NEurope
weeyellowbloke

We're all going to die....

I had an argument with some one on msn over this experement, she belived it was going to end the world, i explained that the risk was minute, and just about every single competent physisict had said it wasnt going to happen. she said if we dont know what would happen, we shouldnt do it, saying the experement was too big and expensive and had no point, i rattled out a list of reasons why it was possibly one of the most important physics exeperements of our time, if not ever, and that it was more likly to bennifit the world then destroy it.

she did what all people do when their logic is quashed, she went quiet and didnt talk again.

Pwned.

But seriously, anyone who thinks were all going to die, has been fed so much B/S by the media. Does anyone seriously think the vast number of countries would donate millions of pounds / dollars for an experiment that would end the world? OR the fact scientists would be willing to perform an experiment which such a big risk?

Of course not, if I hear another person claiming we're all going to die, I will......... ask them politely to do some damn research and come back with an educated answer of why we shouldn't do this experiment.

And.... we're still alive, no suprise there then. :heh:

Seriously now, this whole 'LHC is going to kill us all' nonsense is getting stupid! The media are cunts, just look at what happened to that poor girl. Enough said.

Imo, if Stephen Hawking says that these end of the world theories are a load of crap, then that's fine by me. :)

As interesting as the results of the test will be, I'm most interested to see how it's side products will benefit mankind. For example I heard something about some fancy computer systems all linked up (though nothing new), it may well improve the way these sorts of systems work, and maybe make applications like 'folding at home' (running protein folding simulations; something I’m keen to do when I upgrade my pc) more widespread.

Also I believe I'm right in saying physicists invented the internet, but was it the people from CERN?

As interesting as the results of the test will be, I'm most interested to see how it's side products will benefit mankind. For example I heard something about some fancy computer systems all linked up (though nothing new), it may well improve the way these sorts of systems work, and maybe make applications like 'folding at home' (running protein folding simulations; something I’m keen to do when I upgrade my pc) more widespread.

Also I believe I'm right in saying physicists invented the internet, but was it the people from CERN?

I thought everyone knew that Al Gore invented the internet :heh:

haha,

serious note though, yeah I read something about that too, some system they've come up with and called the "The Grid" i think it was and is suggested to be the next evolution of the interwebs.... or.... you know... SKYNET :shakehead

i belive i read that cern invented the internet to share files. this is from the book angels and deamons by dan brown.

i watched a segment on telly about how america invented the internet, the military linked communications systems together in a net like structure, so that if one machione went down, it didnt take em all out (think old xmas lights) this was on newsround.

i watched a segment on telly about how america invented the internet, the military linked communications systems together in a net like structure, so that if one machione went down, it didnt take em all out (think old xmas lights) this was on newsround.

The yanks created the internet, but an Englishman (Tim Berners-Lee) at CERN invented the World Wide Web and HTML code.

That's what I love about this thread. No matter how many times people repeat that the chances of us being sucked up by black hole is next to nothing, the majority still believe it's going to happen. Thta' the power of the media, I guess.

Nah, not the media. More the fact that CERN agrees that the possibility is there. That's what makes people mad, as they can imagine for themselves how it would be if it went all wrong. People just get worked up.

Nah, not the media. More the fact that CERN agrees that the possibility is there. That's what makes people mad, as they can imagine for themselves how it would be if it went all wrong. People just get worked up.

There's a possibility that turning a light on could blow up your house. It's minuscule, but there's still a possibility.

There's a possibility that turning a light on could blow up your house. It's minuscule, but there's still a possibility.

Bloody hell I'm not turning on the lightswitch again :shakehead

The chance of the Earth being hit by a life-ending meteor is much higher. The only two near-missed that have been spotted were both after they had passed. The chances of us seeing it before it hit would be second to none.

There's a pretty good Q&A bit with one of the scientists at LHC on the BBC website. It lays everything out nicely in plain english.

Also love this guy simply for the ending:

Wow, tell it like it is why don't you. He also responds well to one of the most ridiculous questions on there.

Plant RNA evolving during the Big Bang? You're early by a few billion years mate.

From that link:

HAVE YOUR SAY

I think it is disgraceful that huge sums of cash have been spent on this project

Robert, Spain

In-fucking-credible.

That's what I love about this thread. No matter how many times people repeat that the chances of us being sucked up by black hole is next to nothing, the majority still believe it's going to happen. Thta' the power of the media, I guess.

I don't think many people do think this will be the end of the world. But it's fun to pretend.

HAVE YOUR SAY

I think it is disgraceful that huge sums of cash have been spent on this project

Robert, Spain

And the amount spent is nothing in comparison to what China spent on the Olympics.