NEurope
Dante

Church Sign Kissed a Girl

May you be touched by His Noodley Appendage, friend...

:awesome:

Actually, good example for the "can't prove it doesn't exist" argument. You can't prove there is no FSM, nor can you disprove Russel's Teapot.

If we all become pirates, we may be able to fight off global warming

FSM_Pirates.png

No, it makes you the exception. You're also the first Buddhist to announce themselves as such on this forum, to my knowledge. Yay pacifism!

You're just emotionally blackmailing them.

I never quite got the appeal of eternal life, to be honest. After several million years, I, for one, would be bored, I imagine.

That depends on the kind of life, really... The life with Jesus and in heaven is totally different than the one we're experiencing now.

Nope, that's not how life works. If we could say that anything existed because there wasn't proof to say it didn't, we'd be innundated with a host of magical beings/chocolate talking teapots/invisible newts that could actually exist.

Again, that's irrelevant. It's also irrelevant how difficult or impossible it is to prove something doesn't exist. Ignore religion for a minute.

If you can't prove it doesn't exist, then it's still a possibility.

would any loving god (i assume hes loving cos some one shoutewd god is love in the street once) really condem people to hell for not following his words or breaking trivial orders that dont make sense?

if i had a kid, and i said "dont put your feet on the sofa" came home and found his feet on the sofa, would i cast him out? would i give him to some one to torture for the rest of his existence? no id tell him off but continue to love, and abouve all else protect him.

if that is god, then god isnt love, god is petty and egotistical, not to mention a dictator. saddam used to use threats of tortue and death to get people to follow him, and we pretty much all agree he was a bastard, why should god be any different?

lets not forget, this guy is supposedly responsible for eradicating all of humanity, bar noah and his family, cos angels shagged our women. thats a bloody temper on him.

It appears you're right. I looked it up and something I'm wondering about is why the Nordic countries have so high percentage of Atheism... Sweden, Norway and Denmark have higher percentage than Finland. But I haven't really felt ignored by our government, no.

Oi, Oi, Oi! I take offense to that.

Why is that always when the rest of you Nordic countries talk about Nordic countries you forget to mention Iceland, downright rude if you ask me.

were just as much of a bunch of non-believers as the rest of you.

If you can't prove it doesn't exist, then it's still a possibility.

How is it a possibility, until you prove it is? You haven't a clue whether it is even possible or not.

Possible definition: "capable of happening or existing". If there is no proof for god, how do we even know he is capable of happening or existing? We don't, therefore it's not even a possibility, until you prove it so.

For example, if it was to emerge that a human being was able to cause earthquakes, was in control of an otherworldy club of dead people, performed planet synthesis and was also spawning other humans with no tools other than sheer will, then I suppose we could admit that it's possible there could be another person with the same power, with the name God.

That depends on the kind of life, really... The life with Jesus and in heaven is totally different than the one we're experiencing now.

How do you know all this, other than the Tome Of Contradictions and your psychosis?

Oi, Oi, Oi! I take offense to that.

Why is that always when the rest of you Nordic countries talk about Nordic countries you forget to mention Iceland, downright rude if you ask me.

were just as much of a bunch of non-believers as the rest of you.

I love Iceland, I want to go sometime. I love Bjork, and through here, I've become fascinated by it.

She also said that religion isn't a big thing over there.

Possible definition: "capable of happening or existing". If there is no proof for god, how do we even know he is capable of happening or existing? We don't, therefore it's not even a possibility, until you prove it so.

By the laws of metaphysics, everything is possible. However, as you say, we have no reason so suspect it's existence. Russel's Teapot is the best example of this - it is possible that there is a teapot orbiting the Sun between Earth and Mars, and is too small to be detected from Earth. However, we don't rationally think of it as being possible as there is no evidence of it's presence. The same applies to god(s).

I only saw one church the entire time I was there, and that was the massive, 70's cathedral in Reykjavik. The top of the spire, and I can tell you this from experiance, is fucking blowy.

god(s).

Speaking of gods, it might just be my love of the old Greek mythology, but I'd be way more interested worshipping a pantheon of gods.

I love all the stories they had. They had personalities, family trees etc. I.e they were more relatable.

