NEurope
Garden Pigeon

College Help

Hah, it seems the only time I post here is when I ask for advice.

Anyway, I signed up and just had my first week in college, I took a National Diploma in Moving Image and I want a career in either Film or TV.

I figured this was the best choice because I was told it was equivalent to 3 A-Levels, is this actually true? If I get 3 high distinctions in this course will I have the same chance as say... A grade A-levelers to get into a good university?

I also don't know anyone at this new college but that'll sort itself out after a couple of weeks.

Now, I put off the idea of going to the sixth form at my old high school, its where all my old school mates are and theres still a 2 week period to transfer, if I wanted to.

Thing is, if I took media as an A level, I'd have to do all the radio, magazines, newspapers etc, and I figured thats just wasted time on my part. Plus, they don't have many good resources for video production, no After Effects or Final Cut Pro, and only a couple of hand held DV cameras.

So, whats best for me? Which of the 2 has the better chance of me getting a good place in Uni? I seem to ask teachers this but they always dance around the question, I want a proper answer from people who have been through it all.

Thanks a lot.

Hah, it seems the only time I post here is when I ask for advice.

Anyway, I signed up and just had my first week in college, I took a National Diploma in Moving Image and I want a career in either Film or TV.

I figured this was the best choice because I was told it was equivalent to 3 A-Levels, is this actually true? If I get 3 high distinctions in this course will I have the same chance as say... A grade A-levelers to get into a good university?

I also don't know anyone at this new college but that'll sort itself out after a couple of weeks.

Now, I put off the idea of going to the sixth form at my old high school, its where all my old school mates are and theres still a 2 week period to transfer, if I wanted to.

Thing is, if I took media as an A level, I'd have to do all the radio, magazines, newspapers etc, and I figured thats just wasted time on my part. Plus, they don't have many good resources for video production, no After Effects or Final Cut Pro, and only a couple of hand held DV cameras.

So, whats best for me? Which of the 2 has the better chance of me getting a good place in Uni? I seem to ask teachers this but they always dance around the question, I want a proper answer from people who have been through it all.

Thanks a lot.

I believe its the same as 3 c grades.

I believe its the same as 3 c grades.

Your kidding right?

edit: I just looked that up and I found this

57% of National Diploma in Art & Design students gained top grades of 3 distinctions compared to 15.2% nationally. This equates to 360 UCAS points the same as 3 A level/GCEs at Grade A.

I did Media Studies at uni and I didn't need such high points as that. Plus I only used DV tapes and shit at college, then started using final cut pr0 at uni.

If you're expecting expensive university resources like final cut at college, I fear you may be in for a disappointment.

Media Studies might largely be about things you're not interested in, but that doesn't mean it won't be of any help. I think the system is Distinction = A, merit = c, pass = e.

Thanks a lot.

I took a dipolma in IT and I finished in June, it's absolutely true that it's 3 a levels, although the marking is alittle different:

A = Distinction

C = Merit

E = Pass

There's no in between, but it can be quite easy to get AAA, within the units you'll study. I found it easy to get into alot of universities with 240 points (which is three Merits) which is CCC, so it's not always a matter of getting straight A's :).

I took computing for basically the same reason you did, I didn't want to do anything else, and yet I was still able to go to games design when I go to uni in a couple of weeks. I found the resources on my course really lacked too, the programming sucked, I hardly ever did any hand work on computers etc, but that doesn't seem to matter to most universities, because at the end of the day as long as you have the right grades/points all they want you to do is pay them so you can learn whatever it is they are trying to teach you!

I'd say stick with the dipolma, through personal experince I found it was much better because I sucked at exams, so I got grades through coursework instead, not only that but you don't have to take extra subjects, which is handy if you only one to do one thing! It doesn't effect your entry to university at all unless you get PPP instead of MMM for uni :)

/ramble

If it's abit confusing let me know!

edit: my friend in my course got AAA (or DDD as it's actually marked) and got a scholarship/sponsorship from a couple of unis; meaning quite abit of money to help and equipment (like a free laptop and such I believe, he also gets a scribe because of something I can't remember what), it wasn't hugely difficult to get DDD, it's just alot of time and dedication. So it's quite possible to get decent marks. I got MMM which was perfectly acceptable for MMU/ sheffield hallam/ staffordshire (which has a fab games/music bit) and a few others. So don't worry too much about grades.

Nightwolf has it bang on.

DDD = AAA = 360 UCAS Points.

MMM = CCC = 240 UCAS Points

PPP = EEE = 120 UCAS Points

Mix 'n' match. : peace:

For comparison, the course I wanted to get on to asked for 260 UCAS Points, at Bournemouth University. That's basically CCB, so you'd need DMM. (Although to be honest they'd probably let you on with MMM, Uni's do tend to lower their required grades).

All this said, however, some Universities do not accept certain qualifications towards UCAS points. For info on this you can look on the UCAS website, or your institute should have a UCAS program that has all the universities and what they accept for your course and stuff. :smile:

I did Media Studies at uni and I didn't need such high points as that. Plus I only used DV tapes and shit at college, then started using final cut pr0 at uni.

If you're expecting expensive university resources like final cut at college, I fear you may be in for a disappointment.

They have Adobe After Effects, Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, Encore and Photoshop on the computers in the TV studio at my college (its an Art, Media and Performance college), they also have lots of big industry cameras and dollies, a green screen etc. I guess I got lucky and found a good college then?

I think I'll stay knowing that distinctions are worth A's.

Thanks a lot guys.

My degree was in Media Production and I did a Media Studies A level and whilst the A level was good for learning about theories etc. The practical side of the course was awful.

In my group at uni I had a guy who didn't do A levels, (I guess it was a diploma) He was far superior at everything than anyone else, he had spent all his time focusing upon the practical side and unlike A Levels he didn't have to do any other subjects.

Be prepared to move to London (if you don't live there already) because there is nothing any where else (a tiny bit in manchester, hopefully more if the BBC move there)

Be prepared to move to London (if you don't live there already) because there is nothing any where else (a tiny bit in manchester, hopefully more if the BBC move there)

Haha, the divine plan is to goto America and try and get into a uni there, I think if I'm gonna get anywhere with film production, I'm best off getting my degree there.

Failing that, I'm not opposed to London.

Thanks a lot everyone, you've made me feel a lot better about my course choice.

Nobody ever reads my posts anymore. GRUMBLE!

Haha I read it, I based my decision to stay on the list of grades you gave.

Also, I think personally I prefer the technical side of films, the computer programs and camera work etc.

Nobody ever reads my posts anymore. GRUMBLE!

I made a huge post and it looks like mine wasn't really replied to either, stop worrying.

I read all the posts, and I said thanks for everyones input, I don't see what the problem is lol.

haha I wouldn't worry about it either ;)

I made a huge post and it looks like mine wasn't really replied to either, stop worrying.

I did! I even agreed with you :heh:

*high 5*