NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The Bard

PC Building

Whats not to like? The card runs faster than the 9800GT, it's DX10.1 compliant and has the usual extra features you find in ATi cards.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146428

The 4850 is a 9800GTX+ competitor, it wipes the floor with the 9800GT.

After doing a bit of reading (reading the specs provided by ebuyer, leads somneone to believe that the cards are the same, and the both support DX10) I am buying an HD4850 :) Thanks alot for the advice and saving me from buying a 8800GT with a new name. Link of peoples comparisons between 9800gt and HD4850

Me delaying my purchase really shows that things happen for a reason.

Ok I just got my PC components today and was wondering if it is necessary for me to use thermal grease for my processor and its heatsink (which I unfortunately don't have, but from what I have read, its more of an upgrade than needed).

Assuming these are new parts then there's already thermal paste on the heatsink. It'll self-apply when you fit it to the processor. You *should* only need your own tube if you take the processor-heatsink unit apart, or if you fit custom coolers to the CPU or Graphics Card

Well it turns out im a bit fucked anyways as the graphics card turns out to be a little too large for the case, getting in the way of the psu which is atx size, but larger than the other atx psu that came with the case (which still would give me the same problem if I used that).

So I have 3 options. Get a new gfx card that's smaller (dont think thats possible), get a new case (a shame as this one was really pretty and a very nice size) or get a smaller Psu (not sure thats possible while getting the same power output).

The case was mAtx sized but could fit an ATX board as space for the PSU was made at the bottom near the front.

Here are some links: PSU - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/102993

Case - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134832

EDIT: There is a fourth option, which I think I will take for now, which is to have the case open with the psu outside ¬_¬

Well it turns out im a bit fucked anyways as the graphics card turns out to be a little too large for the case, getting in the way of the psu which is atx size, but larger than the other atx psu that came with the case (which still would give me the same problem if I used that).

So I have 3 options. Get a new gfx card that's smaller (dont think thats possible), get a new case (a shame as this one was really pretty and a very nice size) or get a smaller Psu (not sure thats possible while getting the same power output).

The case was mAtx sized but could fit an ATX board as space for the PSU was made at the bottom near the front.

Here are some links: PSU - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/102993

Case - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134832

EDIT: There is a fourth option, which I think I will take for now, which is to have the case open with the psu outside ¬_¬

Least you won't have any overheating problems :D

I had bother with my graphics card in an mATX box, the box had two levels and the motherboard tray slid out, so the graphics card had to go no further above where the screwy bit is. Unfortunately I have a big bitch of a heatsink on BOTH of my graphics cards which go over and above the card itself.. Its kinda one you don't think you need to worry about but turns out you do. AFAIK, you can get half sized graphics cards, but they aren't super fast or anything

Least you won't have any overheating problems :D

I had bother with my graphics card in an mATX box, the box had two levels and the motherboard tray slid out, so the graphics card had to go no further above where the screwy bit is. Unfortunately I have a big bitch of a heatsink on BOTH of my graphics cards which go over and above the card itself.. Its kinda one you don't think you need to worry about but turns out you do. AFAIK, you can get half sized graphics cards, but they aren't super fast or anything

Yeah the card i had previously was, well normal sized. These new ones are just obese! Decided to buy a new case and send this one back. If I can that is. Also leaving the PSU outside of the case is dangerous as it can generate static that way and blow up so, for now, my old comp will suffice.

Yeah the card i had previously was, well normal sized. These new ones are just obese! Decided to buy a new case and send this one back. If I can that is. Also leaving the PSU outside of the case is dangerous as it can generate static that way and blow up so, for now, my old comp will suffice.

No way of modding the box at all so it will fit?

I found the newer cards are very very long compared to the ones a few years ago, can run into issues if you have heatsinks sticking out of your motherboard. I had a northbridge zalman cooler after the fan went, and it interfered with my longer card ¬_¬

And the expensive, faster ones have big fat plastic cover things... I never understood that tbh :D

Think the problem is that websites aren't specific enough with measurements in most cases.

No way of modding the box at all so it will fit?

I found the newer cards are very very long compared to the ones a few years ago, can run into issues if you have heatsinks sticking out of your motherboard. I had a northbridge zalman cooler after the fan went, and it interfered with my longer card ¬_¬

And the expensive, faster ones have big fat plastic cover things... I never understood that tbh :D

Think the problem is that websites aren't specific enough with measurements in most cases.

VERY true. No way to mod the case unless I got some serious hardware, which I dont have. Not too bothered as I dont have an operating system for it yet, but I was wondering if I could install my hard drive which is sataII, to this old comp of mine which is, old and im not sure if the newer hard drives and backwards compatible. If I was able to install it, could I then install windows vista to it, while the first hard drive still has windows xp on it?

