NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

Players Choice series?

Do you think we see one soon. Launch games like Twilight Princess and Red Steel that have sold over 1m. have been out for almost 2 years. Do you see nintendo releasing a budget price series similar to the gamecube and N64 in the near future?

I don't think we'll see anything soon. Ninty can still make money of those title as full price so I doubt they'll lower it.

Yeah, that's what i hate about the games on Nintendo's system. They drop in price way too slowly. Fact is, first party games just keep on selling, even years after release. So why lower the price if the market eat it up at full price?

I'm sure I replied to this a second ago. I guess there was just a database error or something like that.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'd rather see them do something to promote games that were good but didn't sell that well.

I was reading a discussion about game pricing the other day and they were saying about how long it takes for Nintendo games to drop in price too. Its not quite that bad though because there are still deals online to take advantage of, and you can get decent enough prices if you take the time to shop around.

Who wants Players Choice though? They would have different covers and would mess up the equilibrium of our collections! :p

Who wants Players Choice though? They would have different covers and would mess up the equilibrium of our collections! :p

I've noticed stores usually have both the players choice version and the normal version (both new) and they sell them both at the reduced price. So, most of the time you have a choice.

i'd rather Nintendo promote the Zelda's and Metroids, perhaps with some money off vouchers in more casual games, and bonus videos on-disk.

I doubt it, considering the higher prices of 360 and PS3 games, Nintendo most likely set the games price point (and the hardware) to sell without the need of an official price drop. Effective business strategy if you ask me.

Besides, I don't want no crappy cases.

Xbox and Playstation games are actually cheaper though. They go down in price very fast and 9/10 times you can pre-order a game for the same price as a Wii game.

I guess the slight saving grace here is that if you buy a first party title at launch, you don't have to worry about it having halved in price after 2 months and knowing that if you waited, you could have saved a lot of money.

The thing is that system is selling strongly still but to to two types of people.

The more traditional gamers have done their research and know what they've missed out on. If it's still available, then a fair few are willing to pay full price for those titles and Nintendo aren't going to stand in the way.

The other side is the social gamer who is more than satisfied with Wii Sports, but they pick up a few party games to go with their collection. Now these party games come out cheap to begin with to appeal to those people, since they know the traditional gamers will turn their nose up whatever the price. So there isn't a need for reductions on those titles either until the inevitable sequel comes out. Which leads nice to my final point.

A lot of, not all, Nintendo franchises don't see sequels in the same generation. If there is nothing better on the market than what's been put out already, they can get away with a higher price for longer.

I doubt it, considering the higher prices of 360 and PS3 games, Nintendo most likely set the games price point (and the hardware) to sell without the need of an official price drop. Effective business strategy if you ask me.

Besides, I don't want no crappy cases.

yes but you're saying you'd rather pay more ?

just for a better box essentially? Nintendo's business strategy rarely interests me.

I would rather not have a different box tbh but then for an extra tenner off... Well I would definitely be swayed.

This said - the point about Xbox and PS3 games is not a pricing problem per se. Those games tend to have massive first weeks then drop off completely, hence the price drops. This happens all the time on those two consoles, watch in two weeks when Too Human is like £20-30. Nintendo's "bigger" games seem to have more legs, Galaxy is certainly still in the charts top 20, possibly even TP is too. It's very difficult to drop a game price without a substantial drop in demand.

yes but you're saying you'd rather pay more ?

just for a better box essentially? Nintendo's business strategy rarely interests me.

Pay more? Please, by the time player's choise titles come out there are loads of places where you can get games cheaper, even new. I have loads of Wii games that I bought new much cheaper than what it would have cost had it been player's choice. And if there were player choice titles, sellers are realizing that they can sell the normal versions for more, creating a false sense of rarity, not to mention that prices don't drop proportionally, because that would mean selling a game for a nickel.

Pay more? Please, by the time player's choise titles come out there are loads of places where you can get games cheaper, even new. I have loads of Wii games that I bought new much cheaper than what it would have cost had it been player's choice. And if there were player choice titles, sellers are realizing that they can sell the normal versions for more, creating a false sense of rarity, not to mention that prices don't drop proportionally, because that would mean selling a game for a nickel.

yes but how many of those game swere nintendo made.

it's not always the case though some of the later gamecube games stayed at their full price even on-line bar ebay.. can be very awkward..

mario kart DD never dropped in price,( and are we even going to call that a "later" gamcube game ?)

I personally do not CARE about boxarts and neither do most people.. players choice ensures a €30 or less price.

It's been 2 years since twilight princess and same deal..But i understand where you're coming from on ebay etc.. Certainly a disadvantage.

but It comes to down to.. Do you care about the box or not? A lot of people on this forum do but generally.... nah people dont.. Now let me explain that i'd prefer a brand new box but I have bought games €10 less without a box before.. I would do that and i'm a gamer who waits until games get cheaper.