A lot more interesting than the vague and preachy Bible.

would any loving god (i assume hes loving cos some one shoutewd god is love in the street once) really condem people to hell for not following his words or breaking trivial orders that dont make sense?

if i had a kid, and i said "dont put your feet on the sofa" came home and found his feet on the sofa, would i cast him out? would i give him to some one to torture for the rest of his existence? no id tell him off but continue to love, and abouve all else protect him.

if that is god, then god isnt love, god is petty and egotistical, not to mention a dictator. saddam used to use threats of tortue and death to get people to follow him, and we pretty much all agree he was a bastard, why should god be any different?

lets not forget, this guy is supposedly responsible for eradicating all of humanity, bar noah and his family, cos angels shagged our women. thats a bloody temper on him.

You can only reach Heaven by being born anew. When you were born to earth you were borned by a Human, but to enter the Heavenly kingdom you need to be born again with a heavenly body, and that's only possible for you if you have Jesus in your heart, because Jesus is heavenly. God does not want anyone to go to hell, but as the loving God he is he cannot let Sin enter Heaven. Therefore everyone needs to repent from their sins and get forgiveness, which is only possible by believing that Jesus died for them and their sins, so that we should not be lost but have eternal life. That last part is written in the Bible.

And Mundi, I didn't mention Iceland because Iceland have a lesser percentage of their population that are atheistic... I use this as reference: http://www.impactlab.com/2006/03/26/the-50-countries-with-the-highest-percentage-of-atheists/

Speaking of gods, it might just be my love of the old Greek mythology, but I'd be way more interested worshipping a pantheon of gods.

I love all the stories they had. They had personalities, family trees etc. I.e they were more relatable.

A lot more interesting than the vague and preachy Bible.

Here's a nice fun fact: in ancient Rome, early Christians were called "atheists" by the locals, as most people would accept other people's gods, and would just pray to their own personal 2 or 3 (not even all of their culture's gods). Christians and Jews, however, were big on the whole "no other god but Yahweh" thang, so they denounced everyone else's gods, earning them the label "atheists" and making themselves disliked by all.

And Mundi, I didn't mention Iceland because Iceland have a lesser percentage of their population that are atheistic... I use this as reference: http://www.impactlab.com/2006/03/26/the-50-countries-with-the-highest-percentage-of-atheists/

Those statistics are incorrect and out of date. The Czech Republic, for example, is currently thought to be 95% atheist/agnostic/irreligious.

The percentages for this map are of number of people who hold the belief "there is a god".

Europe_belief_in_god.png

but as the loving God he is he cannot let Sin enter Heaven. Therefore everyone needs to repent from their sins and get forgiveness, which is only possible by believing that Jesus died for them and their sins, so that we should not be lost but have eternal life. That last part is written in the Bible.

remeber that old part of the bible, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone?"

it bassicly said no one is wihtout sin, though by repenting and getting forgiviness, you lose sin. so bassicly, saying im sorry removes guilt. what about mutes, or people in comas, or those who died to suddenly to repent. lets say a man sees a brick falling towards his head, he says "god damn it!" then it hits him and he dies. he has sinned, he has used the lords name in vain, would he go to hell? how is a murder who says sorry any better then a good man who simply dosent belive in god? answer is, he isn't. if a man has been good, and charitable, stood up for his rights and the rights of outhers he does not deserve this punishment.

and what is deemed a sin? pretty much everything. if god going to condem me to hell for wearing garments weaved of two threads, or for working on a sunday then i dont want his approval. id rather go to hell and chill with lucifer, talking about how big a stick god must have up his ass.

also, correct me if i am wrong, but wrath is a sin, one of the seven deadly sins, yet god himself is described as a wrathful god in the old testement. he is in heaven, he is wrathfull, there for there is wrath in heaven, which is a sin so there is sin in heaven.

I love Iceland, I want to go sometime. I love Bjork, and through here, I've become fascinated by it.

Which is very true, to put it into the perspective you can walk around Reykjavik for a day and ask everyone you see if they believe in god and most anwers will be would sound like: Yeah, sure why not.

But deep inside were all a bunch of Pagans :Þ

I mean the reason we took up Christianity was because it was more beneficial than Paganism for us and a secret part of the agreement said that we were still allowed to worship Pagan gods, just in secret.

I only saw one church the entire time I was there, and that was the massive, 70's cathedral in Reykjavik. The top of the spire, and I can tell you this from experiance, is fucking blowy.

Yeah the only "flashy" church would the one in Reykjavik the rest are just around.

