NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Nintendo Wi-Fi Network Adapter

We're sure Nintendo has some market analysis that justifies this device, because the company has just announced their Wi-Fi Network Adapter for the Wii and DS. I know what you're thinking: The DS and Wii already have Wi-Fi. This unit is actually a Wi-Fi router/bridge for those who don't already have wireless networks in the first place. Available in Japan on September 18th for 5,800 yen.

networkadapt_wii.gif

2_1.jpg

up.jpg

uramen.jpg

A really odd idea. Every time we're hoping Nintendo is away working on something we really want, they pop up with something nobody was asking for in the first place, instead. Do they listen to us at all?

I'm guessing that this is a Buffalo wireless router in a new shell that's only compatible with the Wii/DS and is more expensive than the original Buffalo router.

TBH, something that allows the DS to connect to the Wii for playing online would be more useful (due to wireless security incompatibilities).

Plus they should have made it look exactly like a mini-Wii with a little Wii stand.

Edit: Also, I wonder if this will work more than 5% of the time...

Yeah, my friend has internet that is incompatable and this looks like a much better idea than the usb wifi thing. U dont need to have ur computer on and it doesnt need to be XP and its on all the time. Its a pretty good product I think. Might not come out of japan though... So it doesnt really matter to us.

Right now, I've got some crappy old wireless router that crashes every-time you want to use it, and an Apple Airport Extreme. The Crappy one is for Wireless B (for my DS) and G (For my Wii, and PowerBook, G4 and My sisters iBook). The Airport Extreme is only set to do Wireless N (For my Dad's MacBook Pro, and My mom's MacBook) It is able to do wireless G, but not B, so if the other one gets taken down, I won't be able to play DS games online anymore. So I might buy one of these just for my Wii DS and PowerBook.

Looking at it, I doubt it has an HDD inside, unless its just a 1.5". Plus Reggie said the storage solution wouldn't be HDD based.

With all the routers out there though, I'm not sure why Nintendo would decide to make their own. Obviously this is going to be AOSS or something better though to make it easier to connect for people who have no clue how to hook their Wii up to the internet.

I never saw the point of AOSS. I mean, I did use it for a while, but Buffalo routers are so easy to access and alter security codes. Anyway, now I've got my laptop, I've had to put everything on a standard wireless signal, and it doesn't make any difference with a Wii or DS.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Is this going to be a "real" router or more along the lines as the Nintendo Wi-fi USB connector?

The Wi-Fi dongle was dire - broke on the day of the Wii launch. :(

I was about to say the same thing. Except mine hasn't broken. Actually I can't really tell.

Sign in to follow this