I do care about box, I'm a collector, so I only get a player's choice box at last resort. I mean, it's not the end of the world anyway. And I usually buy Nintendo's games as soon as they come out :P

I do care about box, I'm a collector, so I only get a player's choice box at last resort. I mean, it's not the end of the world anyway. And I usually buy Nintendo's games as soon as they come out :P

there we go :)

im not much of a collector and thats where our difference lies :)

I've never really cared about the box, but I'd probably buy one that had the normal box if the two were side by side on a shelf. The other thing the players choice thing does though is it tells newer gamers that this is probably one of the better games. But unfortunately, I have a feeling that any sort of players choice thing on the Wii would end up being things like Red Steel and Carnival Games.

there we go :)

im not much of a collector and thats where our difference lies :)

My main point is, I've always got the games cheap regardless of player's choice existing or not. I bought Scarface the other day new for 10€, BWii for 15€, Kameo for 12€ and some more.Sure, if you only go to "normal" stores and don't search for good deals, this might affect you, but I don't even see that many player's choice/platinum/classic games that would make such a difference.

My main point is, I've always got the games cheap regardless of player's choice existing or not. I bought Scarface the other day new for 10€, BWii for 15€, Kameo for 12€ and some more.Sure, if you only go to "normal" stores and don't search for good deals, this might affect you, but I don't even see that many player's choice/platinum/classic games that would make such a difference.

this really only applies to nintendo games and the major ones at that.. Try to get twilight princess for €15.

I know bwii could be classified as an nintendo game but it's not really in the same league. Same applies for excite truck sometimes.

Yes you get the odd good deal. scarface is extremely cheap these days but you can STILL get the store that sells it for 60 and hopes for the best.. at the player's choice garuntees a set price or lower.

The smart gamer knows the search for a good deal anyway but the player's choice helps.

I have a feeling that any sort of players choice thing on the Wii would end up being things like Red Steel and Carnival Games.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see what Wii games they would put on the players choice range. I'd say that most of us here have the games we want anyway, so players choice wouldn't affect us -that- much.

With the dominence of online buying these days, I honestly don't see it being something anyone needs.

Example: Mario Kart Wii is continuing to sell millions... that is why the price has been kept at its standard RRP.

But look at something like No More Heroes - that game wouldn't be on such a list, but the beauty is we're getting prices as low as £15 online.

The thing is that once Nintendo slap "players choice" on the cover, the retailers really can't sell the games at full price. I think Nintendo should have a special packaging for budget games, in the same style as Players Choice. Why? Because I walked in to Game a few weeks ago, and what did I see? RE4 for the Wii being retailed at full price. They are making a ridiculously big profit on that. Budget games are for us to get cheap games, and nothing else!

The thing is that once Nintendo slap "players choice" on the cover, the retailers really can't sell the games at full price. I think Nintendo should have a special packaging for budget games, in the same style as Players Choice. Why? Because I walked in to Game a few weeks ago, and what did I see? RE4 for the Wii being retailed at full price. They are making a ridiculously big profit on that. Budget games are for us to get cheap games, and nothing else!

exactly my point.

Player's choice helps.

There are big pros and cons to this and I'm not talking just to the publishers, this is obviously great for Nintendo.

Biggest problem is, like you said, it's easy to find old games at full price and that for people that aren't versed in searching for good deals is bad. On the other hand it makes for a more "free pricing" strategy from stores, where they can drop the price themselves sooner than normal because it won't drop officially.

What pisses me off is the discrepancies between countries on games that shouldn't be full price. Boom Blox here is 40€ I think, yet I read people saying they find it in UK or US at 50/60/wtvr. Endless Ocean here is full price, so was RE4 for a while (at least I've been seeing it cheaper in some places). darkjak I don't know to what extent that's true, considering that games that aren't player's choice but are officially half price are full price at most stores. I've seen 360 classics at full price, I shit you not.

No doubt that for the most part and the average joe, players choice games are a plus, but honestly I don't care and since there were never that many, meh. 3rd parties can do their budget titles though.

There are big pros and cons to this and I'm not talking just to the publishers, this is obviously great for Nintendo.

Biggest problem is, like you said, it's easy to find old games at full price and that for people that aren't versed in searching for good deals is bad. On the other hand it makes for a more "free pricing" strategy from stores, where they can drop the price themselves sooner than normal because it won't drop officially.

What pisses me off is the discrepancies between countries on games that shouldn't be full price. Boom Blox here is 40€ I think, yet I read people saying they find it in UK or US at 50/60/wtvr. Endless Ocean here is full price, so was RE4 for a while (at least I've been seeing it cheaper in some places). darkjak I don't know to what extent that's true, considering that games that aren't player's choice but are officially half price are full price at most stores. I've seen 360 classics at full price, I shit you not.

No doubt that for the most part and the average joe, players choice games are a plus, but honestly I don't care and since there were never that many, meh. 3rd parties can do their budget titles though.

I have never seen a player choice,platinum or classic game at full price anyway.. That must have been lucky.. Like the time where I found the metroid prime demo for ds being sold(and at full price)

Perhaps It may be different where you are but generally nintendo games are much more expensive than any other console because game stores etc have no idea when to drop the price until they see a budget logo.

You're only hope it preowned and even then they barely take more off

and wii games are hard to rent here as well so it all sucks.

Sign in to follow this