN's that the game needed voice acting or orchestral music.

What we need for the next Zelda is immediacy, fluidity and immersion! :)

Minish Cap was a great game. Sure if was short, but it was alot of fun while it lasted.

What Nintendo should do now is look at what made each great zelda great (what it brought to gaming that was new and fun). Then they have to figure out what they can do now that will advance gaming just as much as the other great zeldas did and then make a Zelda game based on that.

Minish cap to me felt more like a condensed 'lite' gamecube Zelda game, rather than the original feel of the previous gameboy Zelda games. The style that Link's Awakening and so on had worked particularly well for portables I thought.

Minish cap to me felt more like a condensed 'lite' gamecube Zelda game, rather than the original feel of the previous gameboy Zelda games. The style that Link's Awakening and so on had worked particularly well for portables I thought.

Yes, Minish Cap is a very odd game - a 7/10, I think. Four Swords Adventures (GameCube), on the other hand, is a lovely game and shows how technology can best update the 2D Zelda.

Virtually all Zeldas. Link's awakening is the only one I know is really good, and the Phantom Hourglass also seems to be good. Minish Cap however doesen't feel that great. Nintendo shoudn't have let outsiders make a Zelda...

I agree with Sheikah's "lite" comment, as Minish Cap's graphics felt like they were poor versions of characters designed and perfectly realised in Wind Waker. The GameCube is two generations ahead of the SNES/GBA, so it just didn't work for me.

It would have been great with Link to the Past graphics, but still, it just wasn't one of my favourite Zeldas in general.

EevilMurray, Vaati's final form did take me two or three attempts, but if you get plenty of hearts, potions and the right technique from a good FAQ (I can't remember much about it, personally), it's not too bad.

EevilMurray, Vaati's final form did take me two or three attempts, but if you get plenty of hearts, potions and the right technique from a good FAQ (I can't remember much about it, personally), it's not too bad.

It's not that, it's like the game is physically programmed to fuck me over at this point. When Vaati charges up and you have to turn into 4 Links to send the attack back, one always goes off on a diagonal angle.

ive said before and i'll say again, tp was EXACTLY what we asked for. ore epic, longer, more horse and that. just we didnt like what we wanted when we got it.

as for wii zelda, who knows, to be honest, somthing like TP but with more side quests is all i want. tryiong to make it to much of a real world sin would be like restricting mario's jump to human levels. realistic, but boring.

ive said before and i'll say again, tp was EXACTLY what we asked for. ore epic, longer, more horse and that. just we didnt like what we wanted when we got it.

Not really. And Aonuma says it himself in that interview someone mentioned a few posts back, he says he spent the last year or so of development adapting the game for Wii and that left him with no time to add lots of stuff he wanted to add to the game. My guess? Side-quests, since TP has very little of that.

And yes, I do know that all games ever made have had stuff left out by the developers, it's just that Aonuma himself blames it on having had to focus on other things in the last year of the game's development.

When Vaati charges up and you have to turn into 4 Links to send the attack back, one always goes off on a diagonal angle.

Ah, sorry, I forgot about that. Yes, the "Four Links" is one of those things that didn't seem to fit into that game very well, although I loved Four Swords Adventures on the GC. I must have been lucky, because it's irritating when you can't beat a final boss. My personal nemesis is the Metroid Prime!

I will admit that if the fans wanted a longer, more epic game, then they did get that. Speaking as someone who loves the atmosphere and style of both Wind Waker and the N64 games, I didn't take part in the criticism of WW. What I do think though, is that the 2004 trailer depicts the game people really wanted.

Dare I say it, I think this game started to go off the rails as early as May 2005, its 3rd major showing and when it became known as Twilight Princess. I'd go as far to say that the wolf, twilight and even Midna detracted from the original vision (or at least what it had seemed like).

In my opinion, the 2004 trailer depicts a simple game, heavy on atmosphere. Link is a swordfighting hero travelling on horseback on vast plains, fighting boar-riding enemies. Most of that was in the game, of course, it's just that there was too much tedium between the "wow" moments.

It took me 54 hours to finish the first time (28 the second time), which I thought was too long, so I can't exactly say I wanted more sidequests.