VERY true. No way to mod the case unless I got some serious hardware, which I dont have. Not too bothered as I dont have an operating system for it yet, but I was wondering if I could install my hard drive which is sataII, to this old comp of mine which is, old and im not sure if the newer hard drives and backwards compatible. If I was able to install it, could I then install windows vista to it, while the first hard drive still has windows xp on it?

Yeah, modding cases can be a bit hardcore, and when you do there can be serious airflow issues arising from it too.

If it has sata ports you should be able to. If it's pretty old I doubt it does.

What your saying is you want to install Vista on a second harddrive, on your old pc?

You can dual boot, but don't expect to like move the harddisk onto any other pc, the dual boot thing will probably fuck up and the OS is formatted to the hardware of the pc you format it on (so it *generally* doesn't work on another pc)

Yeah, modding cases can be a bit hardcore, and when you do there can be serious airflow issues arising from it too.

If it has sata ports you should be able to. If it's pretty old I doubt it does.

What your saying is you want to install Vista on a second harddrive, on your old pc?

You can dual boot, but don't expect to like move the harddisk onto any other pc, the dual boot thing will probably fuck up and the OS is formatted to the hardware of the pc you format it on (so it *generally* doesn't work on another pc)

Thanks for that. Trying to wait for the new case to arrive, but getting a little impatient so tempted to just use the case for this pc, take out all the parts and put in this stuff.

Thanks for that. Trying to wait for the new case to arrive, but getting a little impatient so tempted to just use the case for this pc, take out all the parts and put in this stuff.

The "new computer" bug has another victim. :D

Its fantastic getting a new pc. I'd be tempted but I have two workstations/desktops in my room that rarely get used as it is :heh:

The "new computer" bug has another victim. :D

Its fantastic getting a new pc. I'd be tempted but I have two workstations/desktops in my room that rarely get used as it is :heh:

Lol yeah, the motherboard is sat in its box atm, with the huge gfx card sticking out of it. the ram and processor are sat inside too just tempting me to do something with them.

ANYWAYS, are those workstations unsued because they are old? Your room must be very large to have space for those. Actually I can talk. Got two cpus underneath this table, but one is a mate's that im supposed to be attempting to fix...

Lol yeah, the motherboard is sat in its box atm, with the huge gfx card sticking out of it. the ram and processor are sat inside too just tempting me to do something with them.

ANYWAYS, are those workstations unsued because they are old? Your room must be very large to have space for those. Actually I can talk. Got two cpus underneath this table, but one is a mate's that im supposed to be attempting to fix...

Gooo onnn you know you want to :heh:

I've got two big cases under my desk and dual monitors keyboard on the desk. 2nd pc is a server so it only connects through a ethernet cable, and doesn't need a monitor etc. The server is old, but the PC is pretty reasonable spec. Basically I got a laptop, and now its just too tempting to sit in bed with it than be all respectable and sit at a desk. Pft. :D

Gooo onnn you know you want to :heh:

I've got two big cases under my desk and dual monitors keyboard on the desk. 2nd pc is a server so it only connects through a ethernet cable, and doesn't need a monitor etc. The server is old, but the PC is pretty reasonable spec. Basically I got a laptop, and now its just too tempting to sit in bed with it than be all respectable and sit at a desk. Pft. :D

So many people seem to set up their old pcs as servers. I gotta know. Why? What benefits does it bring?

And I have managed to abstein from touching this crappy computer. about 18 hours more and I should have a new case to put the new stuff in so I think I can wait (though work is gonna be such torture tomorrow).

So many people seem to set up their old pcs as servers. I gotta know. Why? What benefits does it bring?

And I have managed to abstein from touching this crappy computer. about 18 hours more and I should have a new case to put the new stuff in so I think I can wait (though work is gonna be such torture tomorrow).

Well you don't have to hook it up to a seperate monitor/keyboard/mouse or buy an expensive switching unit. Cause a server is only connected via network and you remote desktop onto it via another computer.

Mine runs well as a server because it has a server processor (opteron 170) and ooooodles of harddisk space (1.7tb) so really it made sense. And its a bit of experience setting up server utilities n whatever else. Perhaps curiosity more than anything.

I didn't want to waste a good computer, that isn't worth anything to sell on. I mean lets face it with all these budget PC's around nowadays whose gonna buy a second hand one??

But mostly - It was the first computer I built myself and I hadn't the heart to get rid :(

Also: you can host your own website from your server, if you have the know-how (and have it switched on and online 24/7)

I just wanna throw it in here, I don't see the need in a new thread.

I've heard it before but though nothing of it but I'm hearing it now. There's a kind of clicking noise or scratching noise coming from the pc. It's like the noise my old computer made when writing to the disk.

The HDD is failing isn't it?

I hope not...

New computer is ace. Nice new computer's rock. That is all. Oh and foxkeh for firefox is uber cute. Now, that is all.

Sign in to follow this