NEurope
Dan_Dare

Left 4 Dead: A Thread For Suvivalists

sadly, you're probably right- but only because Valve can run their own show with DLC and prices on PC. Luckily, the 360 deadicated servers (sorry) are rock solid compared to the shamelessly shit net code for TF2 on consoles.

sadly, you're probably right- but only because Valve can run their own show with DLC and prices on PC. Luckily, the 360 deadicated servers (sorry) are rock solid compared to the shamelessly shit net code for TF2 on consoles.

I don't see any er.. sadness in it, FPS are better on a PC, communicating is easier, even if not everyone has headsets there's always a keyboard, and Valve's games thankfully work fine on non-super-powerful PCs. Which I find freaking awesome.

The biggest problem with PC gaming is that you need to upgrade constantly, lots of 360 games that came out recently that I would like getting I would prefer getting them on the PC, but even with minimum requirement numbers making it barely, because of shader compliance, bugs, etc etc, they wouldn't work. Valve games do and that's awesome. I've never played Valve games on 360, but they're supposed to work fine no? So, as long as they all work well, even if they're better on the PC, I think it's pretty good. After all, Sony and Microsoft are striving for convergence, one machine to rule them all and this is a step in that direction I suppose and it's not totally bad.

The great thing about Valve games is the mods/user-made map.

Although Left 4 Dead I just prefer the Xbox Live setup, plus I don't have a Wired Xbox Controller for use on the PC (I'm not fond of Keyboard/Mouse).

Likewise. I wasn't overly impressed. I haven't given it a try online as none of my friends have the demo. Don't wanna get a random match cause I could end up being paired with some American idiot spouting crap at me down the headset.

Got a decent enough PC? Get the steam Demo and I'll play with you. Won't even spout crap at you despite my americaness.

Shot apple a PM with my Steam, guess I'll post it here too though.

Current Handle: Nolan7689

Hellfire, thunderer is a member on these forums that shows up very very occasionally, generally in General Chit Chat. RL friend of mine too :heh:

Played the demo a bit the other day. Wasn't overly impressed :P I mean, it looks fun and stuff, but Shorty and I agreed that you run far too fast, it's easy to get a bit confused with the maps (alcohol didn't help, and I'm sure with a bit more experience it'd be a doddle), which are a lot smaller than I was hoping they'd be.

I do think I ought to love the game if I had a chance to play it online with peeps, but these days a game needs to offer some good reason to keep re-playing it over and over, and I'm not sure if the whole randomly generated enemy spawning is that much of a plus... I guess I ought to give the demo another go!

It's pretty easy untile you get to the hardest difficulty tbh. The Source engine also shows it's age a bit in this game, the Half Life 2 style graphics are a tad dated, they should have revamped the engine like they did for TF2.

I wouldnt say it was poor but I thought it was meh.

At eurogamer expo i thought it was poor. Looked last gen (for 360), felt like a pc game on a console. You had to have your reticule on a weapon to pick it up... Gameplay was bog standard and teamwork felt iffy. Even R2 has a more varied coop mode with more complex scenery and shootouts. I think Valve really need to update their game engine. Its out of date now. The whole concept screams quick cash in.

What's going on in here then? Sure it's not quite in the same league as some of the triple A's that have come out recently (read: Fallout 3) but I've been having a blast with it. It can be a bit of a clusterfuck when the horde charge in and I accept that the graphics are a bit basic, but the game does everything it says on the tin and then some.

I think hype has a big part to play in some of the reactions here; I'm susceptible to a bit of it myself, but more than anything the demo delivered on popcorn-thrills like the Zombie B-Movies it nods at, and my excitement for the full game hasn't taken any dents so far.

I agree with Apple I think this game rocks. Classic coop play and when the horde first attacked me it was a genuine wow moment. I would rather have these graphics (which I think still look sweet) and that amount of enemies rather than insane graphics with less enemies.

At eurogamer expo i thought it was poor. Looked last gen (for 360), felt like a pc game on a console. You had to have your reticule on a weapon to pick it up... Gameplay was bog standard and teamwork felt iffy. Even R2 has a more varied coop mode with more complex scenery and shootouts. I think Valve really need to update their game engine. Its out of date now. The whole concept screams quick cash in.

It wasn't made by Valve, which probably explains the dated look. Turtle Rock Studios liscenced the Source engine to make this game, then Valve bought them in February. Turtle Rock likely didn't have the time or resources to make a proper revamp of the source engine (ala Team Fortress 2) and by the time Valve bought them it was a bit late to go back to the drawing board.

It may seem a bit dated, but i'm still expecting it to be the best multiplayer game i've played this year.

How come the specs are so different to Half Life 2, thought it was the same engine?

Half Life 2;

Minimum: 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: 2.4 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Left 4 Dead

Minimum:

o Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64

o Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz

o Memory: 1 GB

o Graphics: 128 MB, Shader model 2.0, ATI 9600, NVidia 6600 or better

o Hard Drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space

o Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Recommended:

o Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64

o Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz

o Memory: 1 GB

o Graphics: Shader model 3.0, NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better

It's namely the processor that screws me over... I would have thought running it even on minimum settings would have meant the specs were relatively similar.

The engine has gone through numerous updates, namely the removable of legacy API support(DX7 and DX8 cards). L4D also requires a fair bit more power due to the larger numbers of enemies and AI all going on at once.

I played with theguyfromspark and thought it was excellent. Really enjoyed it. I can see how it'd be a bit dull by yourself though, but with friends it's a blast.

The engine has gone through numerous updates, namely the removable of legacy API support(DX7 and DX8 cards). L4D also requires a fair bit more power due to the larger numbers of enemies and AI all going on at once.

Ah right...means I have no chance of picking it up anytime soon...

Man this game is so DAMN GOOD! If you don't like it then you seriously must either hate playing with other people, not like a single FPS ever or are just an emo.

I wish I didn't have to work this evening, so I could keep playing it all day :(