So yes, Eiji Aonuma may have wanted more time to finish "Twilight Princess", but I'd go as far as saying too much detail was added early on - the very detail that made it "Twilight Princess". I really think they bit off more than they could chew, and therefore there was too much to finish off.

But - this is important - I would never criticise Eiji Aonuma or the Zelda team for trying something new. It's just my observation of the game, that's all. The only thing that actually annoyed me was the dual-release stuff, but I've said enough about that, and it certainly wasn't the Zelda Team's fault.

I really think the next game should focus on combat and exploration - be adrenaline-pumping like Shadow of the Colossus.

Grazza wrote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris the great

I will admit that if the fans wanted a longer, more epic game, then they did get that. Speaking as someone who loves the atmosphere and style of both Wind Waker and the N64 games, I didn't take part in the criticism of WW. What I do think though, is that the 2004 trailer depicts the game people really wanted.

Yes, in that trailer we saw what could have been the greatest Zelda ever. But they removed it, and the result was a lesser game. Thanks to time constraints due to NCL management suddenly deciding to move the game over to Wii. A last minute decision which compromised the Zelda game "many many people" had been asking Nintendo for since the WW graphics style shock.

Gone was the many skeletons we were supposed to fight, the new Bottom of the Well-level with half-permeable zombie-like creatures and some other parts that looked a lot like great OOT levels. I revisited all of that lost stuff in Youtube´s The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 2004 SECOND Trailer (copy and paste it, please - to see and recall the same as I did). Those people, including myself, who wanted the return to OOT like worlds and gameplay were blatantly cheated out of a great game that were never to be. Just so that they could rake in more cash on it on the newly introduced Wii console.

I for one didn´t know that those levels had been removed from the game, and so I gladly spent over 300 quid to get to play what was a dumbed down version of a would-be awesome Zelda. Why show us a trailer with levels not found in the final release? I swear in the future I will meticulously examine all reviews with screenshots and videos of any Zelda game they release to first learn what´s actually in it - before I buy it. To not be sidelined by Nintendo and their deceitfull "last minute" decisions. You just can´t do such a thing as to promise one thing and deliver another. It´s bad customer care.

So I don´t know where Chris the Great get´s his idea that we "got exactly what we asked for". Because we just didn´t. Far from. That is something I will encourage all who asked for the TLP would-be sequel to WW to remember to we don´t get cheated again. Only a fanbase which speaks out for it´s rights as customers is ever heard. If Nintendo don´t hear us, they have a communication problem. And I want a great Zelda game which is as awesome to play and be in as OOT was. They can make it they way they want to, it just has to be epic. No compromises, no sudden changes. Their lack of foresight, or whatever it is that caused them to so goof up on planning of Wii titles that they sidetrack the developement of a would-be last great Gamecube game to get it over on Wii a few months before it´s release - is not my problem as a paying customer. Only theirs. But they made it my problem, other expectant gamers problem - by releasing it anyway. Which is just plain unfair.

Nintendo can do it better, and judging from what they have earned recently they have so much money already that I kind of ask the question of what their problem is in employing more staff so that we can get the game we want (me and all of the "many many people" who begged Nintendo for a non-cel shaded OOT-like Zelda since the unveiling of WW and who - still - feel cheated by TLP).

To try something new in a game-series each time is ok, just not if they dumb down the experience or forget what made it so immersive and replayable in previous releases. And I don´t hink it was even Eijii Aouma´s fault at all. I think he was just ordered to do what he did. So the problem lies higher up in the Nintendo management.

Nintendo became famous for making that kind of great game-experiences that other companies could not make (and in many cases are only catching up slowly on mimicking). That is what has earned them their reputation. Don´t they ever forget it, or others may one day claim their crown in videogaming.

Another great post by RPGfan... But I fear that Nintendo don't give a rat's arse about 'customer care' now. Why should they [now]? They can just make a simpleton demo tech "game", add some colour, employ 'real-like' Wii-remote gestures, punt it down the high street and it will sell by the shipload. I don't believe this New Nintendo have the exhuberence and vigour they once had.