It annoys me that so many things in today to day life have a connection with religion. CBA listing them all, but were in the year 2008 thanks to Christians.

Those statistics are incorrect and out of date. The Czech Republic, for example, is currently thought to be 95% atheist/agnostic/irreligious.

The percentages for this map are of number of people who hold the belief "there is a god".

Europe_belief_in_god.png

Okay, well it doesn't look too bad for us Finns after all...

After reading Persepolis, I know in my heart that I hate religion.

Religion is supposed to be a good thing, but in practice it rarely is. It ends up being a tool for people in charge to oppress those beneath them.

Er, on a slightly different tone, did anyone hear McFly's cover of this song on Radio One's Live Lounge today? It was wicked, way better than the original version by that girl who normally sings it.

remeber that old part of the bible, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone?"

it bassicly said no one is wihtout sin, though by repenting and getting forgiviness, you lose sin. so bassicly, saying im sorry removes guilt. what about mutes, or people in comas, or those who died to suddenly to repent. lets say a man sees a brick falling towards his head, he says "god damn it!" then it hits him and he dies. he has sinned, he has used the lords name in vain, would he go to hell? how is a murder who says sorry any better then a good man who simply dosent belive in god? answer is, he isn't. if a man has been good, and charitable, stood up for his rights and the rights of outhers he does not deserve this punishment.

You raise some good points, there are many miss conceptions about sin, many of which Christians fall for.

Basically there is a difference between being a "sinner" and "sinning". After man 'fell' (Adam and Eve in the garden), man (as in mankind) became corrupted, and we live in the 'flesh' (being lead by our soul and body, and not spirit). This fallen man needs redemption (needs to be made right), before he can approach God (who is Holy). This is what Jesus did on the cross, he died so our sin may be forgiven; but we must make a choice to take hold of that forgiveness. Also on the cross we are able to be "born again", in that instead of being corrupted, and living by flesh we can now life by the Spirit. So a "sinner", or more accurately put, someone who is living by the own mortal flesh, needs to be forgiven yes, but they also need to born again, being "raised up in Christ". Even so we have free will and a person, who is born again, still had a flesh and they have the ability to choose to live by the Spirit or by the flesh. So a Christian who has been redeemed and forgiven, wouldn't go to hell for just a single act of unintentional sin. They would be judged for all the things they did (with that which is forgiven not counted). As for those who go to heaven or hell; I and no one else here knows. As I said before; judgement is God's, all we are told is how to get into heaven.

also, correct me if i am wrong, but wrath is a sin, one of the seven deadly sins, yet god himself is described as a wrathful god in the old testement. he is in heaven, he is wrathfull, there for there is wrath in heaven, which is a sin so there is sin in heaven.

I think you may be wrong, as far as I'm aware the seven deadly are not in the Bible. They probably came around in the middle ages or something. Also I wasn't aware of wrathful being described of God (certainly not in the King James Version), you will find scriptures about his wrath though (kind of the same thing), the word is used in the context of vengeance/punishment. When Jesus came he had the right to judge, but he never did (in fact when he replied to the Pharisees he omitted the section of the Isaiah prophecy containing vengeance), because by his own admission the time of judgement is to come, and not for now, so even Jesus; the only person without sin who could well have thrown the first stone (at the woman caught in adultery), instead choose to forgive.

Also I would like to add!!!! We are going to be taken over by pirates!!! :smile:

Which is very true, to put it into the perspective you can walk around Reykjavik for a day and ask everyone you see if they believe in god and most anwers will be would sound like: Yeah, sure why not.

But deep inside were all a bunch of Pagans :Þ

I mean the reason we took up Christianity was because it was more beneficial than Paganism for us and a secret part of the agreement said that we were still allowed to worship Pagan gods, just in secret.

Yeah the only "flashy" church would the one in Reykjavik the rest are just around.

There's a small church at Þingvallir as far as I remember and I'm sure there was another one somewhere in Reykjavik, but yeah, didn't see a whole lot of Christianity going on up there. Can't blame you for taking up the old Nordic gods either. Thor and Odin have some amazing stories and don't forget that pesky Loki who'll bring about the single coolest apolcalypse ever.

gaysign.jpg

This is the sign now

pssh. havent you homos ever heard of spacing!? alignment?!

as a graphic designer i protest!!

as a human being i applaud :heh:

...but is it art?!